Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 29,254 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are very possibly moving to Lake Charles this summer and are wondering if it is worth it to ship my husband's car there or not. He has a Ford Focus, which is great, but not so great if roads get flooded during big storms etc. So my question is: is flooding really a problem when it comes to driving and picking a type of car? Will we end up buying a truck or suv in a matter of weeks anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 02:21 PM

370 posts, read 446,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celinetmika View Post
Hi! We are very possibly moving to Lake Charles this summer and are wondering if it is worth it to ship my husband's car there or not. He has a Ford Focus, which is great, but not so great if roads get flooded during big storms etc. So my question is: is flooding really a problem when it comes to driving and picking a type of car? Will we end up buying a truck or suv in a matter of weeks anyway?

Many people in Lake Charles drive cars like the Ford Focus.

Flooding is predictable in occurrence and people tend to park vehicles with low ground clearance on high ground if they know a strong storm is coming. Additionally, you have plenty of time to leave an area that has risk of flooding. Lake Charles does not have FLASH FLOODS.

No need to buy a used car or truck until the wheels have fallen off the Ford!

Old 06-04-2020, 10:05 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Don't recall Lake Charles ever having flooded streets like Lacombe or Slidell. Could be wrong.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:45 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
I drive a small car fairly low to the ground. I have never had an issue about flooding it or having it damaged by flood water. I have lived in LC for over 5 years.

If you stay on the roads that are higher and don't flood badly, you will be fine. So, it's good to ask the locals and drive around to see where the low points and low lying neighborhoods are. Downtown floods pretty badly when there is a lot of rain over a short period of time. Pretty much no matter the road, there is always going to be standing water in the right half of the right-hand lane.

Also understand, that just because it rains, that does not mean there will be any flooding. Flashing flooding in the area occurs, as I pointed out above, when there is a large amount of rain that falls in a short period of time. When there is steady rain, flooding is typically not a problem. Because the water levels have time to recede. Now if we're talking about a hurricane hitting, then flooding is probably going to occur.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:15 PM

13 posts, read 29,254 times
Thank you so much for your replies! It is much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
North-south stick to the center lanes of Ryan Street. Avoid Lake Street from the lake to Sallier, it floods. Enterprise Blvd floods in spots. Common Street is higher and usually doesn't flood.

East-West Prien Lake Road and Broad Street don't flood. Or just take I-210 since it's elevated. Avoid Sale Street it floods often. McNeese St is high and dry the whole way, just stay in the middle lane as it's higher. The worst flooding occurs on Lake Street right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2163...7i13312!8i6656

The water will be 1-2 ft in spots here with a regular thunderstorm.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:08 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
North-south stick to the center lanes of Ryan Street. Avoid Lake Street from the lake to Sallier, it floods. Enterprise Blvd floods in spots. Common Street is higher and usually doesn't flood.

East-West Prien Lake Road and Broad Street don't flood. Or just take I-210 since it's elevated. Avoid Sale Street it floods often. McNeese St is high and dry the whole way, just stay in the middle lane as it's higher. The worst flooding occurs on Lake Street right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2163...7i13312!8i6656

The water will be 1-2 ft in spots here with a regular thunderstorm.
Nelson Road is pretty high. I've never seen it flood, except the right part of the right-hand lanes. I've never tried Ryan, Common or Louisiana Avenue.

Lake Street pretty much floods on all parts. It's also real bad near Shell Beach Drive to Sallier. W/E Prien Lake Road does get bad during heavy rains.

The good news is the interstates have never flooded in my experience. Same with the bridges. They are all high ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana