U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:48 PM

3,229 posts, read 4,285,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Youre welcome any time of year! What month do you plan? April would have been great though.
Given my work schedule? Probably late Summer/early Fall. I came to Louisiana once in July and not being used to humidity made a man out of me!

So, August-ish? Maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:41 PM

Having considered it. I'll mesh my Lafayette trip with my upcoming Vicksburg trip. On another site I've got a big Civil War meetup I'm trying to put together.

But August is brutal. As I've been to both Vicksburg and Lafayette in late Summer like that. Any better time of year?

Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM

This trip would also include the Myrtles, and Camp Moore.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 PM

411 posts, read 214,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Having considered it. I'll mesh my Lafayette trip with my upcoming Vicksburg trip. On another site I've got a big Civil War meetup I'm trying to put together.

But August is brutal. As I've been to both Vicksburg and Lafayette in late Summer like that. Any better time of year?
It is hot and humid in South Louisiana from June thru October. November it starts to cool down but can still be humid.

IMO the best time to visit is December thru March. The first few weeks in March are really nice.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 PM

8,520 posts, read 12,935,211 times
Alexandria is in a physically more beautiful environment than Lafayette IMHO. The terrain is hilly and heavily forested with a diverse range of plant life. Its especially beautiful driving south of Alexandria toward Oakdale, though once you get past Oakdale you get the flat Lake CHarles/Lafayette type landscape. The area around Indian Creek reservoir is great for outdoors activities. Pineville is also a rather pleasant town and is better kept than Alexandria itself. Alexandria itself can feel run down but the general area isn't. I'd say the typical city in America is run down within the city limits anyway since everyone lives in the suburbs anyway.

Lafayette does have swamps but they don't dominate the landscape so its not all romantic, quiet bayous either. Lafayette is closer to the Gulf coast though I wouldn't say Holly Beach is that amazing of a beach. Lafayette's unique culture can be a plus or minus depending on you. It has some of the best, most unique cuisine in the state because of the dominance of Cajun French culture though if you're from out of state and don't have any Cajun background you may feel out of place. People are certainly welcoming and open to newcomers. I personally think the authentic Cajun culture IS an asset to Lafayette and sets it apart. vBut then you still do have transplants, so its not like moving to a 98% German community in Minnesota or a 90% Cuban neighborhood in Miami where you will be shunned and ostracized if you don't share that background. Alexandria is more of a nice mix of Cajun country and Deep South.

Baton Rouge (the area I live in) is a mix of Cajun, New Orleans Creole, mainstream Southern and general American cultures and anyone can fit in here.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Alexandria is in a physically more beautiful environment than Lafayette IMHO. The terrain is hilly and heavily forested with a diverse range of plant life. Its especially beautiful driving south of Alexandria toward Oakdale, though once you get past Oakdale you get the flat Lake CHarles/Lafayette type landscape. The area around Indian Creek reservoir is great for outdoors activities. Pineville is also a rather pleasant town and is better kept than Alexandria itself. Alexandria itself can feel run down but the general area isn't. I'd say the typical city in America is run down within the city limits anyway since everyone lives in the suburbs anyway.

Lafayette does have swamps but they don't dominate the landscape so its not all romantic, quiet bayous either. Lafayette is closer to the Gulf coast though I wouldn't say Holly Beach is that amazing of a beach. Lafayette's unique culture can be a plus or minus depending on you. It has some of the best, most unique cuisine in the state because of the dominance of Cajun French culture though if you're from out of state and don't have any Cajun background you may feel out of place. People are certainly welcoming and open to newcomers. I personally think the authentic Cajun culture IS an asset to Lafayette and sets it apart. vBut then you still do have transplants, so its not like moving to a 98% German community in Minnesota or a 90% Cuban neighborhood in Miami where you will be shunned and ostracized if you don't share that background. Alexandria is more of a nice mix of Cajun country and Deep South.

Baton Rouge (the area I live in) is a mix of Cajun, New Orleans Creole, mainstream Southern and general American cultures and anyone can fit in here.
Thank you for the input on that.

I was in Alexandria/Pineville back in October, so I see what you are saying, but need to get a taste of Lafayette/South Louisiana, because I never got the chance to.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 PM

411 posts, read 214,329 times
Yeah man, I think you'd enjoy it. It is different than Alexandria. There is plenty to do and I-10 can take you from the LA/TX border all the way to New Orleans. So you could hit Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans in one shot.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Yeah man, I think you'd enjoy it. It is different than Alexandria. There is plenty to do and I-10 can take you from the LA/TX border all the way to New Orleans. So you could hit Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans in one shot.
Thank you for the clarification, I wanna see Camp Moore too.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 PM

When I was in Mississippi in early 2017, I met a lil Cajun girl from Laffyette. Cute little thing too.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 264 times
Angry Broussard Resident

I live in Broussard, La and I disagree with some of the things you quoted.

First off I have lived in different parts of the U.S and I have never been happier than living here. First and foremost you are incorrect about the homeowners insurance in general. You state that "there aren't many insurers who will sell HO insurance below I-10 or thereabouts." I live 10 miles south of the interstate and have no problems with acquiring insurance. However, I will say that if you choose to live in a flood prone area, then you will have to pay higher premiums and be required to have flood insurance if financing a home. Most flood prone areas are near lakes, rivers and low lying areas.

How can you state that this area is a natural disaster area? Broussard is far enough from the Gulf of Mexico to not be in line for direct hits from hurricanes. We are not prone to earthquakes, tornadoes, droughts, etc.

You indicated that the tax rate is high here. The tax rate in Broussard is 9 %, however we do get a break in other areas. We have $75,000 deduction on our homeowners tax, in addition to other breaks.

There is no other place in the United States that has a more welcoming and warm community. The culture, food and events are second to none. There is a sense of pride that this area takes in family and community. So before you tear down this area, perhaps you should do a little more homework!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana