Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 39,185 times

Advertisements

I want to make certain I know how to pronounce your city and state

Is the correct way to say Louisiana "lou - weez- e - ana" or
"Lose - e - ana"?

Same for Lafayette is it "La - fee- et" or "La - feet" or "La - fa- yet" or "La-fa-et"

I am serious and do not want to insult my prospective employer when I talk with her. I understand it is a different dialect in south Louisiana and is Lafayette considered South Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,398,097 times
If you aren't from Louisiana, then I think your attempts to pronounce our state's name as if you were a Cajun might be offensive to some while others might find you a little silly. I would, therefore, pronounce it LOO - WEEZ -E - ANA.

As for the city's name, it is pronounced, LAUGH - AY - ETTE.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM

794 posts, read 3,342,808 times
I can't stand it when people say "Lose E Ana". To me it's a sign of ignorance and lack of education although I know many rural people in the state say it like that mostly out of habit. But I can't help but hate that pronunciation.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:08 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
Most of the people that I've heard say "Lose E Ana" the were from Louisiana came from the towns in the northern part of the state. I've always pronounced Lafayette (Lah-Fe-Ette) but I don't know how the locals there say it. "La-Feet" would be Lafitte

Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM

197 posts, read 793,692 times
Louise zee anna/ Lou eeze zee ana

Lah Feh ette/ La fay et

Now real Cajun.....it's way beyond my understanding - especially at 4 am driving from BR-NO, and only being able to pick up 1-2 radio stations...but I think it sounds chez cool. Kept me awake on that 12 hour drive.

I lived in Arcadia for 3 years - I don't recall hearing as many French Cajuns up there as were in the south.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
I'm born and raised in Lafayette Parish. Don't worry about our city/parish name. Even among long time residents we sometimes say it differently depending on how we were raised. Just say it the way you're most comfortable. We have many people here from different parts of the world so we don't get bent out of shape if people say our names wrong as long as it isn't being done to be insulting. Now family names is a different story. If pronounced incorrectly people will just correct you on how their family name is pronounced. Don't be surprised if some of them laugh when you first say their name. We're use to it. In bootcamp I was called Borderline. My family name is Bordelon. I pronounce it boar-del-on. Other parts of Louisiana, Canada, and France may say it another way. No big deal. My grandmother was a Benoit. Here it's pronounced ben-wah. Just don't be surprised when you turn on the early morning news and hear some of the news in French.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM

474 posts, read 1,410,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I can't stand it when people say "Lose E Ana". To me it's a sign of ignorance and lack of education although I know many rural people in the state say it like that mostly out of habit. But I can't help but hate that pronunciation.
I am from Louisiana and I proudly pronunce it Lose E Ana! I am far from ignorant AND definitely not lacking in education! If we are going to express what we really hate - it is people who are ignorant and use too many contractions! Just my own opinion!

Most people, especially the wonderful people in southern Louisiana are agreeable and willing to help anyone "from away" to understand the correct pronunciation of different words and their culture.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,398,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
I am from Louisiana and I proudly pronunce it Lose E Ana! I am far from ignorant AND definitely not lacking in education! If we are going to express what we really hate - it is people who are ignorant and use too many contractions! Just my own opinion!

Most people, especially the wonderful people in southern Louisiana are agreeable and willing to help anyone "from away" to understand the correct pronunciation of different words and their culture.
Agreed, it's no big deal. Think about all the folks who live in the state to our east that pronounce it MISS - SIP - EE.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM

474 posts, read 1,410,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Agreed, it's no big deal. Think about all the folks who live in the state to our east that pronounce it MISS - SIP - EE.

You are so right! AND the list could go on and on!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,760,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
My father is from Louisiana and graduated from Tulane with a degree in engineering. He worked as an aeronautical engineer for over 30 years and worked on Air Force One and the Stealth Bomber. Therefore, I would classify him as far from ignorant and far from uneducated.

He also pronounces his home state as Lose-E-Ana. By the way, he also says 'Nawlins instead of New Orleans. Quit judging people by their local dialects...that in itself is ignorant!

The thing I really hate is when people say New Orleeeens....geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana