Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times

Advertisements

It seems that more states than not have at least two universities with friendly (or maybe unfriendly) rivalries that make sports more exciting for the fans. Being in the Deep South, I think of Miss State/Ole Miss and Alabama/Auburn. But here, no other university is given the same attention as LSU when it comes to sports. No other university has a chance against LSU. Partially because Southeastern is playing LSU this weekend for the first time in decades, this is on my mind.

Why doesn't LSU have an in-state rival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Politics

Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
There just really isn't another college up to snuff in LA. On top of that, LSU is a brand. A brand that sells even as far north as here in NY. In the form of hot sauce.

No other college team in the US is really treated the same way as LSU, nor has the multi-regional reach in its fame.

Something tells me Louisiana is not very interested in a second college team.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There just really isn't another college up to snuff in LA. On top of that, LSU is a brand. A brand that sells even as far north as here in NY. In the form of hot sauce.
Are you referring to athletics or academics?

Quote:
Something tells me Louisiana is not very interested in a second college team.
A lot of us beg to differ, but apparently not nearly enough.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
I'd like to see LaTech's budget increase to become LSU's rival in sports. Gives us a north/south split, it's a high quality academic school, and the investment may do great things for Ruston.

UL should be able to drop the UL-Lafayette designation and compete with LSU as well but I could see far more hesitation with state officials there.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:57 AM

806 posts, read 876,290 times
When I was a kid , Tulane was somewhat of a rival but that's gone now .

Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,283 times
LSU will definitely have no decent competition in football, that´s for sure. The Cajuns beat the Tigers in baseball often enough, but that´s not enough to make a true rivalry..they never stood a chance in football against them, and basketball isn´t much different. I suppose the most frequent and evenly matched in-state rivalry is UL-Lafayette and UL-Monroe, but we´re not talking power conferences here. As a Cajun alum I was hoping to see a yearly series in football between the Cajuns and Tulane, Lafayette people love to come pass a weekend in New Orleans and it would boost attendance numbers for sure.

Let´s not forget the Bayou Classic! That´s an important series.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Why doesn't LSU have an in-state rival?
There's other states with no real in-state rival, at least in football, and maybe in other sports. Just look at Ohio, Illinois (maybe Illinois and Northwestern?), Wisconsin, Arkansas, Missouri, New Jersey, Maryland, Nebraska, and Minnesota.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:05 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There's other states with no real in-state rival, at least in football, and maybe in other sports. Just look at Ohio, Illinois (maybe Illinois and Northwestern?), Wisconsin, Arkansas, Missouri, New Jersey, Maryland, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
Outside of Ohio, none of those schools are on the level of LSU, none of those conferences are as brutal as the SEC, and Louisiana is the best football producing state in the country. We should be able to keep much of the talent that goes to Bama here in state at a school like LaTech or UL. LSU is too scared to let another school share the spotlight, that's why it's always tried to stop ULL from legally becoming UL. It's also a flagship and shouldn't have the city designation like ULM or LSUS.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
^Exactly Annie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana