U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 04:51 PM

14,351 posts, read 20,784,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I-49 is North/South, I'm guessing a I-49 SPUR going East/West would need to be built? Even at that, how the hell would DOTD pull that off? It just seems like, you'd have to tear down a lot of communities in order to do that, and truth be told, I see too many people protesting it for it to come to fiction.

Anyway, I think in my area, the LA-14/US-171 corridor needs to be updated to a free way and I-210 should connect to a new alternate route of US-171 ending at LA-3059. I was reading an article in the American Press regarding what some young leaders want to see regarding the growth that is supposedly taking place in the future in SWLA, one said, a I-210 loop would be needed running North in the city, though, I see that as out of the question (too many neighborhoods would have to be torn down).

American Press - Home

American Press - Home

American Press - Local
I-49 will run the route of Hwy 90 to Marrero where the westbank expressway starts. No neighborhoods need to be torn down. More than half is already at federal freeway standards and would only require signage changes. The msot difficult part is going through Lafayette, in which I would suggest I-49 would share part of I-10 and go east around the airport and south to meet up with Hwy around Broussard or New Iberia. There would be some environmental concerns straddling the airport but it's likely the best route other than cutting Lafayette in two with a massive freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 03:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 1,443,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Positives about New Orleans includes the culture, the fact that people are dying to move here but there are no good paying jobs here prevents them. I love the people most.
Yes, that should be emphasized more on NOLA threads: So many people would move to New Orleans if there were more economic opportunity. They'd move despite the high violent crime, awful true tales of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the city's reputation for Caribbean-style corruption. My niece fell in love with NOLA, but it's too hard to find a job there for any college grad. Also, civil service/state jobs -- with livable salaries and good benefits -- are closed to non-natives without connections (connections just help in most places, but they're necessary in NOLA or you don't work for the state of LA or the city of NO). I guess New Orleanians prefer this peculiar kind of stagnation. Things remain as they always were, and the influence of outsiders remains limited.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:29 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,655,483 times
SWLA is also difficult to find work for Collee Grads, that is unless you are a nurse or an engineer. I'm hoping the economic boom changes that.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:33 PM

860 posts, read 995,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Yes, that should be emphasized more on NOLA threads: So many people would move to New Orleans if there were more economic opportunity. They'd move despite the high violent crime, awful true tales of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the city's reputation for Caribbean-style corruption. My niece fell in love with NOLA, but it's too hard to find a job there for any college grad. Also, civil service/state jobs -- with livable salaries and good benefits -- are closed to non-natives without connections (connections just help in most places, but they're necessary in NOLA or you don't work for the state of LA or the city of NO). I guess New Orleanians prefer this peculiar kind of stagnation. Things remain as they always were, and the influence of outsiders remains limited.
I don't work for the state or city, but both companies I have worked for down here bent over backwards to get me to come work for them after seeing my resume and interviews. I was not from here and had no connections. Several people that I work with and others that I know are from somewhere else. I've heard several people who don't live here talk about nepotism in the city, but in my experience, I've never seen it here. Maybe a government thing? Or maybe the person applying didn't have the right experience? Companies want to make money, and I can't imagine them turning away the perfect employee just because they are from somewhere else.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I don't work for the state or city, but both companies I have worked for down here bent over backwards to get me to come work for them after seeing my resume and interviews. I was not from here and had no connections. Several people that I work with and others that I know are from somewhere else. I've heard several people who don't live here talk about nepotism in the city, but in my experience, I've never seen it here. Maybe a government thing? Or maybe the person applying didn't have the right experience? Companies want to make money, and I can't imagine them turning away the perfect employee just because they are from somewhere else.
N.O is a large city so maybe it's not such a problem but my hometown, people are not open to outsiders yet they don't even come together for social events.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:01 PM

860 posts, read 995,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
N.O is a large city so maybe it's not such a problem but my hometown, people are not open to outsiders yet they don't even come together for social events.
I have lived in smaller towns and can understand how that would be more of an issue there. I have owned and done the hiring for a small business before, and still say I find it hard to believe a company would turn away a great employee just because they were from somewhere else.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 PM

810 posts, read 669,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I have lived in smaller towns and can understand how that would be more of an issue there. I have owned and done the hiring for a small business before, and still say I find it hard to believe a company would turn away a great employee just because they were from somewhere else.
People like to believe these kinds of conspiracy theories . There were so many cases of nepotism and "good old boy networks" that people came to believe that it prevailed everywhere .

Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
People like to believe these kinds of conspiracy theories . There were so many cases of nepotism and "good old boy networks" that people came to believe that it prevailed everywhere .

In many cases in Louisiana it is unfortunately about who you know. That said, I'd be interesting in knowing where you are from. How'd you end up in Louisiana?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 AM

Well people, Saturday is near and it is then that we will find out who the Mayor will be for the next four years in Lake Charles. This will be an interesting election.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM

14,351 posts, read 20,784,792 times
Hopefully better than mayor Broome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or