Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'd say it has just as good of a chance of passing as marijuana legalization?
The Advocate did a poll saying that it would pass at around 51%. I don't think lowering the age to 18 would have that much support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The Advocate did a poll saying that it would pass at around 51%. I don't think lowering the age to 18 would have that much support.
Do you think LA will be the first one to do it in the South?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Do you think LA will be the first one to do it in the South?
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

It will probably be Texas or Florida. It would pass if put on the ballot here, and if the law were written correctly.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:12 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,691 times
Looking at this thread, I realized that I had the year wrong regarding the time frame between Lake Charles's last mayor and current mayor. I typed the year 1994. Nic Hunter is the first mayor since 2000. I get the amount of years correct w/ him being the first in 17 years but just typed the wrong year.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:43 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
In many cases in Louisiana it is unfortunately about who you know
That's not unique to Louisiana. It's like that just about everywhere you go. If you know people, or people know you and/or your family, you're going to have a better chance of getting a job or promotion. Connections means alot.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 PM

FINALLY the I-10 construction has began in Lake Charles. Long overdue.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:33 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
I moved away in 2013, but I lived in and near Baton Rouge for the better part of a decade. Based on what I last knew...

Do you consider the area you live in to be stagnated?
No, Baton Rouge was growing rather steadily last I was a resident. If it has slowed, it's been since I moved.

What would you like to see as far as improvements in your area? Less crime.

What do you think is preventing this area from being what it could be?
The crime.

How are race relations in the area that you live? Kinda depended on the individual really. Racism in all directions is still a real problem there, but honestly it was starting to go harder against whites on the street level.

What are some positives about the city or metropolitan that you live in?
I'll answer this in terms of things I miss. I do miss the great food the city had to offer, it was my favorite thing about LA as a whole. I also cannot help but to feel a bit sentimental when I see photos of downtown. I built a real history there.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
HOWDY!

I know, there are probably several Louisiana threads on these three metropolitan areas, however, aren't most threads nothing more than a variation of another subject?
According to residents of the three metropolitans listed in the title, these three could be so much more than what they currently are.

EXAMPLES
I know that as a resident of Lake Charles, I know this area could be way more than what it currently is. I want to know what residents of these three areas could do to make their area better. Outside of N.O., these are the most populous, though LC's population has not grow much since the 70s. Others living in Shreveport say that their area is slow in thinking. I've seen members on this forum who live in Baton Rouge who'd like to have a loop.

Do you consider the area you live in to be stagnated?

What would you like to see as far as improvements in your area?

What do you think is preventing this area from being what it could be?

How are race relations in the area that you live?

What are some positives about the city or metropolitan that you live in?
Baton Rouge is definitely NOT stagnated and I think its growing too fast for my liking. I live in Denham Springs and the overdevelopment is rampant. Seems like every piece of open land is under construction or has developed proposed there especially anywhere along Florida Boulevard and the Juban area. Even Watson and Livingston are seeing massive new subdivisions being built and a lot of the small town charm is gone now. DS has a very beautiful, classic historic district where the antique district is but its surrounded by overdevelopment.

Prairieville and Gonzales are also growing at an uncontrolled pace it seems.

Improvements......definitely in regards to traffic and crime. I-12 needs to be widened all the way to at least Albany IMO and there needs to be an additional Mississippi River bridge like has been proposed and another bypass of the area so thru traffic can avoid I-12. I-10 should also be widened all the way past Gonzales and through Port Allen as well to relieve some of the congestion.

I just wish we can keep some of the small town charm in the outlying areas like Denham or Walker and do more to keep Southern hospitality alive. The Baton Rouge area in general doesn't have the laid back, friendly, down home feel I experience elsewhere in the state like Ponchatoula, Hammond, Alexandria, and Pineville and which I experienced in places like West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee. The driving in Baton Rouge is very aggressive and rude and the same can be said of New Orleans. I don't find BR drivers any better or more courteous than Baltimore drivers. The police often seem to not enforce the speed limits at all and let people drive 15 or 20 miles above.

I'd like the sales tax lowered in both EBR and Livingston Parishes.

I think the positives of this area include a good selection of restaurants and nightlife. We have influences from both New Orleans and Cajun Country in terms of our cuisine as well as mainstream Southern and American influences. I love the beautiful plantation country surrounding Baton Rouge especially the areas around St. Francisville and the River Road plantations. I also enjoy the sports culture associated with LSU. L'Auberge is a cool place for a fancy night out.

I think race relations are average compared with most of America. The culture of political correctness isn't as crazy as in New Orleans or in many other states. I happen to be a very assimilated minority and my race has never been an issue. Yes you see divisions with some people with issues like honoring our history and police relations, but race relations here are no different than when I lived in the Charleston WV area or the Baltimore MD area. Baton Rouge is less racially segregated than what I've seen in California, New Jersey and South Florida. Most people here at least have a few close friends of another race and I regularly see interracial couples.

I've never been to the Shreveport area but have been to Lake Charles. I think LC is a decent enough place though I was struck by the amount of heavy industry there. I think the air quality is poorer compared to BR. Though I do know of all these places, Shreveport is the most protected from hurricanes and major flooding. The most north I've been in Louisiana is Pineville and I find the natural landscape there more attractive than South Louisiana because there are more hills and more topographical diversity.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 AM

I think with development there needs to be a balance, but in Lake Charles where I'm at, if it were up to the general population, we wouldn't even have a traffic light lol. That said, I'm kind of frustrated that all the building seems to be going to the southwest side of the city when the east side has more than enough land to develop and retain. Lots of hotels have popped up along Prien Lake Rd as well as along the interstate (in Sulphur). I'd like to see that same love towards the lakefront and the east side.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Will you ever leave Lake Charles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana