U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 12:51 AM

8,703 posts, read 13,124,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieahboo View Post
I’m deciding too move (18) , I’m looking in the Lafayette area (possibly their community college) & would really like some suggestions (especially jobs ) , some advice (I’m going blindly to leave the nest of where I’m from which is Kentucky) but I gotta good feeling it’s a going to be the best thing ever . So enlighten me here . (I’ve saved by far a lot )
North Louisiana is the part of the state most culturally similar to Kentucky. The more rural portions of the Northshore and the Felicianas as well. But Lafayette IS the best place to experience the media's image of French Louisiana though, and the surrounding area is very beautiful with swamps and bayous. So if you're just coming down for an adventure and not settling down for good Lafayette is a cool place. The city itself looks kind of gritty but there is good nightlife and excellent food, and good swamp tours nearby. There are also lots of very classic historical towns like Breaux Bridge that are very pleasant and well preserved. Compared to Kentucky (I know Ashland was a dry city when I was there and they still may be) the culture in Cajun country is more permissive with drinking and gambling so that may take getting used to but most of Louisiana is filled with welcoming hardworking people much like Kentucky. As you might expect, more Southern hospitality and easier to meet new friends in the smaller cities/towns than larger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 12:21 PM

459 posts, read 230,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieahboo View Post
I’m deciding too move (18) , I’m looking in the Lafayette area (possibly their community college) & would really like some suggestions (especially jobs ) , some advice (I’m going blindly to leave the nest of where I’m from which is Kentucky) but I gotta good feeling it’s a going to be the best thing ever . So enlighten me here . (I’ve saved by far a lot )
Definitely visit south Louisiana if you can. That will tell if you like it or not.

Lafayette is a small city. It has a lot of jobs in healthcare and some oilfield services. What field do you plan on trying to get a job in?

Climate wise, it's very hot and humid here from May thru November. I know it's hot during the summer time in Kentucky, but it is worse here. I grew up in Pennsylvania. There is no such season as "winter" in south Louisiana.

A positive about Lafayette is it has a lot of great night life, the University of Louisiana-Lafayette is there, they have an airport, close to the Gulf, there are historical and cool sites to see also.

Like others have said, Louisiana is a poor state. Lots of crime. The sales tax is among the highest burden in the country. Property taxes are low, and as a result, the public schools are terrible. There are also no teacher's unions because Louisiana is a right-to-work state. Income taxes are moderate up to $50,000 on earnings, when the taxes are 6% on any amount higher. The infrastructure is also not great, but there have been projects to upgrade the interstates.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:43 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,064,735 times
Thankfully there were some positive posts.

I'm retired but when I researched states to visit and possibly relocate to, Louisiana was at the top of my list. There were so many negative posts, it dropped to zero.

I ended up moving to Arizona but have decided to travel and explore the United States as I have seen so little of it. I'm currently back in Minnesota for the summer visiting family and won't be on the road until fall.

BUT, if there hadn't been such negativity, I may have visited your beautiful state sooner. I really do want to try cajun cuisine and Louisiana is known for that.

A person at age 18 should be encouraged to explore, travel and develop a love for different cultures, not discouraged from doing that. At 18, there are so many different options. If you go somewhere and find out it's not the right place for you, go somewhere else.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:08 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,964,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I'm retired but when I researched states to visit and possibly relocate to, Louisiana was at the top of my list. There were so many negative posts, it dropped to zero.

I ended up moving to Arizona but have decided to travel and explore the United States as I have seen so little of it. I'm currently back in Minnesota for the summer visiting family and won't be on the road until fall.

BUT, if there hadn't been such negativity, I may have visited your beautiful state sooner. I really do want to try cajun cuisine and Louisiana is known for that.

A person at age 18 should be encouraged to explore, travel and develop a love for different cultures, not discouraged from doing that. At 18, there are so many different options. If you go somewhere and find out it's not the right place for you, go somewhere else.
We grew up in Louisiana and know all the ins and outs. It loses its younger population for a reason. It really makes little sense for a teenager to move to one of the poorest states in the country for little or no reason at all.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 AM

459 posts, read 230,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

My advice is, when all this coronavirus settles down, come visit the state, experience Cajun culture and cuisine, then see if you like it.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:05 PM

432 posts, read 974,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
My advice is, when all this coronavirus settles down, come visit the state, experience Cajun culture and cuisine, then see if you like it.

Good advice. Here's a recent 34 minute documentary on the Cajun/Creole culture. While the focus is on Lafayette, I think it well describes the Acadiana area as a whole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 07-09-2020, 07:49 PM

294 posts, read 290,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We grew up in Louisiana and know all the ins and outs. It loses its younger population for a reason. It really makes little sense for a teenager to move to one of the poorest states in the country for little or no reason at all.
In order for the Louisiana to change it’s going to have to attract people with a new mindset but if people discourage them from finding out on their own whether they want to give the place a try then it will never improve. I think that’s what they’re saying. This place has a lot of problems but I do want it to get better as it is home. I hate it always being at the bottom. So I’m on the side of encouraging new minds to come and decide if they want to stay or not. 18 is very young. They have time to figure things out, make mistakes, and grow. Despite its problems there are people who grow to love it for whatever reason and do well here. Hopefully it gets better but it won’t if we don’t get new ways of thinking here.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:53 AM

2,050 posts, read 4,731,321 times
"This place has some problems and doesnt seem to change, so move to X overcrowded state with a whole list of different problems"

The huge issue with this mode of thinking is that you end up in a state that already has too many people and also not giving a struggling or lagging state a chance means that state will never get the bright minds it needs to climb up! Its a never ending cycle that keeps states like Louisiana mired in poverty while other states have a wealth of opportunities but also cost a fortune to live in.

Another thing is that Lafayette does have a fiber network that rivals the best anywhere in the country, so remote working from home makes absolute sense here, which is pretty relevant right now. huge buildings and corporate settings that gave cities pulling power are increasingly less relevant than they used to be. It is an interesting time and hopefully Louisiana can leverage some of that opportunity.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
In order for the Louisiana to change it’s going to have to attract people with a new mindset but if people discourage them from finding out on their own whether they want to give the place a try then it will never improve. I think that’s what they’re saying. This place has a lot of problems but I do want it to get better as it is home. I hate it always being at the bottom. So I’m on the side of encouraging new minds to come and decide if they want to stay or not. 18 is very young. They have time to figure things out, make mistakes, and grow. Despite its problems there are people who grow to love it for whatever reason and do well here. Hopefully it gets better but it won’t if we don’t get new ways of thinking here.
I don't think Louisiana needs to attract different people to improve it. That's what causes alot of the issues that come with growth. There's enough talent and resources in the state to educate younger people and build a better state but we refuse to use those resources wisely.

I'm just projecting myself onto him I guess, leaving at 18 was good for me.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
"This place has some problems and doesnt seem to change, so move to X overcrowded state with a whole list of different problems"

The huge issue with this mode of thinking is that you end up in a state that already has too many people and also not giving a struggling or lagging state a chance means that state will never get the bright minds it needs to climb up! Its a never ending cycle that keeps states like Louisiana mired in poverty while other states have a wealth of opportunities but also cost a fortune to live in.

Another thing is that Lafayette does have a fiber network that rivals the best anywhere in the country, so remote working from home makes absolute sense here, which is pretty relevant right now. huge buildings and corporate settings that gave cities pulling power are increasingly less relevant than they used to be. It is an interesting time and hopefully Louisiana can leverage some of that opportunity.
Every state has problems but some states fit people better.
What state has too many people? It's not like any city in the US cannot accept more people.
What if those states don't have the necessary amenities for that to occur? Bright minds don't want to work at restaurants and bars in New Orleans waiting on the economy to change. Bright minds don't want to work offshore to save up for their business.
Louisiana needs to shift itself to a 21st century economy, invest in public transit, education, healthcare, economic diversity, public infrastructure, etc. It's not realistic to expect bright minds to move to Baton Rouge or Lafayette over a plethora of cheap cities with a higher QOL.

Louisiana has too many options to remain in poverty but yet chooses to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or