Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 02:01 PM

10 posts, read 11,310 times

Advertisements

Hey There

So this is my very first time ever posting on one of there forums do yeah excited Anyways...

I'm originally from Peoria, Illinois. Ever since I was a young girl, I've always wanted to move down south. I don't really know what influenced my decision as of down south, but yeah, it has always stuck. I am planning on making that move very soon. I am 21 years old. I am a single, African-American women who in fact will be down there by myself. I have lived on my own for some time now. The furthest away from home has been 4hrs away and I currently live in Iowa. My family and I are close but I want to travel and I want to relocate to Louisiana and that is something my family doesn't want to do. I currently have my Certified Nursing Assistant license and within a week or two I should have my Certified Medical Assistant licence. I just love the southern hospitality the south has to bring. I am excited to taste all different kinds of foods, be involved in all of the festivals. I am a big art person and also enjoy museums and learning about ones true history as a city, state, etc. I plan on getting another cat and hopefully a newer vehicle once I make that transition. I currently am working at Juvenile detention treatment center and at a nursing home. I plan on majoring in Criminal Justice and obtaining my Licensed Practical Nurse licence.

My main goal for this post is to see what people have to say about Lafayette, Louisiana and the true knowledge and insight of the city, googlers like myself won't find on the internet. As always, just traveling alone won't truly give me the best of information as oppose to living there

How is the city life? What are the good/bad neighborhoods? What’s the job market like? Gas prices? Best time of the year to move? Things in general I should know.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time out to read this and possibly responding <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,303,312 times
First off, welcome to Lafayette!

If you are in the medical profession you should find plenty of work here.

This is is a city with a soul. There is a joy of being alive and celebrating what we have. The city pulses with that excitement at times, although the recent economic downturns due to oil layoffs has made things a bit more difficult lately.

Youll experience a whole lot of festivals and events certainly, and the food all throughout this region is to die for. A lot of restaurant owners and new startups try their luck here, and the competition is pretty significant.
We are home to two Cajun historical villages and cajun culture is very prevalent throughout. Youll hear french and youll see a lot of it written and printed.

The music has a flavor all its own and Lafayette has a very lively and storied music scene.

Regarding bad neighborhoods, its best to stay away from the Evangeline throughway area and certain parts of Louisiana avenue corridor.
Lafayette has very apparent bad areas, but its not spotty, they are defined places to avoid. Its not street by street. Gang activity isnt a major problem for example.

The oil business is way down at the moment as you might have heard and that is a significant part of the citys job market, however Lafayette is still experiencing a lot of growth with lots of amenities and retail getting built citywide. The airport is about to get expanded as well as the construction of a large new central city park for example. Its a city on the up.

Gas prices are pretty low. You wont have sticker shock dont worry.

IMO best time to move is in Spring or fall when its not crazy hot, as you arent used to this level of heat and humidity. Also in spring you can tour a lot of bird rookeries and gardens in the region which come alive in April as well as the areas best music festivals. Winter is really mild. You might see snow every 6 years in tiny amounts.

Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: