U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2017, 04:03 PM
 
429 posts, read 307,891 times
Reputation: 1179

Advertisements

Hands down Lafayette. Alexandria, never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,612 posts, read 10,285,418 times
Reputation: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Yeah I was posting a thread in General US concurrent with this one, there was little discussion of Lafayette so I wanted to get a local opinion.

Lafayette and CenLA seem to sport alot of Civil War history too, which is a big selling point for me.
If you want Civil War history then a place like Laplace would be best. It's basically real close to the River Road plantations. In the Civil War, the northern gun boat captains spared the plantations along the River Road because some of them had stayed at the plantations prior to the war. It's why La has so many plantations but places like GA had many of theirs burned to the ground except for a few in Savannah.

You would also not be far from Vicksburg National Military Park. Great place and excellent hiking/camping too. I remember I went there with the Boy Scouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2017, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,221 posts, read 20,619,777 times
Reputation: 9024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Yeah I was posting a thread in General US concurrent with this one, there was little discussion of Lafayette so I wanted to get a local opinion.

Lafayette and CenLA seem to sport alot of Civil War history too, which is a big selling point for me.
I posted in that thread too.
I'm aware of your affection for the Civil War, in the Mississippi forum, which always struck me as strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you want Civil War history then a place like Laplace would be best. It's basically real close to the River Road plantations. In the Civil War, the northern gun boat captains spared the plantations along the River Road because some of them had stayed at the plantations prior to the war. It's why La has so many plantations but places like GA had many of theirs burned to the ground except for a few in Savannah.

You would also not be far from Vicksburg National Military Park. Great place and excellent hiking/camping too. I remember I went there with the Boy Scouts.
Do not move to LaPlace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2017, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,612 posts, read 10,285,418 times
Reputation: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do not move to LaPlace.
I guess they could move to Thibodeaux as it's about equi-distant to Laplace on the other side of the river.

Again, I realize annie doesn't like that place but the OP is interested in Civil War history. River Road is the place for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,221 posts, read 20,619,777 times
Reputation: 9024
I wouldn't suggest Thibodeaux either. Not over Lafayette or Baton Rouge or Lake Charles. He can still be close to Civil War history but in a much better city than those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2017, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,228 posts, read 4,284,427 times
Reputation: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I posted in that thread too.
I'm aware of your affection for the Civil War, in the Mississippi forum, which always struck me as strange.


Do not move to LaPlace.
It is strange to many. Lots of people really don't "get it". What first got me into the subject years ago, back in the 1990s my grandmother used to go on about how we were related to Robert E. Lee and had people who fought in the Civil War. Now, back then I didn't think much of it. Right about 2003 when I started Middle School I remember our teacher getting into the Civil War in history class.

I remember how he had the classroom set up during those two weeks. He had portraits of Lee, Jackson, Forrest, Davis and others lining one wall. Portraits of Lincoln, Grant, Sherman and George Thomas lined the other wall. Forrest happened to be the one leering over my desk. That's when I started reading into the subject. But the personality from the war that really drew me in was Patrick Cleburne, ever since then I was involved in my mom's family history in trying to verify the "Lee connection".

Come late 2012, corroborating with my step-grandfather's oldest daughter I had found a direct ancestor with the surname of Lee. Descended from the same line as the General, but this family set out for Kentucky, Missouri and then Texas a generation before the Civil War. 1 4x Great Grandfather and 3 of his brothers-in-law in Confederate service in Texas. While the Lee ancestor was in the "Arizona Brigade" in Texas and Louisiana, 2 of the in-laws served under Cleburne in Granbury's Texas Brigade. The Lee ancestor a fairly close cousin (think 3rd, possibly 4th) to the General himself. In this I also found a Unionist ancestor in Kentucky (who had pro-Confederate in-laws) and another who was an engineer for the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, which the Union destroyed during the war.

The Confederate veteran's youngest son, named for his brother-in-law who died at Elmira in Ohio, died when my grandmother was 12 and briefly knew her in the 1940's/1950's.

It was an aspect of my family's history that I found almost by accident, and would have been lost forever had I never found it. I guess I had what one could call a "Confederates in the Attic" moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you want Civil War history then a place like Laplace would be best. It's basically real close to the River Road plantations. In the Civil War, the northern gun boat captains spared the plantations along the River Road because some of them had stayed at the plantations prior to the war. It's why La has so many plantations but places like GA had many of theirs burned to the ground except for a few in Savannah.

You would also not be far from Vicksburg National Military Park. Great place and excellent hiking/camping too. I remember I went there with the Boy Scouts.
Been to Vicksburg, went back in 2010, dying to go back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,221 posts, read 20,619,777 times
Reputation: 9024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It is strange to many. Lots of people really don't "get it". What first got me into the subject years ago, back in the 1990s my grandmother used to go on about how we were related to Robert E. Lee and had people who fought in the Civil War. Now, back then I didn't think much of it. Right about 2003 when I started Middle School I remember our teacher getting into the Civil War in history class.

I remember how he had the classroom set up during those two weeks. He had portraits of Lee, Jackson, Forrest, Davis and others lining one wall. Portraits of Lincoln, Grant, Sherman and George Thomas lined the other wall. Forrest happened to be the one leering over my desk. That's when I started reading into the subject. But the personality from the war that really drew me in was Patrick Cleburne, ever since then I was involved in my mom's family history in trying to verify the "Lee connection".

Come late 2012, corroborating with my step-grandfather's oldest daughter I had found a direct ancestor with the surname of Lee. Descended from the same line as the General, but this family set out for Kentucky, Missouri and then Texas a generation before the Civil War. 1 4x Great Grandfather and 3 of his brothers-in-law in Confederate service in Texas. While the Lee ancestor was in the "Arizona Brigade" in Texas and Louisiana, 2 of the in-laws served under Cleburne in Granbury's Texas Brigade. The Lee ancestor a fairly close cousin (think 3rd, possibly 4th) to the General himself. In this I also found a Unionist ancestor in Kentucky (who had pro-Confederate in-laws) and another who was an engineer for the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, which the Union destroyed during the war.

The Confederate veteran's youngest son, named for his brother-in-law who died at Elmira in Ohio, died when my grandmother was 12 and briefly knew her in the 1940's/1950's.

It was an aspect of my family's history that I found almost by accident, and would have been lost forever had I never found it. I guess I had what one could call a "Confederates in the Attic" moment.



Been to Vicksburg, went back in 2010, dying to go back!
That's an interesting bit of information. Little fact, LSU students found a Civil War era cannon ball on the banks of Bayou Manchac in Prairieville, LA, in my parents neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,228 posts, read 4,284,427 times
Reputation: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's an interesting bit of information. Little fact, LSU students found a Civil War era cannon ball on the banks of Bayou Manchac in Prairieville, LA, in my parents neighborhood.
Likely an engagement involving Thomas Green's Texas Cavalry. Or as it was known further west, the Arizona Brigade, made up of Texas/New Mexico frontiersmen, led by Major Sherod Hunter and participated in many bushwacking activities along the Atchafalaya River, swamp and ramparts outside of occupied New Orleans in 1863-64. That was my ancestor's regiment and I've been reading a very well written biography about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,612 posts, read 10,285,418 times
Reputation: 6769
I can attest there is no Civil War history in Lake Charles. Lake Charles was only founded in 1880 years after the Civil War. Prior to that timeframe, SW Louisiana and SE Texas was "no man's land" where criminals hung out. Lafayette only had 468 people in 1860, so not much history there.

In contrast, Baton Rouge had 4,000 people and New Orleans had 116,375. Natchitoches had 1300 people. Shreveport had 1700 people.

Basically the history of the Civil War in Louisiana is only along the Mississippi River and the Red River. The immediate area is plantations with refineries scattered but there are some towns that I wouldn't advise living in. However, LaPlace and Thibodeaux are half way points for the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,228 posts, read 4,284,427 times
Reputation: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I can attest there is no Civil War history in Lake Charles. Lake Charles was only founded in 1880 years after the Civil War. Prior to that timeframe, SW Louisiana and SE Texas was "no man's land" where criminals hung out. Lafayette only had 468 people in 1860, so not much history there.

In contrast, Baton Rouge had 4,000 people and New Orleans had 116,375. Natchitoches had 1300 people. Shreveport had 1700 people.

Basically the history of the Civil War in Louisiana is only along the Mississippi River and the Red River. The immediate area is plantations with refineries scattered but there are some towns that I wouldn't advise living in. However, LaPlace and Thibodeaux are half way points for the history.
I'm one of those people who believe it's at best respectful to learn the history of anyplace you are moving to so you can understand the community better.

This thing with Lafayette/Alexandria for me (as well as cities in other Southern states) has me reading books on Cajuns, Civil War history in that part of Louisiana, and major personalities like General Alfred P. Mouton and his family who founded the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top