Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,762 times

Advertisements

Taking a serious look at Louisiana. It's really affordable! I'm from the gulf coast area (Gulfport, MS), but have lived on west coast all adult life. I'm thinking of moving back, but want to stay away from the hurricane and flooding areas. Area that's not ultra conservative is desirable as well. Live and let live, however, that can be a challenge sometimes in the south. Having said that, people tend to be very friendly, esp compared to Oregon!

Words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 AM

370 posts, read 446,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
... Area that's not ultra conservative is desirable as well. Live and let live, however, that can be a challenge sometimes in the south. Having said that, people tend to be very friendly, esp compared to Oregon!

Words of wisdom?

Studies have shown the conservative populations have lower crime rates than liberal regions. Mostly attributed to the higher concentration of people in liberal minded communities.

Shreveport has a high concentration of liberal voters and the area also boasts low house prices!

2016 Louisiana election map: Blue liberal and red conservative...

Quote:
The result is the 10 Murder Capitals of the Pelican State for 2019:
  1. New Orleans (Photos)
  2. Baton Rouge (Photos)
  3. Shreveport (Photos)
  4. Alexandria (Photos)
  5. Monroe (Photos)
  6. Plaquemine (Photos)
  7. Lafayette (Photos)
  8. Rayne (Photos)
  9. Opelousas (Photos)
  10. Zachary (Photos)
The city with highest murder rate in Louisiana? That would be Plaquemine with 44.6 murders per 100,000 people.
SOURCE: https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...-of-louisiana/

Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM

16 posts, read 13,413 times
Words of Wisdom?? my advice is not to attempt to re-create a social milieu that you found on the West Coast. that's a huge mistake. No sensible conservative Southerner would move to anywhere on the west coast, e.g. Oregon and expect to seek out conservative areas - we know better. My word of wisdom is to don't try to change the political and conservative milieu of Louisiana, just mind your own business. In the South now, we're growing tired of people moving from CA and NY and NJ, and their constant efforts to re-create or reproduce the social and political history and ideals from whence they came! I know we Southerners don't move to New Yawk and try to find a microcosm of Savannah, Montgomery, or Memphis. Stay put.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Taking a serious look at Louisiana. It's really affordable! I'm from the gulf coast area (Gulfport, MS), but have lived on west coast all adult life. I'm thinking of moving back, but want to stay away from the hurricane and flooding areas. Area that's not ultra conservative is desirable as well. Live and let live, however, that can be a challenge sometimes in the south. Having said that, people tend to be very friendly, esp compared to Oregon!

Words of wisdom?
Don't plan on bringing Portland to Louisiana. It won't be well received. Further everything floods in Louisiana now. Especially where liberals tend to congregate. And there are churches (not chicken) everywhere. Take a look New Jersey.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:53 AM

327 posts, read 602,374 times
Your liberal areas are going to be places with high concentrations of impoverished African Americans.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,178 times
You'll be hard pressed to find anything resembling the West Coast, even in New Orleans.

But, you can find pockets of more laid back, bohemian type vibe in New Orleans and around the gulf coast. Your best bets are the towns right on the coast like:
Bay St. Louis, MS
Ocean Springs, MS
Pensacola, FL

Old 07-12-2019, 03:37 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:

Words of wisdom?
I don't think what you are looking for exists in Louisiana. Areas with large black population are more Democrat but still not like the West Coast. The only really liberal area of Louisiana is New Orleans with Baton Rouge a bit more liberals than the rest of the state with the university and state capitol.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 PM

1,977 posts, read 966,533 times
Quote:

Words of wisdom?
Living in Louisiana and avoiding flooding and hurricanes is pretty much NOT possible. Those are the risks living here.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Unlike the areas of the west coast people of different social and political beliefs can live side by side and even be friends here in Louisiana.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:56 AM

16 posts, read 13,413 times
LOL...as I said, it's not a good idea to look to LA in order to find "liberal pockets" this is the SOUTH, with a wholly different mindset, history, religious background (lots of Catholics believe it or not), and a blend of different social mores, and even ethnicities (even native American, French, Spanish, Italian and numerous "blends"). We don't even like the west cost or even most of the people around New Yawk...we're neither, we're Lousiana! just like Texas....and what is happening in places like Austin is now bothered with all the new west coasters poisoning what Austin used to be. The same thing is happening to pockets in Florida as well with the nasty influx of people from "jersey", "new Yawk" and even CT now - they too are bringingnasty attitudes with them, and we are pushing back here in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana