U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Alabama
1,306 posts, read 2,714,094 times
Reputation: 1266

Advertisements

Greetings!

My family and I will be spending the long 4th of July weekend in Cajun country. Specifically our "home base" will be Grand Coteau/Sunset.

I want to hear from locals about things to do in the area that are kid friendly and budget friendly. We are mostly interested in Catholic-y things and cultural experiences.

I'm very interested in checking out Lafayette since I've only ever passed through on I-10. Also interested in Cajun dining that is affordable for a large family.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM
 
277 posts, read 427,095 times
Reputation: 272
I recommend Prejean's in Lafayette for Cajun Food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,049 posts, read 4,721,624 times
Reputation: 1442
Prejeans is touristy but there are much better and cheaper spots. search in the smaller towns nearby youll find some charming little cajun spots.
I recommend touring Avery Island and the Tabssco plant and in Lafayette check out Vermilionville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
5,251 posts, read 2,526,004 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Prejeans is touristy but there are much better and cheaper spots. search in the smaller towns nearby youll find some charming little cajun spots.
I recommend touring Avery Island and the Tabssco plant and in Lafayette check out Vermilionville
Which restaurants/bars do you recommend in Lafayette?

I'm visiting June 27-July 1. Staying in an AirBnB near downtown with my sweetie.

Restaurants I've been to include Pamplona, Johnson's Boucaniere, and Blue Dog Cafe. Bars/dance halls that I've been to include Blue Moon Saloon, Fred's Lounge, La Poussiere, and Angelle's Whiskey River Landing.

I love boudin, gumbo, étouffée, beans & rice, cornbread, pralines, and bread pudding. He's an oyster fan. We love Cajun music, especially vintage Cajun, like the Balfa Brothers.

So far we have plans to visit Acadiana Park, Vermilionville, and Avery. Jungle Gardens looks amazing. And I love me some Tabasco!

We also plan to go to Wurst Biergarten and have breakfast at French Press.

Oh, by the way, how is DIs Cajun Restaurant?

I've chatted with you before. I appreciate your comments about Lafayette as we are seriously scouting it out as a possible forever home. We're currently in Milwaukee.

Thanks,
Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 PM
 
856 posts, read 375,684 times
Reputation: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Which restaurants/bars do you recommend in Lafayette?

I'm visiting June 27-July 1. Staying in an AirBnB near downtown with my sweetie.

Restaurants I've been to include Pamplona, Johnson's Boucaniere, and Blue Dog Cafe. Bars/dance halls that I've been to include Blue Moon Saloon, Fred's Lounge, La Poussiere, and Angelle's Whiskey River Landing.

I love boudin, gumbo, étouffée, beans & rice, cornbread, pralines, and bread pudding. He's an oyster fan. We love Cajun music, especially vintage Cajun, like the Balfa Brothers.

So far we have plans to visit Acadiana Park, Vermilionville, and Avery. Jungle Gardens looks amazing. And I love me some Tabasco!

We also plan to go to Wurst Biergarten and have breakfast at French Press.

Oh, by the way, how is DIs Cajun Restaurant?

I've chatted with you before. I appreciate your comments about Lafayette as we are seriously scouting it out as a possible forever home. We're currently in Milwaukee.

Thanks,
Jo

Definitely check out DI's. Great food. On the weekends, there's usually live bands. I'm not sure on what days, actually. But call them to make sure. Oh yeah, make sure you get there early. It gets busy!!!

Also, go check out The Regatta in Lake Arthur. Take I-10 West towards Lake Charles. You'll cross into Jefferson Davis Parish on a bridge over a bayou. When you get to Exit 64, exit. Take a left through Jennings. Continue south on Hwy 26 to Lake Arthur. In LA, take a right at the 2nd(?) red light to Main Street. Take left and go down a few blocks. Can't miss it. While there, there's a park to walk off that great food. There's lots of things to see in the area.

Oh yeah, in Jennings, at the I-10 Park, can't miss it, you can hold baby alligators. They just built a new facility there. Haven't been yet so I can't tell you how it is. It's free of course.

For some awesome boudin, continue west to Roanoke, to Petos. Get some smoked boudin. Oh my. Oh and cracklins!!!

Thank me later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
5,251 posts, read 2,526,004 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Definitely check out DI's. Great food. On the weekends, there's usually live bands. I'm not sure on what days, actually. But call them to make sure. Oh yeah, make sure you get there early. It gets busy!!!

Also, go check out The Regatta in Lake Arthur. Take I-10 West towards Lake Charles. You'll cross into Jefferson Davis Parish on a bridge over a bayou. When you get to Exit 64, exit. Take a left through Jennings. Continue south on Hwy 26 to Lake Arthur. In LA, take a right at the 2nd(?) red light to Main Street. Take left and go down a few blocks. Can't miss it. While there, there's a park to walk off that great food. There's lots of things to see in the area.

Oh yeah, in Jennings, at the I-10 Park, can't miss it, you can hold baby alligators. They just built a new facility there. Haven't been yet so I can't tell you how it is. It's free of course.

For some awesome boudin, continue west to Roanoke, to Petos. Get some smoked boudin. Oh my. Oh and cracklins!!!

Thank me later!
I'll thank you now!

Thank you!

We're flying to Hobby and renting a car. I'll be singing ". . . eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin, we gonna do what they say can't be done. We've got a long way to go (not really) and a short time to get there (well, it's all relative) . . ."

Will definitely stop at Peto's! Smoked boudin? I'm in.

Incidentally, my s/o is named Dean and he's a guitarist. FUNNY!
Fun fact: he's left-handed but plays a right-handed guitar.

I don't know if we'll make it to DIs. But if not this time, hopefully the next.

BABY ALLIGATORS??? OMG NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Dear god don't let me fall in love with an alligator.

Question--
Does Tiger Truck Stop still have the tiger in a cage in the parking lot of a gas station on the interstate? I hate that so much. Man, there are just certain things about Louisiana. Feel me? Nothin but love, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
5,251 posts, read 2,526,004 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Definitely check out DI's. Great food. On the weekends, there's usually live bands. I'm not sure on what days, actually. But call them to make sure. Oh yeah, make sure you get there early. It gets busy!!!

Also, go check out The Regatta in Lake Arthur. Take I-10 West towards Lake Charles. You'll cross into Jefferson Davis Parish on a bridge over a bayou. When you get to Exit 64, exit. Take a left through Jennings. Continue south on Hwy 26 to Lake Arthur. In LA, take a right at the 2nd(?) red light to Main Street. Take left and go down a few blocks. Can't miss it. While there, there's a park to walk off that great food. There's lots of things to see in the area.

Oh yeah, in Jennings, at the I-10 Park, can't miss it, you can hold baby alligators. They just built a new facility there. Haven't been yet so I can't tell you how it is. It's free of course.

For some awesome boudin, continue west to Roanoke, to Petos. Get some smoked boudin. Oh my. Oh and cracklins!!!

Thank me later!
I have noted the Regatta recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
5,251 posts, read 2,526,004 times
Reputation: 3360
T-shirt idea:

dear god don't let me fall in love with an alligator

[insert adorable baby alligator graphic]

copyright 2019 Jo Stanli Walston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM
 
856 posts, read 375,684 times
Reputation: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I'll thank you now!

Thank you!

We're flying to Hobby and renting a car. I'll be singing ". . . eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin, we gonna do what they say can't be done. We've got a long way to go (not really) and a short time to get there (well, it's all relative) . . ."

Will definitely stop at Peto's! Smoked boudin? I'm in.

Incidentally, my s/o is named Dean and he's a guitarist. FUNNY!
Fun fact: he's left-handed but plays a right-handed guitar.

I don't know if we'll make it to DIs. But if not this time, hopefully the next.

BABY ALLIGATORS??? OMG NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Dear god don't let me fall in love with an alligator.

Question--
Does Tiger Truck Stop still have the tiger in a cage in the parking lot of a gas station on the interstate? I hate that so much. Man, there are just certain things about Louisiana. Feel me? Nothin but love, tho.

Haha...I sang that in my head from Smokey and the bandit! Lol

Dean is the guitar brand I own (have 2) and I'm "endorsed", won't play anything else lol..

It's all good on DI's. My wife is still after me to take her. I guess I gotta bite the bullet and bring her! Lol

I'm in love with gators! Yum yum yum yum! Lol But they so cute when they're small! You can get gator bites at Bourbon Street Cafe, right off Exit 64 south of the interstate at the truck stop off on the right. King Buffet is good, next door too...lol

No, the tiger died. Last time we went through there, there was a camel in its place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
5,251 posts, read 2,526,004 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanguitarist View Post
no, the tiger died. Last time we went through there, there was a camel in its place.
rest in peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top