U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:44 AM

3,230 posts, read 4,309,826 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm back home now.

I flew into Dallas on the 26th. Spent a day in Fort Worth, visited the Civil War museum there. Drove to Mansfield, got caught in a bad thunderstorm in Alexandria. Stayed in Pineville/Alexandria for a day, visited the Methodist church there, met a local radio Deejay, visited Fort Buhlow. Drove back to Texas to spend my last 3 days.

Call me crazy, but Alexandria I did not care for at all. Pineville however, was a quiet, beautiful little bedroom community.

I didn't get to Lafayette like I wanted. So I decided I'll head down there for Mardi Gras next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 PM

The radio station was KBKK "K-Buck" in Pineville.

I intend to fly into Lafayette next time, likely next Spring.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:04 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,710,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
The radio station was KBKK "K-Buck" in Pineville.

I intend to fly into Lafayette next time, likely next Spring.
I recommend planning to visit around this event
Festival International – Festival International

Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I recommend planning to visit around this event
Festival International – Festival International
I'll need to check this out.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:18 AM

That is the thing too, I love the smaller towns there, but the cities, namely Shreveport and Alexandria left alot to be desired.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 PM

292 posts, read 287,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
That is the thing too, I love the smaller towns there, but the cities, namely Shreveport and Alexandria left alot to be desired.
Well they are generally viewed as the least popular areas in the state. Though I think Shreveport has a lot of potential that for some reason has not been tapped into. I believe you will like south Louisiana much better. Lafayette is a great small city.

I also recommend visiting around Festival International, just one of many festivals that are had down in this area. Mardi Gras is a good time to come as well. I will be happy to also recommend some good food places when you come back down lol.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Well they are generally viewed as the least popular areas in the state. Though I think Shreveport has a lot of potential that for some reason has not been tapped into. I believe you will like south Louisiana much better. Lafayette is a great small city.

I also recommend visiting around Festival International, just one of many festivals that are had down in this area. Mardi Gras is a good time to come as well. I will be happy to also recommend some good food places when you come back down lol.
Yeah, I noticed while I was there. When I met Dixie Lee at 105.5 KBUCK/LA103.5 she said as much. That there wasn't much to see.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:03 AM

3,015 posts, read 1,346,032 times
Alexandria is in the middle of nowhere. Lafayette is the most illogically laid out city I've ever been to. While it's economy has become more diversified in recent years, it is still heavily tied to the oil industry. IMO, the best area, by far, to live in Louisiana is the Northshore (area across the lake from New Orleans). The standard of living is very high. Unfortunately, housing prices are high as well...

Old 11-30-2017, 04:27 PM

14,353 posts, read 20,788,168 times
The standard of living is high if you're from Louisiana. It's normal if you're from a better state.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,553,442 times
I like the countryside around Alexandria better than Lafayette. Alexandria is like mid sized little town out in the middle of the woods. I think It's the largest city I've ever been to that looks like it's in the woods. I think it looks like it would be a hard place to make a middle class living without any special skills. It also looks like it would pretty boring for a single young adult who is not from there or the area around it.

On the other hand, Lafayette, in my opinion, is one of the nicest mid sized towns in the Deep South.

For a young single adult outsider, it would not feel near as isolated in Lafayette than as it would in Alexandria.

If you have a girlfriend or wife or significant other and You're ready to start a family and you have a job that pays enough that you can get by, Alexandria, would be a pretty good choice. If you like the slower pace, I think Alexandria would be a good city to have a family in and raise kids. But for a single young adult not from that area, they could be in for a mighty long road to hoe in Alexandria.

In all good conscience, it's really hard to justify advising an outsider just startin out in his work life to move to Alexandria.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-30-2017 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana