U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 05:11 PM

14,461 posts, read 20,964,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Y’all sure know how to take the positiveness of the OP and flip it to doom and gloom. I too want to know what’s the move for but don’t listen to all the negativity. Southern Louisiana is fun place and and SLCC are great colleges and improving. What kinda job prospects are you hoping to have? Industry you looking to break into? That will let you know whether the area will be good to you for the future.

Despite the previous post about approaching people differently it’s wise to just be mindful period no matter where you are. I’ve not had an issue with crime since I’ve been here for 9 years. There is crime but mostly in certain areas that you probably won’t have a reason to be in. I’m not sure whether you’re just trying out a new place or looking for something more but don’t be discouraged.

Louisiana has a lot of problems and of course it’s experiencing some of the same economic woes as other places due to Covid 19. I would visit before making the jump. Unless you’re into politics I highly doubt an 18 year old is worried about political corruption... lol
It really is concerning to me that an 18 year old wants to leave Kentucky for Louisiana. Most people move for more opportunities and on from where I'm sitting, I can't imagine that there's many opportunities there for them. If they had a scholarship to UL or knew someone who could give them a job in a trade they want to do then it would make sense. We're just trying to help.

They don't have to care about why there's a poor job market but I'm sure everyone cares about their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 01:22 PM

871 posts, read 383,194 times
Hope you like hot as hell summers. The humidity here is bad. Last year I could have sworn I seen the devil drinking water, fanning himself under the tree.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 3,842,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieahboo View Post
I’m deciding too move (18) , I’m looking in the Lafayette area (possibly their community college) & would really like some suggestions (especially jobs ) , some advice (I’m going blindly to leave the nest of where I’m from which is Kentucky) but I gotta good feeling it’s a going to be the best thing ever . So enlighten me here . (I’ve saved by far a lot )
First, I wish you good luck with your move South. A lot of discouraging advice here, but take it with a grain of salt!
Many just don't fit in here, or had an experience that left them disillusioned. I moved from Chicago to Lafayette a long time ago (your age times two!) and did very well. It was a definite culture adjustment, but one that I loved. I met wonderful people and met my wife. Yes, Pinhook Road, North University, and the Thruway look about the same.

Moving so far from home by yourself can be scary and lonely at first, but you won't be the first!
In Lafayette great food and Acadian culture is a wonderful legacy. And yes the summers are as hot and muggy as can be.
Try not to visit in July/August!

Don't know whether you are a young man or woman, so won't dwell on fishing, hunting or working in general. Your choice of Lafayette must be based on something. I wish you the best, and would advise a road trip here if possible to scope things out.

We moved to Washington, DC for many years, returning for family visits several times a year. We decided to retire in Slidell, La., and have built a home there.

For sure, you'll see follow-ups to my post with criticism of me and my advice. I like the Gulf Coast, and Louisiana in particular because there isn't an influx of opinionated Yankees moving here and bringing their ideas with them! My buddies in Florida have seen this all too often.

People here are outgoing, love to party, cook great food, but dont want to hear how it's done up North.
Just my opinion of course.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2020, 11:29 PM

1,706 posts, read 823,368 times
Well dang! I have no dog in this fight but there's a way to warn somebody that there's danger ahead without telling OP to just not try. Maybe jobs are not the best but you don't know! You maybe talking to the next great restaurateur.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:57 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,964,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Well dang! I have no dog in this fight but there's a way to warn somebody that there's danger ahead without telling OP to just not try. Maybe jobs are not the best but you don't know! You maybe talking to the next great restaurateur.
Well they aren't helping by not responding to us lol.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM

361 posts, read 303,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post

Confucius Says:

"In Kentucky."

Old 05-24-2020, 09:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 4,692,923 times
Don't do it. At least not w/o researching the area a LOT. What to research:

Cost of homeowner's insurance (doesn't cover flooding, which is separate ins.)
Cost of auto insurance & what cos. sell it (the co. I wanted doesn't sell ins. in La.)
Sales taxes (you have to pay on big purchases, too, and on your car when you register it)
Cost of homes (Laf. housing is pricey compared to a lot of places)
Rent
Temperature and humidity in both seasons, summer & fall (there is no winter)
Do you like bugs, esp large mosquitos & swarming termites?
How far you'll have to travel, when you evacuate.
How much cash you'll need on hand for a fast evacuation (plastic may not work)
How far your vehicle can go on a tank of gas, since you may not be able to fill up during a disaster.
Crime rate
Will there be a large enough demographic group like you, for you to make friends?
Does the area provide the activities that you like to do? (fishing, boating, jogging, gyms, skateboarding)
Unemployment rate at different times (good times, and during recessions)
Does the area have an active temp or contract work group, for you to use should you lose your job?
Water quality (water reports are on the internet)
Air quality (this is an oil & gas state)
Is music a big part of your life? Lafayette is known for a number of venues for great music.
The terrain is flat, unlike many areas in the U.S. It's built on a plains area. Make sure you're o.k. w/that.
Check for flooding history, wherever you live. (the flood zone is marked on maps on internet & I think in appraisal district sites)

Why are you leaving Kentucky? Economy?

Old 05-27-2020, 06:47 PM

2,050 posts, read 4,731,321 times
Lafayette is a gem in South Louisiana! Lots to see and do around here and the food is always amazing. If I have any real complaints its that it is becoming a bit over gentrified and definitely hipster.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 PM

2,050 posts, read 4,731,321 times
Quote:
What makes it so poor ???
I guess having trampoline parks, indoor sports entertainment, virtual reality, go kart track, cable operated skiing , and rock wall climbing makes it poor?:

Old 05-28-2020, 12:45 AM

8,703 posts, read 13,124,724 times
Quote:
I’m deciding too move (18) , I’m looking in the Lafayette area (possibly their community college) & would really like some suggestions (especially jobs ) , some advice (I’m going blindly to leave the nest of where I’m from which is Kentucky) but I gotta good feeling it’s a going to be the best thing ever . So enlighten me here . (I’ve saved by far a lot )
I am a native of Louisiana whose also lived many years in Appalachia. I'm curious why Lafayette specifically. It's not a bad place and is culturally unique being in the heart of Cajun country.

As for Louisiana crime, one thing IS true is that even smaller cities can feel very rough sometimes. Alexandria, whose metro area is about half the size of the Ashland-Huntington-Ironton Tristate area, has a larger number of thugs and gangbangers compared to small and midsized Kentucky cities. IN fact I do think that Alexandria-Pineville in some ways physically resembles Ashland, Huntington WV, or Charleston WV. One thing that may shock you too, there are rural areas in Louisiana that physically look like a more flat version of Pikesville or Paintsville but are filled with people who to you might look like they belong on the streets of Chicago or Detroit.

That said being a native of this state I know a LOT of very nice, safe, both rural and suburban areas. I personally live east of Baton Rouge in Livingston Parish and there's not much violent crime here and I feel as safe as when I lived in West Virginia. This area is a good mix of suburban and rural. For some reason I assume you're from rural Kentucky and the part of that state I'm most familiar with is Pikeville and Paintsville. If you want to stick to the rural lifestyle, you can go 20-30 min outside Baton Rouge to Livingston Parish or the Felicianas and be surrounded by friendly laid back people who like hunting, fishing, shooting guns, boating etc though the parts of Livingston closer to Baton Rouge have more suburban people who wish they were more country but nothing really wrong with that.

If you want a more urban experience but not too crazy, I'd probably recommend Baton Rouge over Lafayette. The job market in Baton Rouge is better and there are lots of jobs in the oil industry and the plants. This being said the same forces responsible for the War on Coal in Kentucky is threatening our oil and gas industry so we do worry about the future sometimes, but Baton Rouge still has a more diverse economy than Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or