Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 21,701 times

Advertisements

Cruised these forums about a year ago trying to gather as much feedback as I could before moving here, so now that I've lived in the area, it's time to return the favor!

Monroe is accurately described by most of the people here as a small city with small-town attitude. The bars and restaurants are comfy, and cater to a Southern palate more than anything else. Enjoyed the requisite crawfish and catfish joints, but preferred buying and cooking my own.

Despite a pretty depressed economy, prices are surprisingly high, possibly due to the college crowd spending dad's cash.

Black Bayou Lake and park is by far my favorite spot, and is breathtakingly beautiful. Cycling there is a ton of fun, and there are awesome trails, along with a cool boardwalk that goes a few inches INTO the swamp. Lots of snakes and turtles... saw a gar and catfish. Be careful that you don't venture into hunting grounds by mistake. They're not clearly marked so get a map from the visitor's center.

Cyclists beware: Monroe has no bike paths. ULM has a couple along the roads on the immediate perimeter, but these paths end as soon as you cross the road. Safety gear and bright clothing strongly recommended!

ULM itself is a bland experience. I guess if the main concern is passing classes and attending generic neon-green/pink tee-shirt student events, I could enjoy it. But I didn't find much intellectual stimulation, not enough for me to get involved. I figured that out in about 8 months, so now I'm just on easy-in-easy-out mode. There is, however, solid financial help afforded by ULM to students that maintain a decent grade, so I'm grateful for that.

Counter-culture is minimal. The most deviant it's going to get around here is possibly Tsunami, a nice hole-in-the-wall type bar downtown where some cool local bands perform every week.

Also worth considering is the Mohawk Bar and Grill.

The downtown is nice in a post-apocalyptic-future kind of way. Lots of dead shops and buildings, old mannequins behind dust-caked window panes... looks like a good Left 4 Dead map. The art district is also interesting, but most shops close early. If you want to visit the art shops, head out before 4 at the latest.

Take a long drive around the area and you'll notice how bad the poverty is, relative to the rest of the nation. I was frankly surprised to see people living in windowless houses in very cold climates, despite the seemingly high availability of accommodation. Standards of living seem to take a dive in some areas. The average per capita income could be an indicator, but you'd think prices would be driven down.

Cops here are pretty tight and ready to crack down on just about anything. 420, loitering etc seems to be a top priority. I get the feeling things have always been a certain 'way' around here culturally and they intend to keep it that way. Fine by me. I'm ready to hit the road ASAP.

Graduating in another term and though ULM offers a very affordable graduate program... I woud not stay here an extra couple of years. Life's too short.

Got my scopes on New Orleans, Texas, Hawaii or California.

And yes. Monroe AND West Monroe stink on certain days. Maybe one more than the other, but it's more than anyone who pays public taxes should have to endure. There IS an upside to this smell... no-one -ever- notices when you fart!

Last edited by klusterfunk; 05-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: added info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I stayed on campus on Bon Aire Dr in a house backing up to the bayou. My cousin graduated with her doctorates from ULM. The campus is the nicest area of Monroe, by far.
I normally defend Louisiana cities but I completely agree. I'd run as fast as possible.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM

420 posts, read 478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I stayed on campus on Bon Aire Dr in a house backing up to the bayou. My cousin graduated with her doctorates from ULM. The campus is the nicest area of Monroe, by far.
I normally defend Louisiana cities but I completely agree. I'd run as fast as possible.
I quit, I cant win

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klusterfunk View Post
Cruised these forums about a year ago trying to gather as much feedback as I could before moving here, so now that I've lived in the area, it's time to return the favor!

Monroe is accurately described by most of the people here as a small city with small-town attitude. The bars and restaurants are comfy, and cater to a Southern palate more than anything else. Enjoyed the requisite crawfish and catfish joints, but preferred buying and cooking my own.

Despite a pretty depressed economy, prices are surprisingly high, possibly due to the college crowd spending dad's cash.

Black Bayou Lake and park is by far my favorite spot, and is breathtakingly beautiful. Cycling there is a ton of fun, and there are awesome trails, along with a cool boardwalk that goes a few inches INTO the swamp. Lots of snakes and turtles... saw a gar and catfish. Be careful that you don't venture into hunting grounds by mistake. They're not clearly marked so get a map from the visitor's center.

Cyclists beware: Monroe has no bike paths. ULM has a couple along the roads on the immediate perimeter, but these paths end as soon as you cross the road. Safety gear and bright clothing strongly recommended!

ULM itself is a bland experience. I guess if the main concern is passing classes and attending generic neon-green/pink tee-shirt student events, I could enjoy it. But I didn't find much intellectual stimulation, not enough for me to get involved. I figured that out in about 8 months, so now I'm just on easy-in-easy-out mode. There is, however, solid financial help afforded by ULM to students that maintain a decent grade, so I'm grateful for that.

Counter-culture is minimal. The most deviant it's going to get around here is possibly Tsunami, a nice hole-in-the-wall type bar downtown where some cool local bands perform every week.

Also worth considering is the Mohawk Bar and Grill.

The downtown is nice in a post-apocalyptic-future kind of way. Lots of dead shops and buildings, old mannequins behind dust-caked window panes... looks like a good Left 4 Dead map. The art district is also interesting, but most shops close early. If you want to visit the art shops, head out before 4 at the latest.

Take a long drive around the area and you'll notice how bad the poverty is, relative to the rest of the nation. I was frankly surprised to see people living in windowless houses in very cold climates, despite the seemingly high availability of accommodation. Standards of living seem to take a dive in some areas. The average per capita income could be an indicator, but you'd think prices would be driven down.

Cops here are pretty tight and ready to crack down on just about anything. 420, loitering etc seems to be a top priority. I get the feeling things have always been a certain 'way' around here culturally and they intend to keep it that way. Fine by me. I'm ready to hit the road ASAP.

Graduating in another term and though ULM offers a very affordable graduate program... I woud not stay here an extra couple of years. Life's too short.

Got my scopes on New Orleans, Texas, Hawaii or California.

And yes. Monroe AND West Monroe stink on certain days. Maybe one more than the other, but it's more than anyone who pays public taxes should have to endure. There IS an upside to this smell... no-one -ever- notices when you fart!
Welll.........what can I say. Every one is entitled to their opinion. I cant say I disagree with anything you said, and Im BURNING to debate.....but not this time. I have defended my Monroe for a long time, and if folks dont get it, they just wont get it.

I will say this....

My problem with some people's opinions on here are is noone give a real unbiased decision. Its all common, un-studied, focused facts, no full fledged combed review with balanced feedback. I respect everyones opinon on here but what I dont respect is a piece of story to benefit you small fashionable facts about a certain topic.

I rarely see a true open-minded comment without satisfying the common knowledge which usually supports a negative thought. When people come to this site they are looking for pure info. Not whats always wrong, but just facts. How about the lighter side to go with your popular negative demand.....................

Anyway.....

ugh....Im currently looking to build a home soon....in Monroe, LA. I guess I love foul smells, unintellectual convo, and depressing lifestyles...right?
(shrugs).....Monroe, LA for life buddy. Deal with it.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I quit, I cant win
Honestly, not like I say every inch of the city but ULM was the nicest area. I don't hate Monroe but I would probably hate living there. I would probably say the same about Alexandria but I haven't spent enough time there.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,277 times
Klusterfunk, I completely agree. I have been here just about 6 months and concur with everything you stated. LOUISIANA'SLEGEND, from what I can see, this review is about as unbiased as it gets. While KlusterF mentions the truth and negative aspects of this location, he/she also boasts about the Bayou Lake/Park and favorite bar. From reading many threads concerning southern towns and southern personalities, it appears most southerners have a strong pride in where they live, but that clouds the true overall experience. Most responses I see from southerners, where the opinion isn't overly optimistic of their living style, are anger and unfounded insults (i.e. revenge).

I also completely agree on the complete lack of intellectual stimulation. My best guess is that perhaps it has to do with the Bible Belt culture. Perhaps the parents expected their children to simply believe everything they tell them, especially about the bible, and never to question it. I'm fairly sure most of them would get shunned if they questioned their parents decisions or bible teachings and hence, not questioning things is engrained. Frankly, in my opinion, questioning is the root to intellectual thought. To question something means you are seeking answers. To find those answers, sometimes we will have to do research. Through research and learning we gain knowledge and grow. Our understanding of things then changes and more questions arise. They cycle of questioning, learning, and growing keeps flowing like a strong river. This is not the case in the south where they preach no back-talk from their children and do as I say (i.e. do not question me). They call this respect of their parents/elders when in fact it completely stifles their ability to grow.

Most responses from southerners to this post will be negative I'm sure. There will not be the concept of "i agree. I've thought we should do this and this is how we can get there to make things better. or, I disagree. This is why this or that is a good thing." Most other threads have southerner responses like "if you don't like it leave" or "maybe it's your attitude". Funny thing is, I have heard this from more than one co-worker who is local "maybe it's your attitude". Yes, I am positive it is my attitude. But here is the failure of their thought pattern, they don't even think to ask "why does he not like it here? Why does he have this attitude?". You see, I was actually excited to move to the south when I got my job offer here. My attitude coming here was happy and laid-back. My attitude began changing quickly as I sensed their attitudes of dislike for me. I've noticed a heavy skeptical/leeriness they have of everyone, and some a sheer hatred for anything that doesn't look or talk like them. Perhaps if they simply considered others concerns as constructive feedback instead of insults and were open-minded, this place could change. I won't hold my breath however.

Now to the silliness of "there's those people everywhere", or "that's a stereotype". Yes, this is true. There are "those people" everywhere and there are stereotypes. Guess why? Because most likely it represents the truth of the majority. While it doesn't mean exactly everyone to the last baby is the same, it represents truth in referring to the majority (over 50% ) of the people and hence, pervasive in the culture.

Ok, touching base a little bit again on whether it's my personality or the locals. I work between two of the many locations of this national company homed here. The one location i work with mostly locals and the other location, mostly implants. While on a personal/work level many of them seem really nice and genuine, the locals I can only share with so much. You see, they believe that it is my "attitude" that is the problem. At my other work location, I can share just about every experience I have and you know what, they all are in the same boat. They mostly dislike the location and the local attitudes. The problem for them is, the jobs they wanted started popping up here because of one local company's success. So they are here for the job/experience and I suspect they will not be staying much longer after that.

Another point I would like to make about monroe is a point many of my friends have made of the south, which is their superficial kindness. Southerners perpetuate this idea that they are hospitable. This hospitality is very shallow indeed. I blew off most of what my good friend told me about how fake the people were in Georgia but now I wish I had taken more stock in his wisdom. I figured he was just being grouchy. Wrong move for me right? The same is for here in the Monroe area. Again, while this may not be everyone as I definitely like many of my coworkers, it is the majority here and overall pervasive cultural attitude. I found this out quite fast once I asked simple questions, whether it be about my new bill with the water company or purchasing something at a store. Questioning things to gain knowledge really upsets them and that mask of kindness falls as fast as Hussein's army. Whether they don't like to explain because they themselves are ignorant and you just uncovered it, or if questioning is an authority challenge to them, or both, not being inquisitive and/or accepting of it will keep this place depressed in economy and emotionally.

Another point I would like to make is the state's challenge in attracting/raising/keeping career talent. To grow the tax revenue and thereby lift up the local economy, they need talent jobs (i.e engineers) since most low end jobs are simply leaving the united states. One thing touted by the state is it's ability to attract businesses, or it has an excellent business climate. Perhaps that's true for manufacturing which would net many blue-collar jobs but see my point above, most of the blue-collar jobs are dwindling. So how do they attract talented folks to live here when talented folks have many choices for employment? And keep in mind higher paying middle class jobs net more tax revenue for them and the spending injected into the economy is much greater than low-paying blue-collar jobs. The answer to my question is mostly going to be moot unless the minority of intelligent people here can convince the others there is a better path of openness/understanding/growing than forcing everyone who comes here to suppress their intellect to fit in. If only the intelligent people here could help guide the others in a better direction, but considering their intelligence is mostly limited to "how to run a business by counting numbers and undercutting the competition", I don't see any creative ideas coming out on how to improve the overall culture. But we all must understand I think, that these same business intelligent people are the same as the others, indoctrinated into the no-change culture. They can run a business and undercut the competition, but they are extremly challeged in their creativity. They will have an extremely tough time attracting and keeping any high-level paid talent until they grow with the rest of the U.S. and world. Technology is not the enemy Monroe!

Out of all of the places I have lived for decent stretches of time, there is probably only one i would prefer less than Monroe. I believe this was simply due to the exact house/neighborhood I was at. Beyond that neighborhood (i.e <5 minute drive) I saw better environments and could easily get away from the nonsense. Unless my family and I suddenly have an influx of positive experiences, i feel our time here will not be long. I cannot see raising my child here either as I would see myself as failing her and would never forgive myself for not doing all I could to make her future full of opportunity and happiness. Staying here I fear will never offer her really anything positive in her life, unless that life was to be extrememly simplistic and extrememly limited in her aspirations.

Lastly, considering many folks like to give their credentials in these post to try and impress upon readers that they have some idea of what they say, i will say this about me. Yes, i have lived in multiple states/cities/towns, some bigger and some larger than the Monroe area. I served in the U.S. Military and have lived in a few other countries in the east and middle east. The places i would like to stay away from are Detroit, Middle East and soon to be, the south or perhaps more specifically, the bible-belt and Monroe. Who knows, tomorrow is another new day and I will continuously look for positives. When any and all creative juice I have is spent on looking for this elusive G-spot, I may find myself back in the intellectual capital of the US, Seattle Washington.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mfh View Post
Klusterfunk, I completely agree. I have been here just about 6 months and concur with everything you stated. LOUISIANA'SLEGEND, from what I can see, this review is about as unbiased as it gets. While KlusterF mentions the truth and negative aspects of this location, he/she also boasts about the Bayou Lake/Park and favorite bar. From reading many threads concerning southern towns and southern personalities, it appears most southerners have a strong pride in where they live, but that clouds the true overall experience. Most responses I see from southerners, where the opinion isn't overly optimistic of their living style, are anger and unfounded insults (i.e. revenge).

I also completely agree on the complete lack of intellectual stimulation. My best guess is that perhaps it has to do with the Bible Belt culture. Perhaps the parents expected their children to simply believe everything they tell them, especially about the bible, and never to question it. I'm fairly sure most of them would get shunned if they questioned their parents decisions or bible teachings and hence, not questioning things is engrained. Frankly, in my opinion, questioning is the root to intellectual thought. To question something means you are seeking answers. To find those answers, sometimes we will have to do research. Through research and learning we gain knowledge and grow. Our understanding of things then changes and more questions arise. They cycle of questioning, learning, and growing keeps flowing like a strong river. This is not the case in the south where they preach no back-talk from their children and do as I say (i.e. do not question me). They call this respect of their parents/elders when in fact it completely stifles their ability to grow.

Most responses from southerners to this post will be negative I'm sure. There will not be the concept of "i agree. I've thought we should do this and this is how we can get there to make things better. or, I disagree. This is why this or that is a good thing." Most other threads have southerner responses like "if you don't like it leave" or "maybe it's your attitude". Funny thing is, I have heard this from more than one co-worker who is local "maybe it's your attitude". Yes, I am positive it is my attitude. But here is the failure of their thought pattern, they don't even think to ask "why does he not like it here? Why does he have this attitude?". You see, I was actually excited to move to the south when I got my job offer here. My attitude coming here was happy and laid-back. My attitude began changing quickly as I sensed their attitudes of dislike for me. I've noticed a heavy skeptical/leeriness they have of everyone, and some a sheer hatred for anything that doesn't look or talk like them. Perhaps if they simply considered others concerns as constructive feedback instead of insults and were open-minded, this place could change. I won't hold my breath however.

Now to the silliness of "there's those people everywhere", or "that's a stereotype". Yes, this is true. There are "those people" everywhere and there are stereotypes. Guess why? Because most likely it represents the truth of the majority. While it doesn't mean exactly everyone to the last baby is the same, it represents truth in referring to the majority (over 50% ) of the people and hence, pervasive in the culture.

Ok, touching base a little bit again on whether it's my personality or the locals. I work between two of the many locations of this national company homed here. The one location i work with mostly locals and the other location, mostly implants. While on a personal/work level many of them seem really nice and genuine, the locals I can only share with so much. You see, they believe that it is my "attitude" that is the problem. At my other work location, I can share just about every experience I have and you know what, they all are in the same boat. They mostly dislike the location and the local attitudes. The problem for them is, the jobs they wanted started popping up here because of one local company's success. So they are here for the job/experience and I suspect they will not be staying much longer after that.

Another point I would like to make about monroe is a point many of my friends have made of the south, which is their superficial kindness. Southerners perpetuate this idea that they are hospitable. This hospitality is very shallow indeed. I blew off most of what my good friend told me about how fake the people were in Georgia but now I wish I had taken more stock in his wisdom. I figured he was just being grouchy. Wrong move for me right? The same is for here in the Monroe area. Again, while this may not be everyone as I definitely like many of my coworkers, it is the majority here and overall pervasive cultural attitude. I found this out quite fast once I asked simple questions, whether it be about my new bill with the water company or purchasing something at a store. Questioning things to gain knowledge really upsets them and that mask of kindness falls as fast as Hussein's army. Whether they don't like to explain because they themselves are ignorant and you just uncovered it, or if questioning is an authority challenge to them, or both, not being inquisitive and/or accepting of it will keep this place depressed in economy and emotionally.

Another point I would like to make is the state's challenge in attracting/raising/keeping career talent. To grow the tax revenue and thereby lift up the local economy, they need talent jobs (i.e engineers) since most low end jobs are simply leaving the united states. One thing touted by the state is it's ability to attract businesses, or it has an excellent business climate. Perhaps that's true for manufacturing which would net many blue-collar jobs but see my point above, most of the blue-collar jobs are dwindling. So how do they attract talented folks to live here when talented folks have many choices for employment? And keep in mind higher paying middle class jobs net more tax revenue for them and the spending injected into the economy is much greater than low-paying blue-collar jobs. The answer to my question is mostly going to be moot unless the minority of intelligent people here can convince the others there is a better path of openness/understanding/growing than forcing everyone who comes here to suppress their intellect to fit in. If only the intelligent people here could help guide the others in a better direction, but considering their intelligence is mostly limited to "how to run a business by counting numbers and undercutting the competition", I don't see any creative ideas coming out on how to improve the overall culture. But we all must understand I think, that these same business intelligent people are the same as the others, indoctrinated into the no-change culture. They can run a business and undercut the competition, but they are extremly challeged in their creativity. They will have an extremely tough time attracting and keeping any high-level paid talent until they grow with the rest of the U.S. and world. Technology is not the enemy Monroe!

Out of all of the places I have lived for decent stretches of time, there is probably only one i would prefer less than Monroe. I believe this was simply due to the exact house/neighborhood I was at. Beyond that neighborhood (i.e <5 minute drive) I saw better environments and could easily get away from the nonsense. Unless my family and I suddenly have an influx of positive experiences, i feel our time here will not be long. I cannot see raising my child here either as I would see myself as failing her and would never forgive myself for not doing all I could to make her future full of opportunity and happiness. Staying here I fear will never offer her really anything positive in her life, unless that life was to be extrememly simplistic and extrememly limited in her aspirations.

Lastly, considering many folks like to give their credentials in these post to try and impress upon readers that they have some idea of what they say, i will say this about me. Yes, i have lived in multiple states/cities/towns, some bigger and some larger than the Monroe area. I served in the U.S. Military and have lived in a few other countries in the east and middle east. The places i would like to stay away from are Detroit, Middle East and soon to be, the south or perhaps more specifically, the bible-belt and Monroe. Who knows, tomorrow is another new day and I will continuously look for positives. When any and all creative juice I have is spent on looking for this elusive G-spot, I may find myself back in the intellectual capital of the US, Seattle Washington.
Wow..... very enlightening to hear to say the least. You have to know that different perspectives are what built this country. I can easy say people outside of the south can chat themselves into irrelevancy, but there's still something to gain from the broader, wider, outlook of a non-native of the south. You can also gain something from that back seat, simplistic, moral mindset of a southerner. The combination of cultures(the Asians, Mexicans, Middle Eastern, etc) all have something to offer for the greater good of any company or country such as ours.

Now.....I have looked at this post of yours for a few days now, wondering if I should feed you, encouraging you to "intellectually chat" in a manner that seems irritated and bothered in general. You've named several other places you don't like along with Monroe, LA? What are you really saying? Are you hard to please? Are you so systematic, as many former residents of big cities are, to where you need to be wired up all the time, on the edge and stimulated to the point you dont have time to really measure who you are and enjoy life for what it is????????

Well........(sighs) Not me. I cant live like that. I love good food, outdoors, family, and most of all........a sense of being(...alive)

In big cities, I always felt I needed to fit a certain coding, file, shape, or be compatible to a system that is very inhumane to me. I dont want to feel like I need to know whats going on in this world(even though I do), dont want to be scanned for my IQ level for approval for a manufactured society. BUT......doesnt mean there isnt anything to gain from it.

Again, I wont get upset with your opinion and evaluation of Monroe, LA. I will dispute that you and the other guy are not in true realization that you are in a totally different environment and disrespecting the fact that we do things very unorthodox to a foreign eye similar to those coming from a different region. If I go to Seattle, Washington it would be ignorant to relate to my own social inclinations. My only assumptions will be the city is losing its economic power because it has lost a few large establishments, (I think you know one and the NBA team a few yrs ago). Fishing industry, muggy rainy weather, and a space needle, other than that, I'm gonna be open minded. There will be great neighborhoods and bad ones Im sure. What I will not do is disrespect the culture and try to devalue what the region has to offer in favor of my ways and native customs.

I love your type though. I will dispute like many others have before and after me on regional social affairs. I just love people, but I love positivity better. I cant live my life looking for whats wrong without at least finding a positive upside somewhere.

Last edited by Louisiana'sLegend2; 05-16-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 AM

3 posts, read 21,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Welll.........what can I say. Every one is entitled to their opinion... noone give a real unbiased decision. Its all common, un-studied, focused facts, no full fledged combed review with balanced feedback... I dont respect is a piece of story to benefit you small fashionable facts about a certain topic.

I rarely see a true open-minded comment without satisfying the common knowledge which usually supports a negative thought. When people come to this site they are looking for pure info. Not whats always wrong, but just facts. How about the lighter side to go with your popular negative demand... I guess I love foul smells, unintellectual convo, and depressing lifestyles...right?... (shrugs).....Monroe, LA for life buddy. Deal with it.
Looks like I touched a nerve. With all that talk about facts, you sure didn't include too many in your post.

I can't match your sarcasm... or your bulletproof optimism for Monroe.

I'm glad someone found their home here. Good luck to you and Monroe.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM

14 posts, read 72,269 times
I've only been in Monroe for a short time now but I'm already counting the days until I can leave. Sure, there are some very nice homes here in certain areas but so much of the area is just dilapidated. I actually find it depressing to drive or walk around this place! As someone mentioned previously, the downtown area has this "post-apocalyptic-future" feel to it... if it weren't for the people driving thru, you would think it to be a ghost town! Crime is just out of control here (go to crimereports.com sometime). Every night when I go to bed I wonder if this is gonna be the night we experience a home invasion. I'm ordering a security system and getting a gun ASAP!

My advice to anyone thinking of moving here is this: DON'T! But if you absolutely have to (for whatever reason), get in and out ASAP. Don't even think of settling down or buying a home here. Try to find a house to rent or an apartment in either West Monroe, North Monroe or near ULM's campus. Don't make the mistake I did of renting a place in Monroe itself that has "character".

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
It seems most that complain about Monroe, come to go to school, and get bored because there isn't enough nightlife or things to do. This is true enough. And NLU- still can't get used to ULM after all these years, is a bit bland, but I liked it. People who like smaller towns might like Monroe just fine. After school, I didn't stick around, but I didn't speed off either. I have never been a fan of someone saying "don't move here", or "stay away". Maybe they are trying to help, but it is likely their opinion, or bad luck.

There are nicer towns in Louisiana for sure, but for someone looking for a smallish city and needs some shopping and places to eat Monroe would work fine for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana