Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 01:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

I have stumbled upon some videos of Cajun people and it is fascinating to me how they sound. They sound decidedly un-Southern except maybe for a few words and of course mannerisms. It's a pretty cool sounding dialect.

From the comments it seems these White boys were just making fun of Acadiana and aren't actually Cajun yet it seems they sound quite close to this woman:

She reminds me of South Side Mexicans from Chicago a bit (I said a bit). Like if a Black person lived around Mexicans or the other way around. The Cajun sound is eerily Hispanic like especially in their vowels (but they still got the hillbilly long I sound like "ah").

Do people still talk like this in Acadiana or is it just regular Southern nowadays? Obviously the lady is a millennial so unless she is faking it it seems to still exist. It sounds super cool!

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 01-28-2017 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 01:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Very much sound like this from down South Louisiana. If Cajun people have a regular style southern accent, they probably grew up around the outlying area such as SE Texas or Miss. I hope the Cajun accent stays around forever. Wish I could sound that way.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Very much sound like this from down South Louisiana. If Cajun people have a regular style southern accent, they probably grew up around the outlying area such as SE Texas or Miss. I hope the Cajun accent stays around forever. Wish I could sound that way.
Wish I could too except I have no ties to Louisiana (I think maybe there is some French in me but not sure if from Arcadia). Of course me being not from Louisiana has something to do with it as well

Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM

29 posts, read 26,590 times
I spoke French with my Grandmother until she passed shortly before my 5th birthday, then the language was pretty much lost in our family, my cousin and I are now the oldest in our family. I recently heard two ladies conversing in a doctors office in French and it was like a beautiful old warm hug but I understood very few words. The Cajun language is dying, it is not being passed on. I spoke with the older lady who was about my age and they were from Galliano Louisiana, very South Louisiana. She said it was frowned upon by the teachers in the 1950's if you spoke in French way down in the Bayous, you were reprimanded for speaking French. I grew up in New Orleans, but there were many towns in South Louisiana when I was a child where French was spoken exclusively. My husbands Grandmother lived just 45 minutes outside of New Orleans and never learned to speak English, many of our Grandparents spoke French. New Orleans is certainly multi cultural, my Grand Father came from the Canary Islands and both French and Spanish were spoken in my Mothers home as a child. Like many others here, I do have some Creole in me. There used to be a number of Cajun speaking radio stations here, there may be one left. If you check Arcadians, you will find a number of us are descendants of Nova Scotia in Canada.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Some of my coworkers sound similar. They even get tags to catch alligators on their time off for extra money.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 AM

806 posts, read 877,223 times
Acadia . No " r " .

Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
The price of American assimilation.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 AM

29 posts, read 26,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Acadia . No " r " .
Acadian, typo. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana