Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 16,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well who in the hell would want to hire an ugly girl for a sales position?? If you go back and read my post (which was posted eons ago) you will see that a good gal has to have more than looks to succeed. But face it, looks sure don't hurt That being said I have no shame to admit that if given two job candidates with exactly the same I.Q. and credentials, I'm gonna hire the one who is more attractive.
Who in the hell said I was looking for a sales position? You assumed that because I'm (gasp!) female and must not know how to do anything else.

I'm an Industrial Electrician. Have you seen some of the men in that field? Believe me, looking good is no requirement for that.

If you read my first comment, which was also posted eons ago, I said usually how it works is, I'm told on the phone, YES WE'RE HIRING, send *HIM* on in.

And then they see the 37 year old female and say... "um, uh, we don't have any openings."

What you said pretty much proves the attitude here-- that women are good for nothing but looking good and f'ing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Let me put it in perspective here:

Suppose a Hispanic with a degree in business were looking for a job, and was told "What do you mean? Lots of farms are looking for people just like you to pick tomatoes." I mean, that would be racist and very insulting, don't you think?

Last edited by halfiepint; 11-21-2010 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfiepint View Post
Who in the hell said I was looking for a sales position? You assumed that because I'm (gasp!) female and must not know how to do anything else.

I'm an Industrial Electrician. Have you seen some of the men in that field? Believe me, looking good is no requirement for that.

If you read my first comment, which was also posted eons ago, I said usually how it works is, I'm told on the phone, YES WE'RE HIRING, send *HIM* on in.

And then they see the 37 year old female and say... "um, uh, we don't have any openings."

What you said pretty much proves the attitude here-- that women are good for nothing but looking good and f'ing.
Actually I was referring to the sales position I described so so long ago for my own business. Research has proven that people are more likely to buy something from an attractive person. I'm running a business. Not a feelings factory.

Congratulations. Now I know it is your personality that made it hard for you to get hired.

Had to show your post to my wife, who is now laughing harder than me. You are so misguided.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 AM

Well, I don't use my looks to get money-- prostitutes do that. I don't.

I"m glad your trophy wife finds me entertaining. I hope for her sake she didn't sign a prenup.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfiepint View Post
Well, I don't use my looks to get money-- prostitutes do that. I don't.

I"m glad your trophy wife finds me entertaining. I hope for her sake she didn't sign a prenup.
If your online personality is any reflection on your appearance, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Nobody is pay money to spend time with you.

I'm happy to say my wife is quite the trophy...she is every bit as beautiful at 64 as she was at 20. Brains and beauty. Always wondered how an ugly guy like me got so lucky.

Hope you can find the same happiness one day.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
Does anyone have an practical advice on what it might be like for my husband and I moving from Virginia Beach to Houma? I know it's a LOT smaller, and I'm not worried so much about jobs (he'd be moving for a position in the maritime industry there and I am a freelancer) but more about culture and diversity. Are there really no ethnic restaurants, natural foods stores, and entertainment options? We don't fish or hunt, nor will we start, so that doesn't appeal at all. What about live theater, movies, fine dining, etc? Love Cajun food, but not 7 days a week/365 days a year. And how about exercise and fitness options? We're both into fitness, I'm a runner, he's an amateur bodybuilder and former trainer--are we going to feel like fish out of water there? (saw someone's comments about it being the fattest county??) any info would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Last edited by wickedblonde; 06-12-2013 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: adding thank you

Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Small town in south Louisiana. A bit slower paced and the arts/culture scene will be limited. You can see stuff like that in New Orleans.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Is there a reason why you are looking at Houma? Baton Rouge and New Orleans offer what you need much much better.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
How sad...I have been visiting Houma for the last week and what impresses me most is the kind, welcoming people. Houma is not at all what I expected...it's so much better!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,186 times
Default Stay Away from Houma, LA

I know this posting is old but I wanted to share my experience anyways. I was warned and advise before moving but didn’t want to listen. I read a lotof negative feedbacks and still decided to move due to the good salary that Iwas being offered. That turns to be nothing because the cost of living is high.A decent one bedroom apartment is over $1,000.00 per month, plus utilities. Houma has hot humidunbearable Springs and Summers with lots of Mosquitoes. Fall is somewhat okay,temperature wise. There is nothing to see there. No pretty parks, Nothing! Onlyswamps and traffic. No decent public transportation. No decent shopping. Thisis not a tourist town. It’s an industrial town. New Orleans is an hour away and it’s verydifficult to find parking and if you find it is expensive. I have live in a fewparty towns like St. Augustine, Key West, etc. but New Orleans is disgustingfull of drunks and people vomiting in the streets.

If you think you know the south you do not, until you moveto Louisiana.I have live in Alabama, Georgia, Florida,but Louisianais nothing like it. Backwards and no forward thinking from the government. Mostof the Hotels (if not all) are own or operated by greedy foreigners. The onlynice thing about Houma is Mr. Ronnie's Famous Hot Donuts and Mardi Gras time,but beware it can get ugly. Look someplace else, do not subject yourself or yourfamily to this dump. You can get a job working off-shore oil industry someplaceelse. I lasted 10 months and still trying to forget the horrors I encounter. If you see positive comments in this page about Houma is mostly from locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana