U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 05:43 PM

8,232 posts, read 4,599,053 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news that Shreveport and Monroe are flooded. The pics show buildings with the water halfway up.

Is it flooding in Lafayette?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:35 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,710,142 times
Not even remotely close to flooding

Old 03-12-2016, 01:57 AM

971 posts, read 1,246,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Not even remotely close to flooding
That is good news Innotech. Local news here last week was showing FEMA, after 3 weeks, still couldn't get to the flooded buildings in Missouri.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:09 PM

2,817 posts, read 6,931,087 times
Most of the flooding took place in South Bossier City and Haughton up to east North Bossier City. Shreveport didn't get hit near as bad. The Red River has yet to rise significantly.

Shreveport's elevation is slightly higher than Bossier's and has fewer bayous. Their main concerns are the lakes. Cross lakes residents are experiencing near shore flooding and Caddo has been evacuated in the areas surrounding the lake in both La and Tx.

I have lived here for most of my 60 years and I never have seen this much rain. Hurricanes don't usually bring this much up here and we never saw a drop out of Katrina. The weather is getting to be more puzzling and bizarre as time goes on.

Last years rain was the worst I had seen but this years is worse. Thankfully many areas in south La were spared. I know some weren't.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 AM

5,237 posts, read 2,524,769 times
In and around bodies of water will always have a list of challenges in heavy downpour. Some places people make a choice to build right on the edge of the lake and wonder why their boat house, back yard and in some cases their homes flood.
Remember the people who built "inside the levee". That is and should be illegal by every measure. But people either got cheap land and built big nice homes, or they have more money than they know what to do with and can easily rebuild after a flood.
I have personally seen properties built various waters edge, the lawn dissolves into the body of water. I just don't see how that is reasonable. Maybe if there was a cliff of some sort with very stable soil.

Some areas have dips in the land grade and some areas are natural water flow channel and people still build there.

There are tools on the Internet for checking flood prone areas.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 03-13-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM

14,353 posts, read 20,788,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Most of the flooding took place in South Bossier City and Haughton up to east North Bossier City. Shreveport didn't get hit near as bad. The Red River has yet to rise significantly.

Shreveport's elevation is slightly higher than Bossier's and has fewer bayous. Their main concerns are the lakes. Cross lakes residents are experiencing near shore flooding and Caddo has been evacuated in the areas surrounding the lake in both La and Tx.

I have lived here for most of my 60 years and I never have seen this much rain. Hurricanes don't usually bring this much up here and we never saw a drop out of Katrina. The weather is getting to be more puzzling and bizarre as time goes on.

Last years rain was the worst I had seen but this years is worse. Thankfully many areas in south La were spared. I know some weren't.
Bogalousa seems to be just as bad as Haughton and Bossier. The northshore was ravished.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:03 PM

2,817 posts, read 6,931,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Bogalousa seems to be just as bad as Haughton and Bossier. The northshore was ravished.
I heard about that today and also the North Shore. I really hate it for them and other states ravaged by this storm.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 AM

5,237 posts, read 2,524,769 times
At some point, I think people who deny it will have no choice but to understand what is " Global Warming". The very same things that scientist have long predicted seems to increase in the cycles of occurrences. We as a society, can't remain in denial nor ignore nature and think we can do things adverse to the courses which exist in nature.

If you build in a down-slope or other grades which geologist and others have mapped out and even taken steps to say it is with risk and hazard is high, and we ignore those things because its marketed and sold cheap. Then we are going to have issue and causality among those who fail to heed these things.

I wish to see none harmed or their property destroyed. I think if our system put liability to some level back on developers, Real Estate Agents and Brokers, then not only would regulations become regarded, full disclosure would also become a 'sign off factor", rather than selling this stuff to people based on " fair weather imagery", with full spectrum knowledge and information that a flood zone exist or other such things.

People have to think in terms, what was the terrain more than 100 yrs ago, if it was a natural drain off channel, it is likely that such has not changed from being that, under certain conditions.
I cannot for the life of realism understand why anyone would choose to build "inside a levee", when the whole point of the levee was to build a barrier region to avert the flood potential from being a direct hazard.

Houses less than 50 or 100 yds from a lakefront, with no up-slope of any type, is a potential problem waiting to happen.

It truly sad, each year such thing happen to so many who can't afford to move, even once they discover the area is in a high hazard zone. These people become victims often with no recourse and no resources to recover what has been lost.

I saw some properties when I moved here and though the price was very interesting, with backyards that had direct access to the Lake, it looked like an ideal imagery caption. The fantasy of fishing in ones own back yard, having a boat dock and such looked great. Then; I thought, "Snakes", !!!!!!! Then, I thought about how I'd seen the media about the Mississippi River Floods and how the water devastated land and it suddenly became far less attractive and the price factor was not very appealing when the risk were factored. I kept thinking, geez!! its too easy for "Snakes" to come out of the water and hide or lay around the land, so it became a non considered thing.

Besides, I'm not a fisherman, nor a boating person so just looking at the lake, I can drive to it and do that.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:43 AM

11,493 posts, read 9,204,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
At some point, I think people who deny it will have no choice but to understand what is " Global Warming". The very same things that scientist have long predicted seems to increase in the cycles of occurrences. We as a society, can't remain in denial nor ignore nature and think we can do things adverse to the courses which exist in nature.

If you build in a down-slope or other grades which geologist and others have mapped out and even taken steps to say it is with risk and hazard is high, and we ignore those things because its marketed and sold cheap. Then we are going to have issue and causality among those who fail to heed these things.

I wish to see none harmed or their property destroyed. I think if our system put liability to some level back on developers, Real Estate Agents and Brokers, then not only would regulations become regarded, full disclosure would also become a 'sign off factor", rather than selling this stuff to people based on " fair weather imagery", with full spectrum knowledge and information that a flood zone exist or other such things.

People have to think in terms, what was the terrain more than 100 yrs ago, if it was a natural drain off channel, it is likely that such has not changed from being that, under certain conditions.
I cannot for the life of realism understand why anyone would choose to build "inside a levee", when the whole point of the levee was to build a barrier region to avert the flood potential from being a direct hazard.

Houses less than 50 or 100 yds from a lakefront, with no up-slope of any type, is a potential problem waiting to happen.

It truly sad, each year such thing happen to so many who can't afford to move, even once they discover the area is in a high hazard zone. These people become victims often with no recourse and no resources to recover what has been lost.

I saw some properties when I moved here and though the price was very interesting, with backyards that had direct access to the Lake, it looked like an ideal imagery caption. The fantasy of fishing in ones own back yard, having a boat dock and such looked great. Then; I thought, "Snakes", !!!!!!! Then, I thought about how I'd seen the media about the Mississippi River Floods and how the water devastated land and it suddenly became far less attractive and the price factor was not very appealing when the risk were factored. I kept thinking, geez!! its too easy for "Snakes" to come out of the water and hide or lay around the land, so it became a non considered thing.

Besides, I'm not a fisherman, nor a boating person so just looking at the lake, I can drive to it and do that.
Difference is 24/7 cable news. Climate change is constant. The problem with south Louisiana geography is not rising water levels. The problem is the soil is soft and is slowly sliding into the Gulf of Mexico. The combination of water channels made to easily access oil rigs and dikes to restrict water ways has led to the decline of the coastal wetlands. Without all these things the coastal wetlands would still be in good shape and the Mississippi river could have probably slightly altered course bypassing New Orleans. Imagine the Morganza Spillway being the new path of the Mississippi river.

I'm old enough to remember scientist predicting a coming ice age and now they're predicting global warming. When the climate didn't exactly fall into their predictions, it became global climate change. Problem is, climate is always changing. Louisiana has had far more devastating floods in the past. Difference is the increased state's population and property (homes and businesses) and a 27/7 cable news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana