U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM

14,418 posts, read 20,897,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The only way that I-10 bridge is going to get built in a timely manner is with tolls. Besides most people on that bridge are not even from Louisiana. Get the toll revenue from out of state people to pay for a bridge in the city. That's smart.
That's not the only people who will pay, it'll be poor people traveling to and from work and we all know how poor Iberville and WBR are. Tolls like this negatively affect the poor far more than anyone else and that's completely unacceptable when we give billions to big companies in subsidies. It's objectively not smart.
Quote:
That's because they are always improving it. Previous improvements included:
* Adding a second causeway (previous causeway built in 1956 was just one lane in each direction, toll funds were used to twin the causeway).
* Adding the "crossovers" so you could U-turn. Back in the day once you got on the causeway you were stuck. Tolls were used to pay for that improvement.

The latest improvement is adding shoulders along some of the length:
Safety improvement project slated to begin on Causeway | Causeway Bridge

Do you agree with these improvements or do you wish that the causeway resembled the way it was circa 1956 when it was built as a 2 lane road with no shoulders and no way to turn around?
Those improvements didn't need to be paid for by tolls. It's a public road that should have been paid for through taxes and not at point of use.

One lawmaker in Texas agrees (although his reasoning may be different than mine) https://abc13.com/5152215/?fbclid=Iw...ampaign=buffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 01:32 PM

11,756 posts, read 10,508,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's not the only people who will pay, it'll be poor people traveling to and from work and we all know how poor Iberville and WBR are. Tolls like this negatively affect the poor far more than anyone else and that's completely unacceptable when we give billions to big companies in subsidies. It's objectively not smart.

Those improvements didn't need to be paid for by tolls. It's a public road that should have been paid for through taxes and not at point of use.

One lawmaker in Texas agrees (although his reasoning may be different than mine) https://abc13.com/5152215/?fbclid=Iw...ampaign=buffer
There will still be a free way (pardon the pun, the I-210 bridge). Also tolls will be greatly reduced for residents. For example Grand Isle residents don't have to pay a toll to use the tolled LA 1 expressway. They could implement such a policy:

https://www.nola.com/politics/2010/0...to_be_exe.html

I don't know why you oppose something that will improve the infrastructure in America. We shouldn't be debating about how it's paid for, we should just get it done.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:

But the facts are that Louisiana simply doesn't have enough money to fund improvements like this. They'd have to raise the gas tax or what have you. By the way, the people on the Northshore commuting to New Orleans aren't "the poor people" they are "the rich people" or at least "middle class people".

Old 03-01-2019, 05:42 PM

14,418 posts, read 20,897,649 times
Quote:
There will still be a free way (pardon the pun, the I-210 bridge). Also tolls will be greatly reduced for residents. For example Grand Isle residents don't have to pay a toll to use the tolled LA 1 expressway. They could implement such a policy:

https://www.nola.com/politics/2010/0...to_be_exe.html

I don't know why you oppose something that will improve the infrastructure in America. We shouldn't be debating about how it's paid for, we should just get it done.
They could be eliminated though. It won't improve infrastructure as much as it should and we have the means not to add another flat tax that negatively affects the poor and middle class.
Quote:
But the facts are that Louisiana simply doesn't have enough money to fund improvements like this. They'd have to raise the gas tax or what have you. By the way, the people on the Northshore commuting to New Orleans aren't "the poor people" they are "the rich people" or at least "middle class people".
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKCN0WA2OG

Zurik: $11 billion later, Louisiana

We give the money away. And today Edward's announces another taxpayer funded chemical plant that will add more stress on our road network that they don't even contribute to. It's not raising the taxes, it's them paying their fair share. Amazon got a refund on $11 billion in revenue and paid $0 in federal taxes.
I disagree that all of St. Tammany is rich or middle class, same with Tangipahoa. But im talking about Iberville and West Baton Rouge parishes, two places you know are poor.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 PM

4,666 posts, read 1,884,548 times
Which bridge is getting replaced? Baton Rouge over the Mississippi or Lake Charles?

I will say, those bridges on I-10 really concern me on my drives between Texas and Atlanta.

Are they widening I-12?

Old 03-07-2019, 03:09 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,672,191 times
Wasn't that 1% tax for hotel lodgers supposed to go towards some of the infrastructure in Lake Charles. LC, needs several highway upgrades at this point. I don't even know where to begin...…..

Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I disagree that all of St. Tammany is rich or middle class, same with Tangipahoa. But im talking about Iberville and West Baton Rouge parishes, two places you know are poor.
Why are you talking about Iberville and WBR? I'm talking about the I-10 bridge in LAKE CHARLES not BR!!!!

The bridge in LC will be tolled. There currently is NO PLAN for a bridge in BR as the powers that be drag their feet.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Which bridge is getting replaced? Baton Rouge over the Mississippi or Lake Charles?

I will say, those bridges on I-10 really concern me on my drives between Texas and Atlanta.

Are they widening I-12?
The Lake Charles bridge over I-10 will be converted to a 6 lane tollway.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:58 AM

359 posts, read 300,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Wasn't that 1% tax for hotel lodgers supposed to go towards some of the infrastructure in Lake Charles. LC, needs several highway upgrades at this point. I don't even know where to begin...…..

You can start by attending the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury meetings and witnessing first hand their waste tax payer funds!

Of course my arguments over where is all the money is going is pointless because someone else on this forum is going to say that government should be providing for all the needs of its people with social programs.

For your consideration at BUDGET COMMITTEE

Thursday, March 7, 2019
Quote:
Consideration of making a recommendation with reference to approving requests for grant funding from the Economic Development/Parishwide Needs Allocation of the Gaming Fund. Each item, if approved, will include adoption of a resolution approving a Cooperative Endeavor Agreement between the Police Jury and the requesting entity, as well as authorization for the President of the Police Jury, or his designee, when appropriate, to execute all documents related thereto. The requests are as follows:

(A) Community Center and Playground District No. Two of Ward Four (SPAR) - $35,000 - for costs related to the LHSAA Girls State Softball Championships to be held in Sulphur in April, 2019;

(B) Community Center and Playground District No. Two of Ward Four (SPAR) - $10,000 - for costs related to the LHSAA Boys State Baseball Championships to be held in Sulphur in May, 2019;

(C) Calcasieu Parish Voluntary Council on the Aging, Inc. - $100,000 - funding assistance for the 2019 Meals on Wheels program;

(D) Louisiana High School Athletic Association - $10,000 - for costs associated with the LHSAA Boys Basketball Championships (Marsh Madness) held at the Burton Coliseum Complex in March, 2019; and

(E) Louisiana High School Rodeo Association - $25,000 - for costs associated with the 2019 State High School and Junior High School Rodeo which will be held at the Burton Coliseum Complex in May-June, 2019.

https://calcasieu.novusagenda.com/ag...doctype=Agenda

Old 03-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
You can start by attending the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury meetings and witnessing first hand their waste tax payer funds!

Of course my arguments over where is all the money is going is pointless because someone else on this forum is going to say that government should be providing for all the needs of its people with social programs.

For your consideration at BUDGET COMMITTEE

Thursday, March 7, 2019

https://calcasieu.novusagenda.com/ag...doctype=Agenda
Well meals on wheels is a good program. The others are mainly sports funding and are pittances ($10k come on). Are you suggesting we don't try to lure softball championships here? We just lured the Olympic trials here and I heard we got it by underbidding the other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or