U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 08:40 PM

21 posts, read 16,454 times

Advertisements

I'm not originally from the south but have lived all over the United States (NJ, PA, AZ, MO, MT, NE, MA). I was offered a position in Lafayette, LA. I was wondering if Lafayette is anything similar to Springfield, MO? I am single and in my late 20's. How is the night life in Lafayette? I did live in New Orleans for a few weeks. What are the similarities and differences between the two cities? Also, I'm sure since it's the south they are polite/friendly but how open are they to outsiders moving into their town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 11:37 AM

14,345 posts, read 20,782,105 times
Never been to Springfield, nightlife is centered around Jefferson St and largely caters to the college kids. There are basically no similarities between the two other than being in the same state. Lafayette has a small city vibe, lots of fantastic restaurants around the metro area is the best thing about Lafayette.
People are people everywhere, people are not nicer because it's the south.
It's a college town so there are plenty of outsiders. You'll be fine.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,709,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgypsy View Post
I'm not originally from the south but have lived all over the United States (NJ, PA, AZ, MO, MT, NE, MA). I was offered a position in Lafayette, LA. I was wondering if Lafayette is anything similar to Springfield, MO? I am single and in my late 20's. How is the night life in Lafayette? I did live in New Orleans for a few weeks. What are the similarities and differences between the two cities? Also, I'm sure since it's the south they are polite/friendly but how open are they to outsiders moving into their town?
Downtown is tiny but very lively. Museums , shops, art galleries, and great restaurants, diners and bars. Its centered around the festivals that happen throughout the year with permanent music stages and parks. I think youll enjoy the downtown vibe. The rest of lafayette is sprawling suburb but the whole city feels close knit and familial. We have had lots of outsiders due to tourism and oilfield work so dont worry about fitting in. Lafayette also has festival international every April which you should really check out. Theres also plenty to do and see in and around the area. Even some off the wall things like a nearby animatronic dinosaur park and a cable operated water skii park.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:02 PM

11,723 posts, read 10,425,047 times
It is nothing like Springfield, MO.

Lafayette is a Cajun French town, it is not really a Southern town per se. The people have this unique Cajun/French accent that kind of sounds like Canadian French with a mixture of Southern twang.

The food is wonderful there, be sure to try all the Cajun specialties like crawfish, ettouffee, jambalaya, & gumbo. There are many festivals celebrating the heritage and there is a lot of history in the area.

Lafayette is the fastest growing city in Louisiana and has the best economy. It is among the wealthiest cities as well and has one of the highest qualities of life in the nation.

As far as night life, it mainly revolves around dancing. There are many dance halls and you will need to learn the Cajun waltz and two-step. There are many live bands, some comedy clubs, and some decent nightclubs, but the scene is mainly around dancing.

I would highly recommend it.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It is nothing like Springfield, MO.

Lafayette is a Cajun French town, it is not really a Southern town per se. The people have this unique Cajun/French accent that kind of sounds like Canadian French with a mixture of Southern twang.

The food is wonderful there, be sure to try all the Cajun specialties like crawfish, ettouffee, jambalaya, & gumbo. There are many festivals celebrating the heritage and there is a lot of history in the area.

Lafayette is the fastest growing city in Louisiana and has the best economy. It is among the wealthiest cities as well and has one of the highest qualities of life in the nation.

As far as night life, it mainly revolves around dancing. There are many dance halls and you will need to learn the Cajun waltz and two-step. There are many live bands, some comedy clubs, and some decent nightclubs, but the scene is mainly around dancing.

I would highly recommend it.
That part isnt really true lately. The oil crash hit our area particularly hard and the overall economy had one of the worst recessions in the nation, but its starting to rebound a little.
As for wealthiest, thats definitely not true, but Lafayette residents have access to some pretty good amenities thanks to higher end developments and forward thinking local groups and entrepreneurs. The quality of life having lived here a long time I would describe as pretty good.

Lafayette is obviously not without its faults, and some are pretty big ones, but its an enjoyable city to live and work in and the community here will support you through thick and thin.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Lafayette is nowhere near the top in the nation for quality of life. It's nice but that's just not true for any of our cities.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lafayette is nowhere near the top in the nation for quality of life. It's nice but that's just not true for any of our cities.
I have to say though, its a lot more enjoyable than NOVA. What a depressing ratrace up there.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I have to say though, its a lot more enjoyable than NOVA. What a depressing ratrace up there.
I can understand that. Laid back and rat race cities both have their pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana