U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:14 AM

2,966 posts, read 1,296,420 times

Advertisements

The Covington/Mandeville area is one of the nicest areas in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 PM

8,005 posts, read 4,464,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cingleguy View Post
To those who love Louisiana:

I am relocating to La within the next six months. I will be covering the state from Lake Charles to New Orleans, by car. Out of all those locations, where to live? Looking for safe, reasonable cost, not in flood plain, access to I-10 and I-12.
I live in the L.C. area. The entire area, incl. north of I-10, is in a hurricane zone. Homeowner's Insurance is offered by few companies, and is shockingly high, of course. Auto ins. is also high. Sales taxes in that Parish (Calcasieu) are the highest in the nation...taxing necessities such as groceries and prescription medication.

The sales tax in Calc. Parish is 10.75% on just about everything. The Parish tax is about 5.75% of that 10.75%, so you can find a lower sales tax if you live outside of Calcasieu Parish.

Louisiana is in serious financial trouble, so it's likely the tax situation will only get worse. Drainage is a serious problem throughout the Lake Charles area. As is crime. I just moved back from a big city, and the crime here is much more of a concern.

The cost of housing is tens of thousands of dollars more in the LC area than many parts of TX. I looked briefly in the Lafayette area and didn't find the housing there any better in price. The quality of the homes in both Lafayette and L.C. was not good, many having been built quickly to accommodate new transfers coming in with companies. The older homes are better quality, but they have other issues.

Be sure you know what the people are like, wherever you land. Education is not the best thing going in Louisiana, so a lot of the people are not educated and don't speak well. Lots and lots of pickup trucks and guns and churches. Not knocking those things, but if you want to be near people you will fit in with, make sure you get to know the people in an area.

Baton Rouge is more cosmopolitan, with more people who have moved in from elsewhere. Also high crime, though. Lafayette has interesting people, more housing...but it's not very attractive, anymore, IMO. Some of the best music in Louisiana can be found in Lafayette, though. Don't know what sales tax is in that parish.

Almost all of the bottom half of Louisiana is in a hurricane zone, for insurance purposes. Whether it has flooded there or not, the ins. cos. lump them all in together, as far as high rates. Consider that this past year, large areas around Lafayette flooded so badly that entire neighborhoods were wiped out, people lost everything; they didn't have flood insurance because that area had never flooded before.

If it were me, I'd move to a state with a lower cost of living and not in a natural disaster zone. But that's me. I did move back here, but I am going to try to move out asap and back to a more normal area with a lower cost of living. (My health ins. went up $200/month here from Texas, also. This is a very unhealthy state. Lots of claims.) My family hadn't warned me of the financial situation here, the high COL, and the high sales tax. That's because they, like many of the natives, don't know. They haven't lived anywhere else, for comparison, at least not for many decades. So I'm letting you know what I've experienced. If costs, taxes, insurance, and such matter to you. Different things matter to different people.

The music here is great, though. The people are very nice and neighborly (not the ones robbing you, of course). Lots of trees in some areas (the ones the hurricanes haven't ripped out). Subtropical climate year 'round. (I don't use heating at all.)

Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I live in the L.C. area. The entire area, incl. north of I-10, is in a hurricane zone. Homeowner's Insurance is offered by few companies, and is shockingly high, of course. Auto ins. is also high. Sales taxes in that Parish (Calcasieu) are the highest in the nation...taxing necessities such as groceries and prescription medication.

The sales tax in Calc. Parish is 10.75% on just about everything. The Parish tax is about 5.75% of that 10.75%, so you can find a lower sales tax if you live outside of Calcasieu Parish.

Louisiana is in serious financial trouble, so it's likely the tax situation will only get worse. Drainage is a serious problem throughout the Lake Charles area. As is crime. I just moved back from a big city, and the crime here is much more of a concern.

The cost of housing is tens of thousands of dollars more in the LC area than many parts of TX. I looked briefly in the Lafayette area and didn't find the housing there any better in price. The quality of the homes in both Lafayette and L.C. was not good, many having been built quickly to accommodate new transfers coming in with companies. The older homes are better quality, but they have other issues.

Be sure you know what the people are like, wherever you land. Education is not the best thing going in Louisiana, so a lot of the people are not educated and don't speak well. Lots and lots of pickup trucks and guns and churches. Not knocking those things, but if you want to be near people you will fit in with, make sure you get to know the people in an area.

Baton Rouge is more cosmopolitan, with more people who have moved in from elsewhere. Also high crime, though. Lafayette has interesting people, more housing...but it's not very attractive, anymore, IMO. Some of the best music in Louisiana can be found in Lafayette, though. Don't know what sales tax is in that parish.

Almost all of the bottom half of Louisiana is in a hurricane zone, for insurance purposes. Whether it has flooded there or not, the ins. cos. lump them all in together, as far as high rates. Consider that this past year, large areas around Lafayette flooded so badly that entire neighborhoods were wiped out, people lost everything; they didn't have flood insurance because that area had never flooded before.

If it were me, I'd move to a state with a lower cost of living and not in a natural disaster zone. But that's me. I did move back here, but I am going to try to move out asap and back to a more normal area with a lower cost of living. (My health ins. went up $200/month here from Texas, also. This is a very unhealthy state. Lots of claims.) My family hadn't warned me of the financial situation here, the high COL, and the high sales tax. That's because they, like many of the natives, don't know. They haven't lived anywhere else, for comparison, at least not for many decades. So I'm letting you know what I've experienced. If costs, taxes, insurance, and such matter to you. Different things matter to different people.

The music here is great, though. The people are very nice and neighborly (not the ones robbing you, of course). Lots of trees in some areas (the ones the hurricanes haven't ripped out). Subtropical climate year 'round. (I don't use heating at all.)
Let me put a positive spin on some of this. We live on the Northshore. We are not originally from the state, but have lived here for almost 30 years. Have travelled extensively abroad and in the U.S. From our perspective, south LA has the best food in the nation, hands down. The people here are very friendly. The state has some fiscal issues, but most states do. The educational system is not the best, but if you have kids and they have roughly a "C" high school average, they can get most of their college free. The outdoor life here is amazing, including fishing, hunting, nature walks, etc... South LA has culture, personality and is a great place to live.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoosAnnaKwaahter View Post
Maybe Mandeville, but avoid most of immediate NOLA, it's a dump, and dangerous IMHO
We live on the Northshore and previously in Baton Rouge. Would not live in N. O. and don't care for Baton Rouge.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 PM

11,607 posts, read 10,278,971 times
The Northshore flooded badly in 2016 so it's prone to flooding as well. Also parts of Slidell and Covington flood really badly.

Best place really is Lafayette or Lake Charles. There's no competition.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The Northshore flooded badly in 2016 so it's prone to flooding as well. Also parts of Slidell and Covington flood really badly.

Best place really is Lafayette or Lake Charles. There's no competition.

There are areas that flood in all of South LA, Lafayette and Lake Charles included. I would never choose to live in Lake Charles, too industrial. Lafayette is ok, but very illogically laid out and the economy, while more diversified than it used to be, is still heavily based on the oil and gas industry. The nicest and most upscale area in the state is the Mandeville/Covington area. Schools are rated the highest and the highest family income in the state and near New Orleans. If possible, try to plan a visit there, and you will see that it is really a great place to live..

Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 AM

11,607 posts, read 10,278,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
There are areas that flood in all of South LA, Lafayette and Lake Charles included. I would never choose to live in Lake Charles, too industrial. Lafayette is ok, but very illogically laid out and the economy, while more diversified than it used to be, is still heavily based on the oil and gas industry. The nicest and most upscale area in the state is the Mandeville/Covington area. Schools are rated the highest and the highest family income in the state and near New Orleans. If possible, try to plan a visit there, and you will see that it is really a great place to live..
I've visited there many times. Lafayette is some of the highest ground in southern Louisiana. The schools are good as well.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,650 times
I think FEMA might have a flood map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or