Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 12,947 times

Advertisements

Hello....I am needing some help. I have created a salsa recipe that I have been making for over a year. My friends and family are encouraging me to put it on the shelf. To start selling it. I don't have the first clue as to how to accomplish this. I have a couple local super markets that are family owned I could approach about a trial run. What do I do legally? Do I get a trademark, copyright or patent on this recipe? I was going to use the canning jars and have a nice label created to give it presentation. I would of course love for this to go into all stores for people to enjoy. I know I must start small. I am willing to work. I just need some direction for my area as to where I am to start. I am just a mom that stays home and takes care of my kids. I have been wanting something to do in my time at home and to help supplement my husband who works hard. Considering the amount of people who go nuts over this recipe and tell me they would buy it I would be stupid not to listen to wisdom and try. So, if you have any information I would be grateful to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
May I suggest you do a google search "Selling Food From Home"

The regulations vary from state to state. You should fine a lot of usefull information here to get you started.

Good luck! I Love Salsa!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:53 PM

157 posts, read 560,346 times
You know I have that question too. I have a chili recipe I created (I even won a contest) that everyone loves and is encouraging me to market as frozen chili. I guess I need a patent and a good patent attorney or risk everyone copying my product. Just wonder if you get info would you pass along to me. It is fire engine hot, but tasty and full of my secret ingrediants.

I have heard create it secure the patent and then go to markets and try to get them to put on their shelf. A boutique market would work better I heard that on a TV show where inventors bring their product.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM

14 posts, read 74,439 times
Default it's doable, but..

My husband and I looked into it a couple years ago. You can do it - if you just want to sell to local groceries, stores, etc, you can probably do it. A lot of local stores will sell your locally-made product for you. The catch is, if you want to expand, you need the barcode specifically designated for your product/company. It's expensive. That is how computerized registers ring it up. Locals can do it on the "generic" grocery key, but I doubt a big chain will do that for you.
Plus, you are supposed to have a separate commercial kitchen. I know a lot of people get around that, but if you get caught, you will probably get shut down.
Also, there is the liability issue of having insurance specifically for this venture. Regular homeowners would not cover a commercial venture.

It is a really good way to get started, but if you want to expand, you do have to consider these issues....

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalford3 View Post
Hello....I am needing some help. I have created a salsa recipe that I have been making for over a year. My friends and family are encouraging me to put it on the shelf. To start selling it. I don't have the first clue as to how to accomplish this. I have a couple local super markets that are family owned I could approach about a trial run. What do I do legally? Do I get a trademark, copyright or patent on this recipe? I was going to use the canning jars and have a nice label created to give it presentation. I would of course love for this to go into all stores for people to enjoy. I know I must start small. I am willing to work. I just need some direction for my area as to where I am to start. I am just a mom that stays home and takes care of my kids. I have been wanting something to do in my time at home and to help supplement my husband who works hard. Considering the amount of people who go nuts over this recipe and tell me they would buy it I would be stupid not to listen to wisdom and try. So, if you have any information I would be grateful to hear it.

Hope it goes well for you. I'm looking forward to trying your salsa!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonybird View Post
My husband and I looked into it a couple years ago. You can do it - if you just want to sell to local groceries, stores, etc, you can probably do it. A lot of local stores will sell your locally-made product for you. The catch is, if you want to expand, you need the barcode specifically designated for your product/company. It's expensive. That is how computerized registers ring it up. Locals can do it on the "generic" grocery key, but I doubt a big chain will do that for you.
Plus, you are supposed to have a separate commercial kitchen. I know a lot of people get around that, but if you get caught, you will probably get shut down.
Also, there is the liability issue of having insurance specifically for this venture. Regular homeowners would not cover a commercial venture.

It is a really good way to get started, but if you want to expand, you do have to consider these issues....
This is all very good advice. The Louisiana law is that you may produce a food product at home for sale commercially provided that sales do not exceed $5000 per year. So, considering the cost of the ingredients in your product — be it chili or potato salad or whatever — your potential income from an in-home venture is not that great. My wife and I had come up with Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Cookies a few years ago, but after a trial run for one year, we gave up on the idea. We then set about to market the cookie recipe to a few of the national firms, but they wanted to steal the recipe from us.

I also tried to sell my mom's potato salad to a couple of mom & pop restaurants in the B. R. area, but none were willing to even sample the delicious product I had to offer them.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 12,628 times
Default kitchen use

I understand there are portable professional kitchens that can be rented. I believe they meet health code standards but you would need to check in your state. You might think about 'buying' kitchen time from a local restaurant when they are not in use. I heard someone talk about doing this on an entrepeneurer show also. I have a baked bean recipe I'm trying to sell as well. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana