U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 04:34 AM

14,439 posts, read 20,926,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think you might be right when it comes to food, but I like to play devil's advocate and say that St. Tammany might actually have more in common with Southern Georgia or South Carolina than with New Orleans:

1. Coastal Georgia and South Carolina have a cuisine similar to creole cuisine.
2. There are really no pine forests on the Southshore. Whereas both St. Tammany and Coastal Georgia/South Carolina are filled with pine forests.
3. St. Tammany Parish is mostly white and Republican and therefore has more in common with coastal Georgia/South Carolina, politically, than NOLA.
4. St. Tammany is really your classic Deep South suburban town indistinguishable from rural Southern Georgia or South Carolina, whereas NOLA is a colonial-era, historic tourist magnet.
I think while there are many comparisons, no one will agree to this here lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:12 AM

8,703 posts, read 13,107,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Have lived on the Northshore for almost 30 years. Disagree completely that St. Tammany is like southern Georgia and SC. No way. It is very similar to Metarie in almost every way, politics, food, etc... Can't stand the food in coastal SC. - too bland and not a fan of shrimp and grits. Northern Livingston Parish and northeastern Tangipahoa Parish are kind of similar to north LA.
I actually do like the food in coastal SC (that's one of my favorite travel destinations especially Charleston) and I love traditional Southern cooking. You actually get a lot of traditional Southern and country cooking in the Appalachian areas like West Virginia and Kentucky which I kinda miss. In fact I wish there were more traditional country diners around Livingston Parish.

St. Tammany Parish does have a large Catholic population too which makes it similar to NO and Acadiana.

What's interesting is that in Baton Rouge and Ascension Parish, Cajun French surnames like LeBlanc and Hebert are still pronounced the French way. In Denham or Hammond its give or take, some people from these areas named LeBlanc do pronounce the C in the end. I hear in Monroe, Hebert is pronounced Hee-bert with a very pronounced T at the end and Richard is pronounced the same as the first name.

IN terms of landscape I'd say St. Francisville and areas north of Zachary and the upper tier of Livingston and St. Helena Parishes are most similar to North Louisiana. A lot of Livingston has both pine forests AND deciduous trees that change color but the Felicianas are hillier and have more deciduous vegetation, similar to areas like Pineville.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,381,916 times
There are some wonderful country diners in MS. A wonderful one (country buffet) in Foxworth (Country Diner); you go there for food, not atmosphere. There are 2 also in Collins, which are very good.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
There are some wonderful country diners in MS. A wonderful one (country buffet) in Foxworth (Country Diner); you go there for food, not atmosphere. There are 2 also in Collins, which are very good.
Wish there was more around Livingston Parish or Baton Rouge. I do think the Hammond/Ponchatoula has some great down home diners like Paul's Cafe and Paw Paw's in Ponchatoula. I think BR and Denham try too hard to be Cajun and while Cajun culture and cuisine is awesome I do love regular down home Southern stuff too!

Old 03-17-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Wish there was more around Livingston Parish or Baton Rouge. I do think the Hammond/Ponchatoula has some great down home diners like Paul's Cafe and Paw Paw's in Ponchatoula. I think BR and Denham try too hard to be Cajun and while Cajun culture and cuisine is awesome I do love regular down home Southern stuff too!
That's because Baton Rouge is more cajun than Mississippi..lol. It's south Louisiana, not Jackson.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,381,916 times
Quote:
Been to both Paw Paw's and Paul's many times. Paw Paw's is now closed. Paw Paw's had a buffet, but no where as good as the three in MS I mentioned earlier. Paul's does not have a buffet, unless they recently added one. If you want good southern cooking and a lot of food at an excellent price, head to Collins or Foxworth. Think fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, potato salad, pork chops, chicken and dressing, rice/gravy, purple hull peas, sweet potatos, homemade desserts, etc..

Old 05-15-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's because Baton Rouge is more cajun than Mississippi..lol. It's south Louisiana, not Jackson.
Funny thing is nobody in Lafayette or Lake Charles considers Baton Rouge to be Cajun at all, though Ascension and West BR Parishes are officially part of Acadiana. I do think the Cajun influence is strong in Ascension. Livingston is hard to classify in that its not really Cajun or Creole but still not quite Deep South.

South Mississippi also has a clear French influence at least in their cuisine.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,726,870 times
Baton Rouge doesnt feel very Cajun to me, but the proximity to River Parishes and true Cajun areas means it does retain a little of that flavor. The food needs something but its alright. Enough Lafayettiens filter in there to keep the region kind of Cajunesque and of course NOLA brings its own joie de vivre. For me the city is just a bit too stuck up and snobby to really feel like a cajun or creole town. Its a very professional environment due to being the capitol and that kind of thins out the roux if you know what I mean

Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is nobody in Lafayette or Lake Charles considers Baton Rouge to be Cajun at all, though Ascension and West BR Parishes are officially part of Acadiana. I do think the Cajun influence is strong in Ascension. Livingston is hard to classify in that its not really Cajun or Creole but still not quite Deep South.

South Mississippi also has a clear French influence at least in their cuisine.
Yeah and people in New Orleans dont even consider Baton Rouge as a part of the entire south Louisiana culture. They think we don't know how to make a roux, etc. Livingston has less cajun culture than even Baton Rouge does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Baton Rouge doesnt feel very Cajun to me, but the proximity to River Parishes and true Cajun areas means it does retain a little of that flavor. The food needs something but its alright. Enough Lafayettiens filter in there to keep the region kind of Cajunesque and of course NOLA brings its own joie de vivre. For me the city is just a bit too stuck up and snobby to really feel like a cajun or creole town. Its a very professional environment due to being the capitol and that kind of thins out the roux if you know what I mean
Well you're from Lafayette so that makes sense but if you were to compare cooking styles of locals, it leans HEAVILY towards cajun influence and almost none to creole influence. You won't find tomatoes where they shouldn't be.
I had to laugh at the snobby part. There isn't a shred of snobbishness in the Big Raggedy. It's nowhere near a professional town, it's a blue collar town that has the Capitol. Theres no professional business culture like there is here in Boulder or Denver. It's full of plant workers and 40% of people or whatever below the poverty line. That's your opinion and it's cool but being from BR, we experience the kind of snobs that suggest that Baton Rouge isn't Louisiana enough because we aren't one of the most unique cities on earth (New Orleans) or we aren't the starting place for Acadian culture. Every Louisiana city can't be the home to unique cultures that grew and formed separately over decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or