Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM

450 posts, read 2,058,172 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen anything on this one yet. I just got back fromToledo Bend area and the big talk was that the boys and girls in Baton Rouge had voted themselves a 300% pay raise, including automatic cost of living hikes per diem.

People were really upset about it and mad at Governor Jindal who would not veto the pay hike for fear the legislature would not vote for his coming reform measures.

I hope this does not hurt the new Governor. Any opinions on all of this? The legislators are supposed to be part-time, afterall. So I think they have voted themselves too much money. I understand they make about $20K now, but it is not their full-time job.

The legislators said they wanted to attract better people with more money. But that could mean professional politicians and not better people. Plus the automatic CPI hikes on a larger salary really mount up. Pensions are also being sweetened. Not sure why part-timers should even get a pension.

Most people around Toledo Bend are wondering how to pay for their gas. Looks like the legislators won't have that problem.

I can hear someone say that their lower pay is now supplemented by taking favors from special interests and a higher pay scale would stop this. I have heard that argument before. Folks simply get more greedy and not less for the most part.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Is it the beginning of the end for the new Governor?

Last edited by Kurt; 06-13-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 PM

3,079 posts, read 8,031,966 times
I agree along with 1000's of other La'ns, this is a total outrage!! If Bobby doesn't veto this he can kiss me goodbye. The legislators are really playing some strange games this year.

Listening to a talk show yesterday, the emails and phone calls were astronomical from irate citizens over this. As I have said before, we voters have the power to fire these incomps- we just don't use it or seem to care enough.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM

3,079 posts, read 8,031,966 times
Default Kurt

You talking about what someone may say -that higher salaries will slow or stop the "donation" taking. LOL You know as well as I that there is absolutely no end to GREED. It should be classified as a mental illness.LOL

Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 PM

794 posts, read 3,360,660 times
This has been a huge topic this week. It won't be over until the final bill is passed and signed by the governor. I'd like nothing more than the legislature to pass a bill and then Jindal vetoes it. That would be great. But who knows what's really going on behind the scenes (i.e. Jindal agrees to sign their pay raises for a little help getting his ethics package through.) If that is the case, it will appear very hypocritical to me. This state hasn't changed one bit.
Noone gets a 300% pay raise (or 200% possibly now since the House passed a revised version of the bill). And to link their future pay to the raises given to the US Congress is just ridiculous. We have too many freshmen lawmakers in the capitol now. What have they done to deserve any raise?
After reading several opinions in the Advocate, I agree that maybe their raises should be linked to the advancement of this state. If the state moves up in ranking for any socio-economical quality of life standard such as education, healthcare, crime, poverty, etc, then we can talk about raises, because then I'd be more than willing to see them get a pay raise. But not before then.
It's also funny how they just cut funding to special healthcare and education programs, and all of a sudden near the end of the session they vote themselves a payraise.
Once again, Louisiana is the laughing stock of the country.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 32,393 times
We have only recently moved here, so I am not totally familiar with LA law. In MS, however, the governor could let a bill sit on his desk and become a law without him having to sign it. That was to kinda keep his critics at bay for those bills that he really wanted see passed, but wasn't willing to be attached to publicly. Is it the same here, or totally different?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM

25 posts, read 94,953 times
Welcome to Louisiana. In case you were unaware, we are corrupt.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 AM

794 posts, read 3,360,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans1120 View Post
We have only recently moved here, so I am not totally familiar with LA law. In MS, however, the governor could let a bill sit on his desk and become a law without him having to sign it. That was to kinda keep his critics at bay for those bills that he really wanted see passed, but wasn't willing to be attached to publicly. Is it the same here, or totally different?
It's the same here. And Bobby is getting really good at it. He's been governor for all of what, six months?

Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,332,149 times
oooh 20k! those legislators are REALLY rollin in the dough now. Seriously people, go complain about something worthwhile. People getting irate over this are just looking for things to complain about. Its way to early to call Jindal corrupt or bad or anything like that, especially in comparison to his horrible successors. the fact that he cares at all about Louisiana says a lot about how he is different.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM

450 posts, read 2,058,172 times
Default Public service, part-time, and perks in place.

I have no objection to giving the legislators a pay increase more in line with other states the size of Louisiana. But the 300% raise is too much. People who run for the state house are already professionals making a good salary and they can take time off of their regular work--in other words they are their own boss and usually owning their own business--to do public service. They have a generous expense account on top of the legislator pay. If they have no other source of income they should not be running for a political post. Legislators are supposed to be successful people who have proved their leadership abilities and willing to do part-time public service for a modest fee.

I have certainly not given up on the Governor. I wish him all the best.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,012,653 times
To be fair, I considered the raise to be somewhat reasonable when I learned that there has not been a raise since 1980. Then I started thinking about how the numbers look. I went to the state website where apparently the number of days spent in regular session varies from year to year and is just too weird to pin down, (Louisiana State Legislature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So at this point I took the maximum days they could work and divided it by the pay and it worked out to approx. $40 a day. Then again I know these people don't even begin to work the max number of sessions so I went back and thought this through on another angle.

I'm now thinking that it now comes down to this: In 2004 the avg. income of an avg. Louisiana resident was $35,523, (Income 2004 - Three-Year-Average Median Household Income by State: 2001-2004 (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/income04/statemhi.html - broken link)). If this is a part time job, why should our legislature earn $37,500 a year, which would be technically twice what the Average Joe makes working full time in one year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana