U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2020, 07:44 PM
 
5,400 posts, read 2,141,344 times
Reputation: 4169

Advertisements

I'll continue to stay out of 80 in that case.

I drive cross country pretty often, sometimes as often as 4 times a month between Austin and Atlanta which is just shy of 1,000 miles one way and aprox 16 hours with all fuel / food stops accounted for. Louisiana is the only state I notice any presence of law enforcement. Sometimes Mississippi too. So far no tickets on my record but this is a long as heck drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2020, 09:25 PM
 
462 posts, read 240,318 times
Reputation: 346
Does 10 miles more an hour really make a difference? I would think in the long run, it does not. You will be paying for it more with faster fuel burn, faster wearing on your tires, etc. My view is those costs aren't worth it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2020, 11:53 AM
 
Location: HSV
326 posts, read 421,241 times
Reputation: 286
Most speed limits are not based on engineering studies that use the 85% percentile rule (the speed at which 85% or drivers are driving would dictate the speed limit for that area).

Even if the speed limit is 70 for an area of rural interstate, the 85% percentile speed is probably 75-80.

Drive 70 and chances are you are creating the hazard for most drivers (especially if you drive in the left lane).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2020, 04:33 PM
 
5,400 posts, read 2,141,344 times
Reputation: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Does 10 miles more an hour really make a difference? I would think in the long run, it does not. You will be paying for it more with faster fuel burn, faster wearing on your tires, etc. My view is those costs aren't worth it.
Not trying to get obsessively technical but yeah it does.

It saves about 1.5 Hours as a whole.

1,000 miles / 70 MPH = 14.2 Hrs

1,000 miles / 80 MPH = 12.5 Hrs

Or basically almost 2 hours. When considering the longevity of the road trip and limited stamina - every minute saved counts.

As far as fuel? It only costs about $150 one way (before Covid-19 tanked fuel prices) in a vehicle that requires premium at aprox 30 MPG. I only turn 1.6k RPMs at 80 so the car is barely running at that speed. I actually get better fuel mileage at 80 than 60 or 70 due to more distance covered for the relative same amount of fuel spent. I usually only have to fill up twice for that trip. Once just east of Shreveport, and the other just outside of Birmingham AL with usually about 3/4ths a tank left in Atlanta.

I won't do 80 though. I was mainly asking because I notice alot of people on both I-10 and I-20 doing it and was wondering how highway patrol reacted to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 PM
 
5,400 posts, read 2,141,344 times
Reputation: 4169
Off topic but I have another question.

What is the deal with that Bear warning sign with the flashing amber light aproximately 10 - 20 miles into the state on I-20 WB when entering from Mississippi? I didn't know you guys had bear problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 11:04 AM
 
462 posts, read 240,318 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not trying to get obsessively technical but yeah it does.

It saves about 1.5 Hours as a whole.

1,000 miles / 70 MPH = 14.2 Hrs

1,000 miles / 80 MPH = 12.5 Hrs

Or basically almost 2 hours. When considering the longevity of the road trip and limited stamina - every minute saved counts.

As far as fuel? It only costs about $150 one way (before Covid-19 tanked fuel prices) in a vehicle that requires premium at aprox 30 MPG. I only turn 1.6k RPMs at 80 so the car is barely running at that speed. I actually get better fuel mileage at 80 than 60 or 70 due to more distance covered for the relative same amount of fuel spent. I usually only have to fill up twice for that trip. Once just east of Shreveport, and the other just outside of Birmingham AL with usually about 3/4ths a tank left in Atlanta.

I won't do 80 though. I was mainly asking because I notice alot of people on both I-10 and I-20 doing it and was wondering how highway patrol reacted to it.
Okay well that is a good breakdown. Thanks. What is wrong with driving the speed limit? In most southern states it is 70 mph.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 02:29 PM
 
5,400 posts, read 2,141,344 times
Reputation: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Okay well that is a good breakdown. Thanks. What is wrong with driving the speed limit? In most southern states it is 70 mph.
Mainly because on long open stretches where I'm not really commuting in an urban area but on a empty rural straight flat road with no chance of exiting it within the near future, it starts to play on my fatigue. I basically have to keep my mind wandering and busy or I will get drowsy, that or if I'm wide awoke and fresh I end up getting very antsy / jittery.

When I do 80 and it feels like I'm moving, it tends to allow me to retain more concentration on the road which in turn keeps me focused.

There was actually a study on something like this, although not as extreme - but in Montana before they imposed speed limits you were able to drive at whatever was reasonable according to the flow of traffic or weather conditions. After they imposed them they found that their accident rates actually increased rather than decreased and found it to be because people were becoming fatigued on the highway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 08:28 PM
 
9,486 posts, read 5,797,956 times
Reputation: 9675
with today traffic, you be lucky to get up to 55 without having to stop for something
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 AM
 
908 posts, read 396,769 times
Reputation: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Off topic but I have another question.

What is the deal with that Bear warning sign with the flashing amber light aproximately 10 - 20 miles into the state on I-20 WB when entering from Mississippi? I didn't know you guys had bear problems.
Yes...


Further east and north of my current location. Some bears made their way into some of the towns. One just recently had to be euthanized in St.Martin(?) Parish. They're protected by the state. Quite sure the numbers of bears are low. With the size of the Atchafalaya basin and the forested regions, I could be wrong about the numbers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2020, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,588 posts, read 21,168,752 times
Reputation: 9573
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Okay well that is a good breakdown. Thanks. What is wrong with driving the speed limit? In most southern states it is 70 mph.
Many of our speed limits make little sense are are in place to appease the part of human nature that thinks punishing acts prevents said acts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top