U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,691,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Well I got a date set, sometime around October 24th is when I'll be heading out.
Weather should be pretty nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:16 AM

3,230 posts, read 4,288,092 times
Well I'll be out there in two weeks.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 PM

I'll be flying into Dallas on Thursday. Driving to Mansfield first thing.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:30 PM

Well I’m in pineville.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Well I’m in pineville.
Enjoying your stay so far? Pineville is quite different from the south.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:05 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,494,065 times
Don't move INTO a hurricane zone, unless you have to because of work or dying parent.

Also, Louisiana is in financial trouble. The sales tax is already the highest in the nation, and GROCERIES are taxed in some parishes (highly unusual to tax groceries, since of course it affects the poor the most, and means that they will go w/o some meals in order to pay that tax). Homeowners insurance is not competitive, with few companies offering HO ins. (for a very good reason). What's available is almost twice as much as cost in northern part of TX. You will probably also need or want flood insurance, which is an extra cost.

You will need to hold cash somewhere for the inevitable evacuation...this will cost. You'll get reimbursed by your ins., but there will be other expenses that you won't have in areas not in natural disaster zones.

Auto ins. rates are higher, too.

Gasoline costs are not less, though you'd expect so, this being an energy state. Gasoline costs tend to be lower in big metro areas, where there's more competition.

The cost of homes in areas of La. is tens of thousands of dollars more than in Houston or Dallas or Tyler Tx areas. What would be a mediocre $200k house in those areas will fetch $245k to $250k in Lake Charles and Lafayette.

Having natural gas in homes is hard to find, despite La being an energy state. (No, it's not because it's hard to lay pipe; it's because the houses are built more cheaply than in some other places; the cost of residences here is high.)

The cost of medical insurance in Lake Charles was about $200/month more for similar or less coverage than Dallas TX.

Some parishes charge sales tax for prescriptions, which is unusual in America.

There is a state income tax. It's not a lot, but it exists. And it's a hassle to have to file an extra tax return. The taxes are a thing in La that no one tax is out of this world, but it nickel and dimes you to death. For a family, that would amount to thousands of dollars a year that you wouldn't have to pay in another state.

Electric rates are said to be lower. I have not found that to be true. If they are, it's just a bit, and made up for by all the fees added for the floods and storm items.

Water bill is a bit less, because you don't have to water your yard in south La.

In other words, you should consider all aspects of moving into a hurricane zone. I personally don't think that's wise. People tend to move AWAY from high cost and danger, not INTO it. Unless of course you have excellent job opportunities there.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:07 PM

Those are considerations to take for sure living here, but the communities and traditions are what make life enjoyable. Hurricanes are not a daily or even yearly thing. If you live inland, 30 miles or so around Lafayette or a little north, and outside of a flood zone, its not bad at all.
In return there are fabulous people, amazing food, music, wonderful art, and simply authentic joy of life. Louisiana is more than stats and numbers.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,494,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Those are considerations to take for sure living here, but the communities and traditions are what make life enjoyable. Hurricanes are not a daily or even yearly thing. If you live inland, 30 miles or so around Lafayette or a little north, and outside of a flood zone, its not bad at all.
In return there are fabulous people, amazing food, music, wonderful art, and simply authentic joy of life. Louisiana is more than stats and numbers.
True enough. I was born & raised here. But in some cities there aren't really communities, as such. There are a lot of dead end streets because of waterways and just, well, I think people around here like them. Plus it saves on builders' costs. A dead end street can't really be part of a close knit community; you have to at least be able to walk around a block, have the kiddies go trick or treating, have a reason to put a Christmas tree in your window. Few people pass by on a dead end street. And people like it that way.

The people are nice, but make sure they are like you. If you like to be informed on current events, if you were taught to use correct grammar, if you like discussions on fashion or politics or the economy or health...you just want to make sure you live in an area with people who are interested in those things. The avg person in La. isn't concerned with those things. They love food, fishing, hunting, boating, home schooling, mainly. The food here is great, but it's great everywhere, IMO. And you have to watch not to eat too much of the local food, or you'll get unhealthy. La.'s health care costs are high, which I assume is from a lot of claims. A lot of obese people in Louisiana.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 AM

14,242 posts, read 20,644,861 times
I agree with much of what you said but you could pretty much say the same, with varying specifics, about any place in the country.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Any updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana