Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,721 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are early 30s, married, with a non school age child. My husband is considering a job in the Alexandria area. I know it's a pretty small town and I am thinking I might be ok with that. I do have a small concern (or big concern?) We are an interracial couple. My husband is black, I am white and our baby is mixed. will we get just a few looks? couple mean comments? or will it be hard for someone to even accept an offer on a house from us, in a well to do neighborhood? what will school life be like for my child in the future? I don't want to offend anyone with my questions, please don't take it the wrong way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,039 times
Louisiana is chock full of interracial couples.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
You will be fine. We do have lots of interracial couples here. Even I dated a few white girls.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
The Alex metropolitan area is over 250, 000 people, not exactly small.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The Alex metropolitan area is over 250, 000 people, not exactly small.
That is pretty small. I consider Baton Rouge small at over 800,000 people.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM

209 posts, read 460,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFuel36 View Post
My husband and I are early 30s, married, with a non school age child. My husband is considering a job in the Alexandria area. I know it's a pretty small town and I am thinking I might be ok with that. I do have a small concern (or big concern?) We are an interracial couple. My husband is black, I am white and our baby is mixed. will we get just a few looks? couple mean comments? or will it be hard for someone to even accept an offer on a house from us, in a well to do neighborhood? what will school life be like for my child in the future? I don't want to offend anyone with my questions, please don't take it the wrong way.

You family will be fine in Louisiana for interracial marriage.

But seriously, if your husband cannot get a promotion or a management level job (like a managmenet job in GE plant), I recommend you looking for somewhere else (I assume you locate at Southeast Ohio in the profile). Alexandria will be a very very boring town and it is hard to get another job in somewhere else. Everything is small.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 AM

14 posts, read 34,854 times
I grew up in Alexandria and miss it terribly. I would agree with others in that it's not the easiest town to find a good career.

I am biased but I think Alexandria is the perfect mix of small town and big town. There are plenty of things to do and see but you don't get the insane traffic snarl of a town like Lafayette. Cost of living is surprisingly high, though, and some areas are crime-ridden.

Look at Pineville across the Red River for a nice alternative.

Plenty of interracial couples in the area. Alexandria is roughly 50% white, 50% black, so you can do the math on the way that goes. I know the South in general gets this whole rep for racism but I've lived in Illinois and Indiana for the last 5 years and I've heard way more blatant racism in that time than I ever heard growing up in Central La.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I grew up in Alexandria and miss it terribly. I would agree with others in that it's not the easiest town to find a good career.

I am biased but I think Alexandria is the perfect mix of small town and big town. There are plenty of things to do and see but you don't get the insane traffic snarl of a town like Lafayette. Cost of living is surprisingly high, though, and some areas are crime-ridden.

Look at Pineville across the Red River for a nice alternative.

Plenty of interracial couples in the area. Alexandria is roughly 50% white, 50% black, so you can do the math on the way that goes. I know the South in general gets this whole rep for racism but I've lived in Illinois and Indiana for the last 5 years and I've heard way more blatant racism in that time than I ever heard growing up in Central La.
That's a very subjective statement. My head would explode if I had to live there.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM

31 posts, read 126,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That is pretty small. I consider Baton Rouge small at over 800,000 people.
That's crazy talk. Anything with a number close to one million is not small!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forummer View Post
That's crazy talk. Anything with a number close to one million is not small!
When compared to other cities it can be called small. After living in Houston, which is over 6 million people, it does seem small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana