U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,601 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may be getting a new job at NASA Michoud Coast Guard base in New Orleans. I will be moving from Jacksonville, Fl and have never been in New Orleans, only drove through it. I will be coming with my second grader that is autistic. Researching Louisiana's school system, it looks as if they don't have anything set up to help children with disabilities. So, I am wondering if the school systems in the neighboring states would be better? I don't want to move my son from a state that helps children with disabilities to one that doesn't, that would be bad for both of us.

But, my question is do people that work at the Coast Guard Base or at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base live on the border of Mississippi? I'm wondering if I should explore the option. I want to live someplace safe and it's a little scary moving to an area that I know nothing about. And it doesn't help that New Orleans gets a bad reputation for crime. I'm pretty sure it's just the media hyping everything up because it's bad areas everywhere. But, I don't want to mistakenly move in one. Lol...

I hear Slidell, La is pretty nice, is that true and if so, does anyone know what the school system is like in that area? Any information about good schools and good areas to look into in both New Orleans and Mississippi would be helpful. I have been researching the areas all day looking for decent apartments and the only one that I really liked is called Bella Ridge in New Orleans, but it is waaay out of my pay range. It looks very nice but because it looks to be brand new, it is very pricey. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:32 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,992,738 times
Please move this to the New Orleans forum.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:05 AM

24 posts, read 102,480 times
Rents are high from my memory. New Orleans itself, like most larger cities can get expensive.

I don't temember where tge base is you describe?

Slidell is part of St. Tammany Parish if I am not mistaken? One if the best achool districts by far in Louisiana (NOLA resudents go to private or charter schools if you get my drift). Without being 100% sure, my guess is that they could handle your autistic child better than the New Orleans area. Furthwr west in Covington or Mandeville tge schools are the best in the Parish. But you are adding 15 to 20 minutes to whatever drive you have. Housing is more expensive but rents not necessarily so. The area is known as the North Shore, so more expensive than rural areas but less than mostbof NOLA.

Slidell is a smaller city by most standards but mid sized for Louisiana. All the people I know that lived there liked it. Mandeville and Covington have surprisingly good shopping for tge population count. But we would go to Slidell for Sam's Warehouse, Acad r my Sports, etc. too. We lived in Mandeville and it was hands down one of my favorite cities I have lived in. But for major shopping it was Baton Rouge at about 50 mins away or Metarie at 30 mins. on tge causeway. This was my knock in the area as we have younger kids and the big kid superstores weren't local.

But the Northshore has a great quality of life and you are about 45 mins away from everything New Orleans is if want want that too. We experienced no crime on the North Shore. I had a 45 minute commute to work to NOLA area and for me and my family it was wirth it to live further out.

Chris

Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM

11,723 posts, read 10,429,963 times
NASA Michoud Coast Guard base is off I-10/I-510 intersection in New Orleans East. Whatever you do, do NOT live in New Orleans East. Your best bet would be Slidell as the schools will be much better than in Orleans Parish. Facilities for special needs kids will be better in St. Tammany Parish than Orleans Parish.

There are some really good private schools in New Orleans but they will cost a lot and I'm not sure of the special needs education. However, they are upwards of $10k to $20k a year and are in Uptown New Orleans.

Best bet is to live in Slidell.

http://www.zillow.com/slidell-la/schools/

Pick an apartment complex in this area to get a good school district:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/a...7541173,13.75z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or