Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times

Advertisements

BTW I found this KPLC Hot Topic: School Uniforms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 84,406 times
Not every rural area has mandatory uniforms. In our area, before the uniforms were adopted for our kids, they were voted on by the parents as to whether or not we wanted them. I don't think so many parents really thought about the cost of uniforms in addition to having to buy other clothes for say, church or weekends, because there has been a bit of a fuss come up over it, and even editorials in our paper from local parents who are having fits wanting the uniform decision reversed.

As for buying uniforms, of course there are free uniform and school supplies programs, but local stores like Walmart and even the dollar stores carry uniform clothes for those shopping on a budget. I personally like the kids having uniforms - not for the look, or because of the peer pressure thing, but it makes shopping for school much easier.

About the highschool thing and uniforms... It depends on where you are, the individual school district and whether or not you are in a consolidated school. We are in a consolidated school - grades K-12 - and so our kids wear uniforms even in high school. If in doubt you can contact the school where your kid will go, or call the school board office to find out details.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,133 times
I think thats bull crud. Here in LA I find I have more peer preasure with the uniform than when I wa sin a different area without the uniform.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
That's what I've heard. If all of the kids wear the same clothes, then the alledged peer pressure isn't there for those who cannot afford expensive things. I've seen this in the islands and it works there. The only problem, the school uniforms aren't cheap!
Many districts overcome the expense of the uniforms by holding successful uniform drives, in which better-off families donate their children's still usable but outgrown uniforms. A few really generous people will go out and buy brand new uniforms to donate.

BTW...I love Maine so much!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
from what i've heard it still does not alleviate peer pressure. the 'uniform' is just a solid polo with slacks. kids will still judge by the brand, the ones who get their polos from hollister still think themselves better then the ones who get theirs from wal mart and etc.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityyyyy View Post
from what i've heard it still does not alleviate peer pressure. the 'uniform' is just a solid polo with slacks. kids will still judge by the brand, the ones who get their polos from hollister still think themselves better then the ones who get theirs from wal mart and etc.
Lots of schools require that shirts be a certain brand and many even have to have the school emblem on them. Also, many schools have been mandating that the pants can only be a certain brand (Dockers, for example) and they will direct you to a store that carries that brand.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
It also makes a student intruder who does not belong there stick out like a sore thumb.
It also keeps gang members or gang wanna be's from wearing their colors ( High school)

and yes...all the kids are equal no one wearing $75 jeans and one wearing $12.99 Walmart jeans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: