Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,540 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am a single mother with two older children, ages 13 and 16, girls. I have been to Louisiana and the gulf coast, and loved it. I have only one person I know down there anymore however, and so am a little nervous.
I would like to live within an hours distance from New Orleans.
I'd like to know how the job market is there right now. I'd also like any opinions about schools, neighborhoods and the like. I am pretty much a yankee wanna be southerner. Will I be welcomed? Will my children?
I need to relocate, I cannot bear another New England winter. I so want to be somewhere that the trees stay green all year round, and flowers bloom outside in December!!
Any advice, or friendly talk would be very welcome, and greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,543 times
An hour from NOLA, that would be Baton Rouge to the west, the mississippi gulf coast to the east and the northshore across the lake. Take your pick.

The schools are predominately better across the northshore and some of the BTR suburbs. Can't tell you much about the NOLA area schools, but you could always check Jefferson Parish (Metairie/Kenner). Private school can be expensive depending on where you look.
I do believe you would be welcomed quicker and more openingly within the big cities (like NOLA and BTR) but there are plenty of places across the northshore and Mississippi that are more than welcoming to northern transplants like yourself. They might pick a little at first, but it's only for fun (as long as you don't try to compare everything down here to what it was like up there). Speaking of, we've had a really mild winter this year (if you want to call it winter). We're in the 70s and 80s all this week. One of our meteorologists said we had 9 freezing nights this season which so far is half the normal. So it's definitely been warm. And this time of year is a great time to visit south Louisiana. It's crawfish season, all the festivals start cranking up... you can't beat it.
Jobs... There are jobs to be had, although state and some local governments are tightening up their budgets and open positions. But the service industry and construction are in pretty high demand down here. I'm not sure your background. But there are new stores opening up all the time in BTR; also the petrochemical industry is pretty big here and along the river parishes. The petroleum industry is big along the coast and there are plenty of consulting firms that you could also look at if you're more of a geoscience background.

If you can narrow down your search area and give a little more detail, there will be plenty of people on here that can help you out, concerning neighborhoods, schools, jobs, housing prices, etc.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 AM

65 posts, read 381,319 times
I would research places above I-10, yes there are nice areas below, I live in one, but come hurricane season the hassels will not be worth it. While the state and local officials have worked on the levees and pump stations, the big picture of coastal restoration has lanquished. I was watching a local news station and there are NO major coastal restoration projects going on. Yes the warm weather and lots of plants, flowers, birds, butterflies, bugs are really nice. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
Southboundme, being from NH & a single Mom with 2 daughters, I would recommend the Northshore Slidell/Mandiville area. The ideal would be north of I-12. You'll be close enough to NO if you want to visit, but be out of the way for flooding and the high insurance rates.

The public schools on the Northshore are some of the best in the state so I don't think you would have much to worry about on that end.

There are plenty enough Yankees wanna turn southern in the area since Katrina, so I don't think ya'll would be all that unusual to the Northshore folks. Your new neighbors would probably enjoy introducing you to all those weird Louisiana customs.

Anole, I'll bet you know plenty of us Toups!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM

65 posts, read 381,319 times
I am a little mystified by the question of "will I be accepted?". Unless you are a total jerk, I have found that most locals will accept decent people. Be yourself, relax, and ask a lot of questions, cajuns just like to talk about everything.
Drouzin, I know a few Toups here but not many out your way.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Drouzin, I know a few Toups here but not many out your way.
No, not like in Thibodaux that's where our side of the family is from. Grams, a city girl, probably met Grandpa when visiting the "country."

Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 PM

20 posts, read 84,451 times
I grew up in Slidell and loved it. But, I think Mandeville might work for you!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM

k, what's a toupe? Yes, I actually was thinking the Mandeville/Slidell area exactly, I'm glad that came up as a good place for us to go.
I have a loose background in Accounting, I have mostly done Administrative stuff, I work for a non-profit up here, have been for about two years. I basically run the office here.
I would be looking for an administrative type job, I don't think working in the service industry would support all 3 of us.
Thank you all for responding!!!
Anole, I'm not a complete jerk, but there are lots of them up here! People seem to be a lot nicer down there. I have visited, I was just in New Orleans and Mandeville last month, and I am planning another visit in May, to check things out a little more.
Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 AM

LOL! Toups is my maiden name; there are tons of Toups' all over LA.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Default complexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
LOL! Toups is my maiden name; there are tons of Toups' all over LA.
lol! k, that's funny. So, tell me how the rentals are down there, anyone, please. I mean, I don't think I'm ready to buy a house yet, but I haven't really checked into it. I'd rather not live in an 'apartment complex'.
Are there many houses for rent? Or maybe duplexes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana