U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 7,586 times

Advertisements

My hubby put in for a job that would be out of Houma. We are both from Az born and raised and have no idea what area is a good place to raise a family! We have never been to Louisiana and feel overwhelmed when we look anything up! We have 5 kids aged 12-3 so we need a family friendly neighborhood. Also looking for good schools for my kids! We need a safe, family oriented, good schools, and not in a flood zone....does that exist down there at all? I'm really worried about my kids fitting in at school and not getting bullied, do the people down there except transplants to the area very well? Please any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Point us in the right direction before we up and move the whole family....tia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 PM

11,612 posts, read 10,285,418 times
Houma is a nice city, it is very Cajun, hope you like that kind of food because Cajun restaurants will be as prevalent as Mexican restaurants in Arizona.

Make sure you buy a house inside the levee. In general the people are very friendly there and it has people from all over due to the oil industry.

You are a short drive to the festivities of New Orleans.

Enjoy.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,300,077 times
We have been in Louisiana for 30 years and love it here. We live on the Northshore near New Orleans. As the previous poster said, Houma is very Cajun and will be a major adjustment for your family, l'm afraid, including language, customs, food, etc..

Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Its a nice city

Old 12-20-2017, 04:35 PM

21 posts, read 80,111 times
LA and AZ are quite different! LA (particularly SE LA) is flat. No hills, valleys, mountains, etc; coming from AZ that could be a significant change. LA also has lots of water, where water in AZ is minimal. Houma is a smaller city about an hours drive from metro NOLA. The area does have a strong cajun influence, but also has the influences of native americans, creoles, french and spanish cultures so it is a bit of a small mixing pot. While there are LOTS of cajun type restaurants in the area there is typical fare that one could find in a metro area of around 200K (a bit larger than Flagstaff for reference). One can find just about any of the day to day necessities in the area (though the area is not large enough to support a major airport, sports venues, etc. NOLA and or BR are close enough for times when larger city amenities are needed). Downtown areas of both Houma and Thibodaux are cute, but DT Houma is not likely an area I would live with younger children. Can not comment on schools as my knowledge is limited. A previous poster noted "language" as being an adjustment? There are older folks that speak "cajun french", but English (with what I can best describe as a thick bayou accent) is spoken by most of the people in the area. It may take some getting used to, but do not think it will be much of an issue. I work in the area at times and have found the people of this area in particular to be by far the most friendly people I encounter (travel SE LA, South MS, and South AL for work regularly). One of the more interesting aspects of the Houma-Thibodaux area are the roadways. Aside from Hwy 90 (which functions as the areas only freeway type highway) it seems that a majority of the main roads have either one way traffic on either side of a bayou with small bridges every couple of blocks or so, or there is a two way road on either side of a bayou. Also the main roads both South and North of Houma do not interconnect very well (i.e. you may not be able to get there from here without going back into the city and getting onto another road; this can be seen on maps of the area). I know that flooding can be an issue particularly South of the city, but from what I understand is not nearly as much of an issue as it is in say NOLA, etc.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 PM

20 posts, read 13,559 times
As someone who was born and raised in Houma I can tell you to avoid looking for homes on the ease side of Houma. Yes the homes may be cheaper however that area is ghetto and prone to flooding. Not to mention the schools on the east side of Houma are worse than those on the west side. Houma is divided into two, the Intercostal Waterway divides east side from west side. I would suggest you look into getting a home in the cities of Schriever, or Gray. Those two places are within the same parish as Houma is located in, Terrebonne. Louisiana does not have counties instead they have parishes. As far as schools go I would recommend Mulberry Elementary, Broadmoor Elementary, Evergreen Junior High and H.L. Bourgious High. Look for homes that are in those areas as those are some of the best schools. Avoid schools like Oaklawn Junior High, Village East, Ellender High, those are some of the worst schools in the parish. Good luck with your move and feel free to reach out to me with any further questions.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:39 PM

273 posts, read 419,658 times
I spent 4 years in the Coast Guard there and loved it. Everybody was welcoming and friendly to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana