U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:36 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,197,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
As a southerner, what I notice most about the difference between The South and Cajun Country is that Cajun Country is a predominantly Catholic area, therefore it doesn't have the judgmental Bible Belt vibe that much of the South has.
Very correct. Not to go on a political rant, but these people until recently weren´t conservative to a T like other southern locales. They´re definitely beholden to the abortion issue as ¨bleeding heart¨ Catholics, and this has caused them to vote Repub. in modern times. But definitely in terms of drinking, passing a good time and letting everybody live their lives, it´s not like the rest of the South!

Also I won´t be foolish and act like racism isn´t an issue there, but it´s not nearly as heavy or pronounced. Many Cajuns and Creoles alike are mixed blood, it´s just a question of which identity they choose to adopt. The University of Louisiana (then called SLI) integrated in 1954, and it was without military intervention or bloody protests. You even see black cowboys and harley biker groups in Zydeco clubs, I love the melting pot feel that the region has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 PM

8,287 posts, read 4,650,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Derogatory, not really. Cajuns call themselves coon-asses. It's more playful than anything.
Louisiana passed a law, as I recall, years ago, making it clear that "coon ass" is a derogatory term, although some of the older ones refer to themselves as that and do not take offense.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:34 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,202,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Louisiana passed a law, as I recall, years ago, making it clear that "coon ass" is a derogatory term, although some of the older ones refer to themselves as that and do not take offense.
Never met a Cajun who didn't call themselves a coon ass.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:38 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,088,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And, IMO, Cajun Country/Acadiana is synominous.
I wonder if the traditional or the official state definition of Acadiana still holds true due to all the population and cultural changes. Should Ascension Parish and West Baton Rouge Parish really be considered Acadian or Cajun? I really don't see anything truly Cajun about Port Allen, Donaldsonville, Prairieville or Gonzales. The last two in particular feel like generic suburbia, with more transplants from New Orleans than from Cajun country.

I think Baton Rouge itself has more Cajun influences than Creole influences, though once you get to Hammond and Ponchatoula most of the influence is New Orleans Creole.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I wonder if the traditional or the official state definition of Acadiana still holds true due to all the population and cultural changes. Should Ascension Parish and West Baton Rouge Parish really be considered Acadian or Cajun? I really don't see anything truly Cajun about Port Allen, Donaldsonville, Prairieville or Gonzales. The last two in particular feel like generic suburbia, with more transplants from New Orleans than from Cajun country.

I think Baton Rouge itself has more Cajun influences than Creole influences, though once you get to Hammond and Ponchatoula most of the influence is New Orleans Creole.
Honestly American culture is homogenizing more and more across the board. Especially with the internet generations such as my own.

Many enclaves of unique cultures are smoothing into the clay.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:00 PM

8,287 posts, read 4,650,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
How is Acadiana or "Cajun Country" different from the rest of the South or the rest of the USA? Do discernible cultural differences still exist? If so, what are they?
From what vantage point? Tourism? Or as a history lesson (the people and culture)?

Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 AM

631 posts, read 350,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
From what vantage point? Tourism? Or as a history lesson (the people and culture)?
From a lived experience vantage point. It used to be that when someone from some other part of the U.S. (or world) would visit southwest Louisiana, they would experience the difference... as in hear French spoken and/or hear people speaking with Cajun-accented English. When I was an undergraduate student in Maine, I met an older Mainer student who had lived in south Louisiana before going back to school. He said he could speak with and understand people in French across the region (he was from a Francophone family in Maine). He really loved it.

Later, as the language was dying out, the tourist industry erected *structures* to keep parts of what made southwest Louisiana different, different. These *structures* included Cajun dance halls, Cajun and Creole restaurants, and Cajun and Creole oriented festivals. Now, I've heard that the Cajun dance hall scene has also faded and the festivals in the region are moving away from Cajun and Creole themes.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Never met a Cajun who didn't call themselves a coon ass.
Years ago, Jamie Bergeron had a popular song named "Registered Coonass". It caused a Twitter-/Facebook-storm among those who were offended by it. They launched a campaign to have local radio stations ban it.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Honestly American culture is homogenizing more and more across the board. Especially with the internet generations such as my own.

Many enclaves of unique cultures are smoothing into the clay.
That's what I've been seeing in this country as well, including in my childhood home, Maine.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Years ago, Jamie Bergeron had a popular song named "Registered Coonass". It caused a Twitter-/Facebook-storm among those who were offended by it. They launched a campaign to have local radio stations ban it.
Really? This thread is literally the first time I have ever heard about it being anything other than playful.

Then again when I was a teen I thought "coloreds" was an okay way to refer to black people. Guess growing up rural really does disconnect you in a way.

These days though it's hard to tell what is actually offensive and what is just snowflake rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana