U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM

29 posts, read 28,984 times

Advertisements

Hi LA friends,

For my sister's 40th birthday, my brother and I are taking her on a long weekend getaway in late March. Some of our criteria included nice weather (were from NJ and it's currently snowing), good music and nightlife, great food, and possibly places to hike or explore during the day. Are there any cities in LA, besides New Orleans, that are safe and could possibly offer this?

Thanks so much advance,
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 PM

16,249 posts, read 9,748,538 times
New Iberia.

We have been in that area a couple of times, and since we live in Mississippi, we cross the river at Natchez (spend a day there, and dine at Natchez Under The Hill. Restaurants are very casual).

Take the 2 lane roads down to New Iberia and stay at https://www.bedandbreakfast.com/loui...rtonhouse.html . Tour Shadow on the Teche plantation house, take a tour of the bayou. Contact Louis Champagne (pronounced the French way - Shahm-Paan) for the tour, and he'll show you some alligators.

Ask Jo at the B&B to recommend some spots for music. There is good food and Cajun music everywhere.

Be sure to read one of James Lee Burke's novels about the fictional cop, Dave Robicheaux. He "lives" in New Iberia and The Neon Rain is a good start. You'll find yourself wondering if Dave and his buddy Clete Purcell are somewhere nearby.

Get yourself a Po' Boy at Bon Creole Seafood.
Take a walk along The Teche (once you figure out what that is)

Note* I've been in 49 states. 20 foreign countries. New Iberia is the one place we will go back to, again and again. You'll catch on to the accent in no time because it sounds a little like Brooklyn!

Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM

14,221 posts, read 20,625,111 times
Ok I surely would not suggest New Iberia..

The common suggestion would be Lafayette, or the rest of Cajun Country/Acadiana, which includes New Iberia but just seems like and odd place to suggest. Lots of good cajun food and lots of dancing. Breaux Bridge is popular for this. Honestly there's enough to see in the New Orleans metro area to keep you busy for a whole week or more.
If you want to hike and see some nature, go to Jean Lafitte National Park in Marrero. Louisiana isn't a hiking state lol.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 PM

11,612 posts, read 10,290,249 times
I would say that Lafayette would be your best choice.

Go to Acadian Village and Vermilionville and visit a few plantations in St. Martinville. Tour the Tabasco Factory and if you like you could hike the Jungle Gardens (although most people drive it, it's only 3 or so miles so definitely hike-able). Rip Van Winkle has gardens to walk around as well, not really a hike though.

Sam Houston Jones State Park near Lake Charles has extensive hiking trails if you really need that. It's around 45 minutes from Lafayette.

The weather is usually perfect then, in the 70's usually.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,688,890 times
Lafayette is great for the Acadiana Village and Vermilionville tours and of course the food. Great nightlife downtown too! As others have said, the small towns around here add to the charm of the area and stuff to do. If youre going outside of NOLA in Louisiana, this is the place to visit.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM

812 posts, read 352,505 times
Hodges Gardens near Many, has beautiful gardens and trails. Hilly too. Nice cabins to rent near the lake. View wildlife and fish. Also bring bikes there. New Iberia area? Yea, could be good at Avery Island at the Tabasco plant. But go to Jefferson Island too, not far from N.I. Nice gardens. Lafayette has good things too...like Acadian Village and Vermillionville. St. Francisville has nice plantation homes to tour, including the infamous Myrtles. And while you're there, head on to Angola and check out the museum. Ohh...also while in Lafayette area, head east and do an Atchafalaya Swamp Tour. Sam Houston, as someone said is nice, good walking trails. We been to many places here and really enjoy the times we've had there. New Orleans...ehh I can live without ever going back. Except for the St.Louis Cathedral and French Market/Square...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or