Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:06 PM

104 posts, read 452,733 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello Louisiana,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Louisiana, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”? [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM

104 posts, read 452,733 times
Default ?????

Guess not?????......

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 PM

177 posts, read 792,855 times
I'm not sure about Mayberry cause I live in the city. If you want fun things to do you'll have to stay close to the bigger cities. There are festivals in smaller towns but not every weekend like in N.O. The Northshore (Mandeville, Covington, Abita Springs) might be your best bet as Abita Springs is sort of a small town feel but not too bad a drive from N.O. The schools on the Northshore are much better than most areas of the state.

The two major power companies I am aware of are Entergy and Cleco. I know there's a pretty good bit of telecommunications as well (primarily microwave and satellite) for the oil industry for communication to offshore platforms. Telephone is primarily AT&T (formerly Bellsouth). Nursing is a HUGE need in New Orleans right now so you shouldn't have any problem in this area.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:25 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
You might want to look at Pineville, a small city across the Red River from Alexandria. Alexandria has about 50,000 people and the metro (which includes Pineville) has about 130,000. The Pineville area is clean, safe, economically healthy, has good schools by Louisiana standards, and seems to have a low cost of living overall. There are not too many community events that I can think of, however. The Pineville area has rolling hills and is heavily wooded. Kisatchie National Forest is nearby and there are plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities in the area. Pineville has the headquarters of the Cleco power company. There are two large hospitals in Alexandria. Overall, Pineville is a good place to raise a family.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 PM

36 posts, read 239,758 times
There are a lot of "Mayberry's" here in LA. A tip for hunting and fishing if you will be hunting public land would be to check out the Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries and check out the WMA's and NWR's maps and see where they are located. Louisiana is known as the "Sportsman's Paradise" and that it is. As far as a phone company, I would advise to use AT&T as well and stay away from CentryTel.

LDWF Link:
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries

Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM

438 posts, read 1,509,205 times
Go back to Georgia. Take it from someone who grew up in both Louisiana and Georgia. I was born and raised in the Lafayette area, except for about 5 years when we lived north of Atlanta. I would consider that area of Georgia vastly superior to Louisiana, at least the Lafayette area. Schools there are much better than Louisiana. Georgia leads the south in education.

I'm in a similar situation as you. We are getting out of the military after 10 years. I couldn't even imagine moving back to Louisiana after living many different places. But, if you like an alcohol-worshiping materialistic community, Louisiana is for you.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,068 times
Default Yes..Louisiana is the place

Take a look at Pineville. We are smack in the middle of the state and right across the river from Alexandria. Plus only two hours from everywhere. two hours north is Shreveport. 2 hours South is Baton Rouge. 1 hour to lafayette. 3.5 hours to New Orleans. Schools are great. My kids have all gone through the Public system. No problems. Got one at LSU right now. He loves it. My husband is the Director of Nursing at a Rehab Hospital. There is plenty of work for an RN in all fields. I've got military family and they all have come home to Louisiana even after living in many places. Plus Pineville has Camp Beauregard, Ft. Polk is 1 hour away, Barksdale Air force Base is 2 hours away...I think we've got it all. If you're an outdoorsman then you'll surely love LA. Golf is great too.

Hope this helps!
k

Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
I was born and raised in Shreveport and lived in Lafayette for two years. I liked both but haven't been back home for many years. Sounds like you and your wife won't have any trouble getting a job anywhere SO why don't you think about what type of geography you want to be around? For example, do you want to be near the coast, or in the mountains, hot and humid, or snow areas. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 21,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy-n-Iraq View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hello Louisiana,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Louisiana, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”? [/FONT][/SIZE]
I'm relatively sure that there will be job availability for you when you get out. There is still so much building going on here in Slidell. Right near where I live, there is the biggest housing development in the U.S. being built right now.
Nurses are badly needed in Slidell. There are 3 hospitals here and numerous clinics.

I love this town. I moved here from Michigan 3 years ago, and the people couldn't have been sweeter. Family is important here, but they have time to let you in and offer to entertain you on holidays, etc.

Parades abound, there's a great Art League with a Fall Arts Evening (free) where artists set up their work in a business. There are free concerts in a park, you are a short distance to New Orleans.

I don't see how you can lose. Great little town!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy-n-Iraq View Post
[SIZE=3]Hello Louisiana,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Louisiana, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”? [/SIZE]
I lived in Louisiana until I was 21, and yes some people are rowdy and love to drink and party. Beyond that, I miss the sense of family. I have a father who pulled himself up by his minority bootstraps (home and property owner) with the sweat of his brow and the dubious aid of a 6th Grade education. I had a mother who was quick hand a to hot meal to an neighbor or a family in need. Her motto was, "there's always room for one more at the table" My childhood, though happy, was not particularly privileged, but I received love and good examples for living in abundance. For the most part, the people I know are hardworking, friendly, uncomplicated and God-fearing. If you choose carefully the community in which you plan to settle, I believe you will be pleased. There are couple of military bases in the state. England Air Force base is in Rapides Parish, I think. There may be opportunities for a career there. The federal government does hire civilians, and you get a veteran's preference. Healthcare is one of the largest industries in the state, so your wife would be set. I hope you check it out, because Louisiana can only be helped by more good solid people relocating to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana