U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:40 PM

11,607 posts, read 10,281,121 times

Advertisements

If you look at population growth, Lafayette has consistently been growing (even in a current oil bust) whereas Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport, and Monroe have stagnated. Even Baton Rouge has stabilized since 2010. New Orleans is another story because of Katrina and rebound from it, but New Orleans is still not back to pre-Katrina levels.

I've heard that Lafayette annexes large parts of town and that is the reason for the growth. Is that true? Why hasn't that happened in Lake Charles or Shreveport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:51 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,687,183 times
Im not sure really but its a nice place to raise a family.
It is also pretty affordable relative to how much there is to do and events and shopping.
Of course the food is also fantastic

Also, the real areas of growth are around the city. Carencro, Scott, Broussard, and especially down here in Youngsville are growing extremely rapidly and a new shopping center seems to get announced every month.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Im not sure really but its a nice place to raise a family.
It is also pretty affordable relative to how much there is to do and events and shopping.
Of course the food is also fantastic

Also, the real areas of growth are around the city. Carencro, Scott, Broussard, and especially down here in Youngsville are growing extremely rapidly and a new shopping center seems to get announced every month.
Interesting. I heard Youngsville is the fastest growing city in La. Why do you think this is so?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Interesting. I heard Youngsville is the fastest growing city in La. Why do you think this is so?
Youngsville is tiny and theres a lot of land out here.
Its basically connected to Lafayette down one of the busiest corridors so people are moving this way. I dont know exactly what the catalyst is.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 AM

14,221 posts, read 20,615,208 times
I'm sure the catalyst is suburbs and better schools. Ascension and Livingston Parish are growing just as fast. Metro Baton Rouge is growing for sure.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Better schools don't increase a population they just move a population around. For instance in Lake Charles the north part of the town is decreasing and the south part is increasing because of the better schools there. But Lake Charles itself hasn't grown much in 40 years.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Better schools don't increase a population they just move a population around. For instance in Lake Charles the north part of the town is decreasing and the south part is increasing because of the better schools there. But Lake Charles itself hasn't grown much in 40 years.
Lafayette is a hotbed for music and art too so theres always that. Youre from Austin so you should know what I mean in regards to that attracting people.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Lafayette is a hotbed for music and art too so theres always that. Youre from Austin so you should know what I mean in regards to that attracting people.
I live in Austin but I'm from Lake Charles.

Austin is attracting people because it's the second largest high tech hub after SF/Silicon Valley.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 PM

14,221 posts, read 20,615,208 times
Quote:
Schools are normally high on the list with anyone who has kids looking to move to an area. It certainly makes a difference to families.
Lake Charles has less inward migration than Lafayette.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Schools are normally high on the list with anyone who has kids looking to move to an area. It certainly makes a difference to families.
Lake Charles has less inward migration than Lafayette.
I know that, the question is why?

Right now oil prices are depressed but the population of Lafayette is still growing.

Lake Charles has gigantic industrial expansions right now but the population still hasn't rebounded to its heyday.

All I can think of is perhaps Lafayette is attracting Francophones, it really is the only city in the US where a Francophone could really feel at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana