U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 8,349 times

Advertisements

Residents of the Great State of Louisiana.

May be moving to the Southern part of Louisiana. Where is the cost reasonable and not in a flood plain. This is likely to be my retirement home.

Suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:35 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,113,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cingleguy View Post

May be moving to the Southern part of Louisiana. Where is the cost reasonable and not in a flood plain. This is likely to be my retirement home.

Suggestions appreciated.
I am in the northern section of Louisiana and don't like it very well. That said, New Orleans is a great place to live if you don't mind investing in Flood Insurance since it is a hotbed of culture and cuisine, while having a generally hot climate. For me, though, I'm looking into New Mexico since I'm hot-natured and dislike bugs and humidity even more than I dislike heat. Albuquerque is about 5 degrees drybulb more mild than LA and far less humid. If you still want to come to our state, though, cake on the bug-repellant if you spend any time outdoors.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 AM

11,723 posts, read 10,427,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cingleguy View Post

Suggestions appreciated.
Lafayette is probably the highest ground not in a flood plain. Tell us your home pricing requirements and we can tell you which area would be great. Lafayette has the best food and the most culture of any area in Louisiana except for New Orleans, but New Orleans is flood prone.

If you want a high area in S. Louisiana with good culture and very low prices, Lake Charles is the place. Not as good as Lafayette but growing very fast and if you got land out east of Lake Charles like near Welsh/Iowa/Lacassine then ridiculously cheap.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:02 PM

429 posts, read 313,427 times
I would also recommend the Lafayette area. Not sure where Craig is residing, but his perceptions seem skewed in my opinion, hence buh-bye Craig, may you find a community that suits you.

OP, Louisiana is a warm and welcoming state with many amenities. Expansive cultural resources, great dining, lovely communities and many fine people. An excellent place to call home.

If you provide some of your interests and housing budget, possibly more information could be provided to guide you to your retirement home.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by PeteyC; 11-26-2016 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-27-2016, 01:23 PM

14,352 posts, read 20,784,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig318 View Post
If you are white and want to be around other white people then be aware of demographics here. Every city in Louisiana, for the exception of Lafayette, is predominately black by a large margin. Also, except for Lafayette, the rest of Louisiana is economically depressed. We're also in the middle of the bible belt so religion is very important to folks here, too.

I'm thinking about leaving for the reasons I listed above.
Troll?

Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,710,142 times
Try the area between Carencro and Lafayette. Not so flood prone but cheaper and still close to everything.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:33 PM

429 posts, read 313,427 times
Craig, sometimes one receives as one expects to receive. Sorry your perception of Southwestern La. has been less than welcoming for you. I don't know you nor do I know what you anticipated from the community in which you choose to reside. On the whole the residents of Southwesten La. have, in my opinion, been welcoming to all, albeit at times slow, to accept fully those who voice different opinions.
As in any new community, do you want to fit in or do you want to stand out? Not saying you have to embrace the values of others just saying, take your time, listen, learn before imposing your views.
This is true for acclimating to any new area of this great United States.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:25 PM

14,352 posts, read 20,784,792 times
Quote:
I'm not here to troll. I was born and raised in north Louisiana but I've been to South Louisiana many times. I was only stating the facts on demographics. Wikipedia will give you the same information. If some of you readers are sensitive to certain information then that's your problem.
No you're not. Most municipalities in Louisiana are white. A municipality is a city, by the way. Maybe you can talk about north Louisiana but the 4 major cities, 5 including Hammond and the northshore, are not economically depressed cities.
Keep your facts to Shreveport's dwindling population and Monroe's paper mill stench.

Geaux Bulldogs

Old 11-30-2016, 06:21 PM

710 posts, read 864,226 times
Quote:
If you are white and want to be around other white people then be aware of demographics here. Every city in Louisiana, for the exception of Lafayette, is predominately black by a large margin.
How long have you been living in Louisiana? Here are just a few of the many cities in Louisiana with a majority white population.

Abbeville: 50.5% White
Bossier City: 61% White
Breaux Bridge: 50.6% White
Broussard: 74.2% White

//www.city-data.com/city/Louisiana.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or