U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 06:54 AM

8,196 posts, read 12,175,613 times

Advertisements

When I think of places to retire or snowbird in retirement I think of places with good bird watching and wildlife watching opportunities.
On one hand guess that would encompass a lot of the southeastern coastal areas all the way across Texas to FL. Texas is not so good for taxes. Not sure if LA is still more accessible or less expensive than some other areas?

All I know is that I get captivated by all those hummingbird videos where there are multiple feeders and 10's maybe 100 hummingbirds! Many seem to be in LA.

Any bird watchers here? Retirees who moved to LA because of the birds and bird watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:15 PM

349 posts, read 289,821 times
Yes, there are many bird watchers in Southwest Louisiana. Do some web searches for Cameron and Creole Nature Trail to get an idea of the variety of birds we have.

HUMMINGBIRDS:
Yes, there are many hummers down here. Just set out a red object at least the size of a softball and the little birds will swoop down hoping it is a food source. I even had to stop buying red cars because the hummers would get stuck in my garage looking at the large red object! Too much to say for here but I hope you get the idea.

BOATING:
To take full advantage of the bird watching down here it would be best to travel around using a small boat to see all the birds. A small 15' aluminum boat is the one thing that my parents keep wishing for as they drive around in Cameron and look at the birds.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 AM

11,622 posts, read 10,971,975 times
The Cloud Forest in Costa Rica has so many Hummingbirds that people compare them to a bad mosquito day. Fantastic to see,

Old 08-29-2016, 11:38 AM

812 posts, read 353,754 times
There are a lot of birding here in SWLA. In our area, there's signs designated as "Flyways and Byways". We see many hummingbirds flying about. Like rgathrights mentioned. There's places like Laccassine Pool and Reserve that offers many birding opportunities. Some of my favorites are Roseate Spoonbill, Red Wing Blackbird, and Mockingbirds...they can be so fun to watch as they "bully" other birds and animals.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:37 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,491,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
When I think of places to retire or snowbird in retirement I think of places with good bird watching and wildlife watching opportunities.
On one hand guess that would encompass a lot of the southeastern coastal areas all the way across Texas to FL. Texas is not so good for taxes. Not sure if LA is still more accessible or less expensive than some other areas?

All I know is that I get captivated by all those hummingbird videos where there are multiple feeders and 10's maybe 100 hummingbirds! Many seem to be in LA.

Any bird watchers here? Retirees who moved to LA because of the birds and bird watching?
Having lived in both Texas and Louisiana, and having done a bit of research on the matter of taxes in those states, I can tell you that:

Texas has a much higher property tax rate, and the senior exemption isn't that great (you get an extra add-on exemption to the standard homestead exemption);

Louisiana has the third lowest property taxes in the U.S., and a good senior exemption (the taxes or value are frozen);

Louisiana has a much higher sales tax rate (in SW La, anyway); Dallas TX is around 8.25%; SW La. is 10% or higher.

Louisiana has MUCH higher homeowner's insurance rates (hurricanes & other storms); the cost of the higher homeowner's insurance wipes out any advantage of lower property tax rates (really).

Louisiana requires in SW La flood insurance, usually; If you do not live in a flood zone, it will be maybe several hundred dollars a year, so not that much. If you've flooded before, it will be $1,200 and up a year.

SE TX requires flood insurance, too.

SE TX has very high homeowner's insurance (hurricanes and storms), so SE TX is a double whammy in taxes in that you have VERY HIGH property taxes, and VERY HIGH homeowner's insurance.

Car sales tax is about 4% in La and 6.25% in TX.

Car ins. is MUCH higher in La. I just got a quote from La., and it's DOUBLE what my auto ins in Dallas, TX was. DOUBLE.

All in all, I don't think La. offers any cost advantages in taxes and insurance. Plus, there's not as much competition for insurance and such.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:10 AM

11,630 posts, read 10,305,575 times
As far as retirement in Louisiana for bird watching, it is a very good idea.

The property taxes in Louisiana are among the lowest in the country, very good for a retiree on low income.

There are so many bird species here, it's unbelievable.

My grandmother had a "bird watching room" at her residence where she retired. It was a floor to ceiling wall of windows around 20 feet long and it faced a pond. In the middle of the pond was a giant bird bath and it was surrounded by fig trees. We used to pick the figs and she would make preserves out of it. There were blackberry bushes all around and we would pick them and eat them or give them to my grandma to make blackberry preserves.

I remember her in her 80's sitting in the sun drenched room gazing at the birds. She knew them all by name and would tell you what each of them did. I don't think that kind of birdwatching is possible in any other state. She had purposely designed her birdwatching room for old age. She went out just the way she wanted to, watching birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana