U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM

377 posts, read 327,234 times

Advertisements

We're spending Spring Break in LA and TX this year and we'll be leaving Houston on Sunday morning for a 2pm Atchafalaya tour in Breaux Bridge. We'll be pressed for time and it looks like most places that interest me are closed on Sundays. Any recommendations that aren't too time consuming? It looks like a 3-4 hour drive, but I don't know how traffic is on Sundays and I have a 10 year old who has to make frequent pit stops.

Thanks for your guidance.

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 PM

431 posts, read 969,815 times
Just past Breaux Bridge and a couple of miles off of I-10 is Pat’s Fisherman’s Wharf Restaurant in Henderson. We love the place and occasionally make the drive up from Youngsville. They open at 11:00 am on Sundays, but expect to spend an hour or so there.

There are other options in the area, but that is my personal recommendation.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 PM

11,723 posts, read 10,425,047 times
Leave around 9:00AM and when passing through Lake Charles, stop at Steamboat Bill's (you'll get there around 11:30AM & beat the crowd). It's voted the best seafood in Southwest Louisiana and best restaurant in Lake Charles. Get the following specialties and you'll enjoy them:
crawfish/shrimp pistolettes, gumbo, stuffed crab, boiled crawfish.

After lunch, drive to Breaux Bridge. Budget about 1 hr 30 mins to get there. So probably leave around 12:15 and you'll get to BB around 1:45 PM with time to spare.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:54 AM

8,232 posts, read 4,595,459 times
I second Steamboat Bill's. When you're on I-10, you take the exit and take the u-turn underneath I-10, because Steamboat's is on the other side of the interstate. Then you have to circle back around, going the opposite direction of course, to get back on the interstate. It's easy.

Steamboat's is a downhome eatery. Wear your jeans or shorts and feel free to lick your fingers. If you want to speed things up, ask them what takes the least time to fix. Probably gumbo, since it's already made.

Being Sunday, it might start getting people around noon, if you can get there before then (church people). OTOH, Lint has started.

What kind of a tour is that? On a boat in the Atchafalaya Basin?

Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Thanks! Yes, we're going on a boat tour of the Atchafalaya Basin. I haven't been to Louisiana in 18 years and my daughter's never seen that part of the country, so it should be fun. I see that it's already (still?) 80 down there. I hope it's bearable in late March.

Thanks again.

JB

Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 PM

3,272 posts, read 4,437,926 times
If I didn't have a heat-sensitive husband, we'd be living Lafayette, right now - my favorite city in the world. And I'd probably be far more stout than I am, because I'd be in POUPART'S Patisserie & Boulangerie every day. And yes, you can have lunch there: Lunch Specials

A few photos: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...DekQoioIlAEwDQ

Authentic French (with a New World twist) - the founding couple being from France. There MAY be something better in Montreal (although we haven't found it). But that's how far you'd have to go, for even a chance at France's bar and cafe food, of the quality that Poupart's has to offer.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-15-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Oh my. That would change everything. I've driven from Denver to Santa Fe to go to Clafoutis, another French favorite. I thank you, but my waistline doesn't.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,709,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
If I didn't have a heat-sensitive husband, we'd be living Lafayette, right now - my favorite city in the world. And I'd probably be far more stout than I am, because I'd be in POUPART'S Patisserie & Boulangerie every day. And yes, you can have lunch there: Lunch Specials

A few photos: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...DekQoioIlAEwDQ

Authentic French (with a New World twist) - the founding couple being from France. There MAY be something better in Montreal (although we haven't found it). But that's how far you'd have to go, for even a chance at France's bar and cafe food, of the quality that Poupart's has to offer.
That place is less than a minute from where I work but Ive never been there. Is that fresh macarons Im seeing?!

Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM

839 posts, read 367,419 times
Stop at Petos in Roanoke. There's some good smoked boudin there. There's also a diner inside for fresh orders. Don't forget to try some cracklins too.

Take it to go and take exit 64 in Jennings. Turn left, go to the I-10 Park. Nice lake to watch ducks, see gators and you can stretch your legs walking around the lake. It's paved, so don't worry about the mud.

Have fun!

Oh and if you don't want to stop in Roanoke, there's a Bourbon St. Cafe at the truck stop. Food is pretty good, decent prices.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:59 PM

24 posts, read 20,190 times
Landry's on I-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or