Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 07:05 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times

Advertisements

It's Nack o tish, not dish. And I'm sorry, if your mom was from the Shreveport area, she's not Cajun. To be Cajun, you have to have lived, born and raised, in the southern part of the state, between Lake Charles and West Baton Rouge, from the coast to a little south of Alexandria. Ville Platte, Mamou, Kaplan, Lafayette....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
It's Nack o tish, not dish. And I'm sorry, if your mom was from the Shreveport area, she's not Cajun. To be Cajun, you have to have lived, born and raised, in the southern part of the state, between Lake Charles and West Baton Rouge, from the coast to a little south of Alexandria. Ville Platte, Mamou, Kaplan, Lafayette....
If both parents are Cajun, a Cajun can be born and raised in Shreveport, or anywhere else for that matter. Just because they aren't born and raised in the heart of Cajun country doesn't make them less Cajun, as far as their ancestry goes. They may not have grown up in the Cajun culture, but they're still Cajun.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:58 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If both parents are Cajun, a Cajun can be born and raised in Shreveport, or anywhere else for that matter. Just because they aren't born and raised in the heart of Cajun country doesn't make them less Cajun, as far as their ancestry goes. They may not have grown up in the Cajun culture, but they're still Cajun.
This is true when it comes to Cajun ancestry but only South Louisiana (not including New Orleans) is culturally Cajun or Acadian.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I've always been curious about how Acadiana is defined to include Ascension Parish and West Baton Rouge Parish. I know quite a few people in Ascension Parish like Prairieville have Cajun French surnames, but the overall culture there doesn't feel as Cajun as the Lafayette area. Port Allen also doesn't feel especially Cajun.

But Cajun food is definitely widespread throughout South and Central Louisiana even in areas outside Acadiana like Livingston Parish, Hammond, Covington, etc.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Historically, Shreveport is not a Cajun city or culture area. But through the years, Cajuns have migrated up there and many have stayed. We would consider them Cajun.

As for the pronunciation of Natchitoches, the truly correct pronunciation is Nack uh tish. However in daily living and talking, people say Nack uh dish. You're talking southern style speech. I have even rarely heard some refer to it simply as "nack"

Old 10-29-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Historically, Shreveport is not a Cajun city or culture area. But through the years, Cajuns have migrated up there and many have stayed. We would consider them Cajun.

As for the pronunciation of Natchitoches, the truly correct pronunciation is Nack uh tish. However in daily living and talking, people say Nack uh dish. You're talking southern style speech. I have even rarely heard some refer to it simply as "nack"
I've never been to North Louisiana, only Central Louisiana up to Pineville, and there is still a Cajun influence there. At the same time, larger numbers of non-Cajuns now live in historically Cajun areas like Lafayette and Lake Charles. Ascension Parish, technically part of Acadiana, also has a lot of non-Cajun influences.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:46 PM

370 posts, read 446,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I always thought it was nack-a-tish, not nack-a-dish (I live in the Houston metro, and I've been there).

According to tourlouisiana.com, it is nack-a-tish:

https://www.tourlouisiana.com/details_pdf.cfm?FURL=4

........unless your typing dish has something to do with meat pies .

It that case, that would probably be an insider/local reference that I don't know about.

I miss those meatpies!

Our local shops closed after Hurricane Laura.

Last edited by Yac; 01-30-2022 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-22-2022, 09:09 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Let's not act like ghetto culture or the term "thug" isn't synonymous with black people. There are mountains in West Virginia with their peaks removed, I don't think government deregulations will make coal reappear in the mines. It will increase the already alarming rate of pollution those poor people suffer from, due to deregulated corporations maximizing profit at the expense of West Virginians.

This part you have correct, its poverty which drives crime. Not culture. There is no such thing as a failing school system. Schools are merely buildings where people go, if the student body is poor, they have MUCH less access to things as simple as tutors. Suburban students in Covington have more money and access to better educational opportunities. I can assure you Dutchtown high is not an impressive educational experience just because the grades are decent.

Its not the ghetto element, you can't even define what that is. Its poverty, lack of jobs, poor educational opportunities, crumbling infrastructure, pollution, our diminishing coastline, etc.
There are always nice parts of a state, parts of the Dominican Republic don't feel poor either. The only way to improve the situation is to bring jobs and opportunities for everyone. Nothing to do with "culture." Every situation in this country is due to policy and laws which have put us in this situation.
I agree. Many of these comments do come across as racist to those of us who live or have lived in Louisiana. FWIW, I’m not a fan of Livingston parish. Relative to St. Tammany parish, Livingston is impoverished.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:02 PM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
I have always like the culture and overall vibe of Southern Louisiana, especially New Orleans. Unfortunately, the jobs in my field pay very low there so I never moved there.

Ascension and St. Tammy Parishes outside NOLA seem to be very nice if you do not want to live in the city.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
i am also miss this location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana