U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:34 AM

359 posts, read 300,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well meals on wheels is a good program. The others are mainly sports funding and are pittances ($10k come on). Are you suggesting we don't try to lure softball championships here? We just lured the Olympic trials here and I heard we got it by underbidding the other cities.

Our government budgets are slashed to death by 1,000 paper cuts sir.

My post was in response to a question asking where our 1% hotel tax went and I provided proof.

If I were to blindly agree to your argument then we should also accept more state and city funding for the New Orleans Saints football team. We should give them $1,000,000,000 to make a new stadium so we can attract more tourists.

Yet, in the view of crumbling infrastructure across the state. We could invest in our roads (which the CPPJ does as part of the original referenced post) and see how much more business wants to come here. I prefer to bring business to Louisiana as opposed to more tourists because tourists are temporary and not going to stay in our state and contribute to long term economy.

*SIDE NOTE: Ah the pitfalls of revealing my name. I am the mark now. Chase the evil business man rabbit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:02 PM

14,411 posts, read 20,885,336 times
Quote:
Why are you talking about Iberville and WBR? I'm talking about the I-10 bridge in LAKE CHARLES not BR!!!!

The bridge in LC will be tolled. There currently is NO PLAN for a bridge in BR as the powers that be drag their feet.
This is incredibly irrelevant to my point. Lake Charles is also poor. All of Louisiana is poor.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
Our government budgets are slashed to death by 1,000 paper cuts sir.

My post was in response to a question asking where our 1% hotel tax went and I provided proof.

If I were to blindly agree to your argument then we should also accept more state and city funding for the New Orleans Saints football team. We should give them $1,000,000,000 to make a new stadium so we can attract more tourists.

Yet, in the view of crumbling infrastructure across the state. We could invest in our roads (which the CPPJ does as part of the original referenced post) and see how much more business wants to come here. I prefer to bring business to Louisiana as opposed to more tourists because tourists are temporary and not going to stay in our state and contribute to long term economy.

*SIDE NOTE: Ah the pitfalls of revealing my name. I am the mark now. Chase the evil business man rabbit!
I agree with this. Invest in infrastructure, schools, social programs, etc. Not giving away poor peoples dollars to billionaires.
But it'll never change.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:49 PM

11,750 posts, read 10,500,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is incredibly irrelevant to my point. Lake Charles is also poor. All of Louisiana is poor.
It's really simple. Answer these questions.

1. Do you believe we need a new I-10 bridge over the Calcasieu River in LC?
2. Do you understand that there is funding for this I-10 bridge but it's 20-30 years from now?
3. Do you realize we cannot wait 20-30 years? The bridge may literally fall down by then.
4. That being said if temporary tolls can be placed on the bridge to help defray the cost, along with MAKING IT FREE FOR LOCALS, is that a better option than waiting 20-30 years?

Answer yes/no to each question.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
It's really simple. Answer these questions.

1. Do you believe we need a new I-10 bridge over the Calcasieu River in LC?
2. Do you understand that there is funding for this I-10 bridge but it's 20-30 years from now?
3. Do you realize we cannot wait 20-30 years? The bridge may literally fall down by then.
4. That being said if temporary tolls can be placed on the bridge to help defray the cost, along with MAKING IT FREE FOR LOCALS, is that a better option than waiting 20-30 years?

Answer yes/no to each question.
1. Yes
2. (No) It's not 20-30 years from now.
3. (Yes) Don't have to wait 20-30 years
4. (Absolutely not) Again, we don't need tolls and don't need to wait 20-30 years. So no tolls is not a better option.

Tax the companies who've ruined our state's infrastructure and environment, you'll have tens of billions in 20-30 years.

This is what Jindal said after giving away poor and middle class people's tax money to rich people. https://www.nola.com/opinions/2015/0...sianas_co.html
This is what his party thinks about his actions, which are prevalent in both major political parties.
https://www.theamericanconservative....ked-louisiana/

Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
1. Yes
2. (No) It's not 20-30 years from now.
3. (Yes) Don't have to wait 20-30 years
4. (Absolutely not) Again, we don't need tolls and don't need to wait 20-30 years. So no tolls is not a better option.

Tax the companies who've ruined our state's infrastructure and environment, you'll have tens of billions in 20-30 years.

This is what Jindal said after giving away poor and middle class people's tax money to rich people. https://www.nola.com/opinions/2015/0...sianas_co.html
This is what his party thinks about his actions, which are prevalent in both major political parties.
https://www.theamericanconservative....ked-louisiana/
Edwards already rescinded ITEP so money will start coming in. Having that bridge tolled is a non-issue.

By the way, I was wrong, it will be 12 years if we rely on LADOTD, 3 years if we toll it. Now you understand?

"LADOTD has pledged its federal match dollars for the next 12 years to projects in more populated areas (New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Shreveport)."
source: https://www.allianceswla.org/news/20...-river-bridge/

Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Edwards already rescinded ITEP so money will start coming in. Having that bridge tolled is a non-issue.

By the way, I was wrong, it will be 12 years if we rely on LADOTD, 3 years if we toll it. Now you understand?

"LADOTD has pledged its federal match dollars for the next 12 years to projects in more populated areas (New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Shreveport)."
source: https://www.allianceswla.org/news/20...-river-bridge/
It's not rescinded, they still pay 20% less.
It's probably a non issue for you, and that's fine, but it will be for others.

I understand what they say, I don't believe them. I'd be willing to bet that if a toll is placed on this bridge, it will somehow be renewed and that builder will "donate" more money to whoever pushes it through the legislature.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
It's not rescinded, they still pay 20% less.
It's probably a non issue for you, and that's fine, but it will be for others.

I understand what they say, I don't believe them. I'd be willing to bet that if a toll is placed on this bridge, it will somehow be renewed and that builder will "donate" more money to whoever pushes it through the legislature.
You mean how the CCC toll eventually came off (even though taxpayers voted for the tolls to continue).

Old 04-10-2019, 05:04 PM

450 posts, read 225,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A toll? I used to have to use a toll road to go to work. Do you have any idea what kind of cost that adds to a worker's expense to get to and from work? It's day after day, twice a day, week after week, year after year. And it goes up every year. Year after year. Tolls never end, even though they say they will.

And you'll have to buy a toll card and put it on your vehicle. You have to pay for those. When you get a new car, you can try and peel it off and put it on the new vehicle. If it doesn't work, you'll have to buy a new one.

The toll got so costly over the years, that people who were low paid workers couldn't use the toll road, anymore. They had to spend a lot of time working their way in roundabout ways to get to work, or taking a bus that used the long, roundabout ways.

Are they going to keep the old bridge, for those who can't afford the toll?

Tolls are great for those who can afford them, though.
I cross the I-10 bridge twice per day for work also because of the I-210 bridge construction... which will go on forever (likely). No way will I pay a toll just to get to work. I'll go through Moss Bluff if I have to.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,670,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I cross the I-10 bridge twice per day for work also because of the I-210 bridge construction... which will go on forever (likely). No way will I pay a toll just to get to work. I'll go through Moss Bluff if I have to.
The LA14/US171 corridor also needs to be upgraded to federal highway standards, traffic is terrible now. It would serve better as a six lane highway with a large median. I have the feeling that many plant workers will be using US 171, LA 378, AND LA 12 as alternate routes to get to Sulphur, Westlake, and Beaumont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or