U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:36 AM

809 posts, read 352,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm just curious how you have the information about these people. Doesn't seem like you know them enough to make claims about them. I'm also moving to Colorado in a couple weeks.
It's called research. Most information is here in the City Data forums. I'm quite sure that you've read some information about the job field in Colorado. It's not a fact of "knowing them enough" or not.

I've looked into relocating there. We vacationed there in the past, a few times. Talked to locals about employment opportunities. Checked out house prices and rent. Also have a few friends that live in areas there and we talk frequently about moving there. Their advice? Don't do it. The grass is greener rhetoric is true for that place.

I'm quite sure I should know what I'm talking about. But hey, what do I know, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 AM

20 posts, read 13,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In NV the prostitutes are tested weekly and every customer goes through a medical exam first...
How does testing every "customer" get tested first? Does he have to call up a nurse set up an apointment and do lab work before he can vist a "bathouse" for a discrete night of pleasure while his wife is three states away thinking he's on a "business trip"?

Old 10-28-2018, 04:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,688,404 times
Lafayette is a really nice city to live in but I understand if jobs go away people follow. i think they should go harder after tech. we have an established high speed fiber network in place. sell that benefit to tech companies!

Old 10-29-2018, 10:15 AM

11,612 posts, read 10,287,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
How does testing every "customer" get tested first? Does he have to call up a nurse set up an apointment and do lab work before he can vist a "bathouse" for a discrete night of pleasure while his wife is three states away thinking he's on a "business trip"?
There is an on-site nurse at the brothel and the man is required to undress and she inspects his genitals for any obvious signs of STDs. If he has any STDs then he must leave.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,474,468 times
Quote:
We lost a seat in 2010 and may lose another seat in 2020.

What I find perplexing is that Louisiana has just about the same natural resources as SE TX, yet it isn't booming.

Why is Houston growing so gangbusters but Louisiana isn't? We are both based on the same industry: oil.

Even Lafayette is not doing well. Lake Charles is basically the only successful city right now.
Job diversity. Louisiana is mainly an oil & chemical state. They went down that road years ago and I suspect are stuck there, now. There's not much here to attract headquarters or big white collar businesses or large retail, like some other states. Texas is huge, also. Louisiana is small.

Once the area became industrial, I believe that makes it less desirable for white collar jobs. Industrial businesses by their nature are dirty. Flooding is rampant (it wasn't a few decades ago). The cost of living is a tad high, compared to many other cities of the same size, because of the high cost of homeowner's insurance, auto insurance, and health insurance (and there are fewer ins. cos. who want to sell those things here because of all the claims).

Houston is a metropolis, so is not comparable to any city in La., except maybe New Orleans. Houston floods less, and is a tad further from the coast because the coastline dips down.

Lafayette will be booming again in the future. It has a vibrant music business, entertainment business, and a few smaller headquarters. Lake Charles diversified a bit with gambling, but that type of business doesn't attract the kind of white collar people needed for lasting middle class, low crime growth.

As the effects of climate change continue to kick in, I think that the hotter areas, like the Gulf Coast, will lose population or become stagnant, as people move to cooler climates. Hurricanes will get worse & more frequent, as well.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 AM

8,933 posts, read 3,667,161 times
Quote:
We lost a seat in 2010 and may lose another seat in 2020.

What I find perplexing is that Louisiana has just about the same natural resources as SE TX, yet it isn't booming.

Why is Houston growing so gangbusters but Louisiana isn't? We are both based on the same industry: oil.

Even Lafayette is not doing well. Lake Charles is basically the only successful city right now.

"We lost a seat"? Who is "we"? You live in Texas. And a net 2,000 people left Louisiana in the census. OMG!

We like Louisiana just fine, and are building a home on the water in Slidell. Lots sell fast and all the builders are busy.

Like most in the State, I'm happy Louisiana isn't attracting culture-changing liberals from the coasts that are turning States Blue.

Look what's happening to Texas. Look what happened to my home State of Virginia. It's now run by Leftists.

Yes, we like Louisiana just fine.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why does someone have to have a high paying job or be a business owner? Colorado needs plumbers, delivery drivers, mechanics, etc like anywhere else.

Sounds like the south, I'm used to asking "How ya doing?"as a greeting but I really don't care. It's the same as saying hello to me.
Let me help you out. Without high paying jobs and business owners, you won't need plumbers, delivery drivers, mechanics, etc like anywhere else.

A population solely of takers isn't viable, as we see in many major cities.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 AM

11,612 posts, read 10,287,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
"We lost a seat"? Who is "we"? You live in Texas. And a net 2,000 people left Louisiana in the census. OMG!

We like Louisiana just fine, and are building a home on the water in Slidell. Lots sell fast and all the builders are busy.

Like most in the State, I'm happy Louisiana isn't attracting culture-changing liberals from the coasts that are turning States Blue.

Look what's happening to Texas. Look what happened to my home State of Virginia. It's now run by Leftists.

Yes, we like Louisiana just fine.
When other states are growing by hundreds of thousands of people, a loss of 2,000 people means a loss of a representative in Congress. Even some places in the Northeast that GAINED population like Rhode Island are slated to lose a representative because other places, like Texas or Colorado gained population faster.

Lake Charles has propped up the whole state for the past 5 years. If it weren't for all the new jobs created in LC, Louisiana would've lost even more people, probably 10,000 people.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,688,404 times
Louisiana is at a good size. big enough to be interesting, small enough not to get big city problems. It still feels like a real place too and not the cookie cutter sanitized place many other states are becoming.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
When other states are growing by hundreds of thousands of people, a loss of 2,000 people means a loss of a representative in Congress. Even some places in the Northeast that GAINED population like Rhode Island are slated to lose a representative because other places, like Texas or Colorado gained population faster.

Lake Charles has propped up the whole state for the past 5 years. If it weren't for all the new jobs created in LC, Louisiana would've lost even more people, probably 10,000 people.
Maybe you can break down the 2,000 people demographically. Provide a picture of them in general.

A reduction of those requiring Social Services is a net gain for the State in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or