Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,104 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm about to graduate university in Florida, and I received a full time job offer in northern Baton Rouge. So now, I'm on the hunt for an apartment. My price range is between 600-800. I'd like to be away from college students, but still near downtownish/where young professions tend to live so I'm not completely isolated (i also want the apartment complex to be safe). Does anyone have any advice on what some good apartment complexes are that fit these requirements? Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Check out Lake Towers. It's downtown and is in the oldest neighborhood in the city.

Other than that, there are a few complexes and townhouses in Mid-City along Government St that are close to your price range. It's hard to get something in that range close to downtown, but not near LSU.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 AM

370 posts, read 446,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iah12 View Post
Hi there,
I'm about to graduate university in Florida, and I received a full time job offer in northern Baton Rouge. So now, I'm on the hunt for an apartment. My price range is between 600-800. I'd like to be away from college students, but still near downtownish/where young professions tend to live so I'm not completely isolated (i also want the apartment complex to be safe). Does anyone have any advice on what some good apartment complexes are that fit these requirements? Thanks so much
You are in the classic struggle that big city employers put college students into.

Your price range is way too low and will likely put you in a high crime neighborhood.

Baton Rough traffic is terrible and the cost of living is very high.

Finally, make a long term plan for saving up enough money to eventually buy a place of your own. If that rent of 600-800 is breakeven for you then this job is likely not very good.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
You are in the classic struggle that big city employers put college students into.

Your price range is way too low and will likely put you in a high crime neighborhood.

Baton Rough traffic is terrible and the cost of living is very high.

Finally, make a long term plan for saving up enough money to eventually buy a place of your own. If that rent of 600-800 is breakeven for you then this job is likely not very good.

I am in a job that is paying a great salary, thanks for your opinion though. I simply just want to be responsible and not have to pay so much for rent so that I can save my money for more useful things-such as my savings account.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Check out Lake Towers. It's downtown and is in the oldest neighborhood in the city.

Other than that, there are a few complexes and townhouses in Mid-City along Government St that are close to your price range. It's hard to get something in that range close to downtown, but not near LSU.
I'm definitely going to check that out, thanks! I am willing to go higher if I have to, I just wanted to save money for my savings account when I do receive my paychecks and all that.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 AM

221 posts, read 183,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iah12 View Post
Hi there,
By northern Baton Rouge, I'm assuming you'll be working north of downtown. With that in mind, you may want to check out some of the smaller places around Spanish Town. You'll be doing a reverse commute, so traffic won't be anywhere as bad as it is for most of us. I haven't been apt hunting in years, but a 1br in the $800/month range doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Spanish Town is located in the northern part of downtown with an eclectic mix of residents. Plus, you'll be right in the middle of the action during the best Mardi Gras parade in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: