Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM

44 posts, read 198,069 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from Chicago, and Im not used to this.... In the worst case scenario, I will get stuck at work, and my boyfriend will have to be responsible for my two large dogs and two cats... He has no idea what to do, and honestly, I have no idea... where should I even tell him to go? I am completely running out of money.. I dont even know what I can get together as far as money goes..
I hope this thing just dies in the water somewhere.. as unlikely as that sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronilla View Post
I just moved here from Chicago, and Im not used to this.... In the worst case scenario, I will get stuck at work, and my boyfriend will have to be responsible for my two large dogs and two cats... He has no idea what to do, and honestly, I have no idea... where should I even tell him to go? I am completely running out of money.. I dont even know what I can get together as far as money goes..
I hope this thing just dies in the water somewhere.. as unlikely as that sounds.
Continue to listen to weather reports. Have a full tank of gas in your car. If the storm continues to strengthen (if greater than a category 1 storm) and landfall is predicted to be in the New Orleans area or close to it, leave the city with your boyfriend and your cats and dogs. Drive inland to get away from the storm surge and the highest winds. No one knows if the levees that were repaired after Hurricane Katrina will hold. Don't wait until the last minute as you will get caught in bumper to bumper traffic leaving the city and may have trouble finding a hotel room. I believe I heard that landfall was expected by Monday.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the tips.... so should I go northeast to MS, to northern LA, toward baton rouge, or west? That's what confuses me...How far north would I have to go? Something like Jackson or Shreveport?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips.... so should I go northeast to MS, to northern LA, toward baton rouge, or west? That's what confuses me...How far north would I have to go? Something like Jackson or Shreveport?
You'll probably be safe in Baton Rouge or Jackson, MS. Those cities are far enough inland to be away from the storm surge and the highest winds. Keep in mind that thousands of other people from the New Orleans area will be heading for those 2 cities to excape the storm, especially if it strengthens to a category 2-5 storm. If the storm is still predicted to hit the New Orleans area on Monday and is greater than a category 1, I would leave by Saturday morning, otherwise, you will never find an available hotel room in Baton Rouge or Jackson. If the storm is greater than a category 2, you might consider driving even further inland to Alexandria, LA. That would be about a 3 hour drive in normal traffic. You may also want to consider making a hotel reservation now. If the storm weakens or goes elsewhere, you can always cancel your reservation. Be sure to pack enough clothes to last at least one week, medicines, important papers, and valuables. I'm a Louisiana native and former resident and have been through several hurricanes, so I understand your concerns. Good luck. I pray that the storm goes elsewhere.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times
Petronilla, unless you are a first responder you should not be at work if this storm hits. I have a niece who stayed at work for Katrina and to her dying day she'll deal with what happened to her. If your employer demands that you stay, ask yourself if the job, which may not exsist after the storm, is worth your sanity or life.

At the very least take all of your papers, bills, birth certificates, insurances etc., photos, sentimental/treasured objects, address book, a local phone book, pet supplies (bowls, food, litter and pan, leashes, kennels, tags, shot records), medications, as much clothing as you can carry (including winter items), and toiletries. Get as much cash together as possible, credit/debt cards were no good here when we returned.

A good tip is to get a hurricane credit card. It's just for hurricane season to use for hotels, supplies etc. It comes in really handy and is kept at a zero balance. We've lived from pay check to pay check and the card is awsome security so that we don't have to freak out too much when there is almost nothing in the bank. We freak out later paying it down again

The east/west thing is always a gamble but once you're above Baton Rouge you'll be reasonably okay. I'm not sure if you are looking for a hotel or a shelter, but if it's a hotel rest assured you're going to end up in TN 'cause everything is pretty much booked up.

Just get your things together and put them in those little plastic totes, what you can't or don't want to take try to place on top of your bed or the top of your closet (the beds float). I know you're anxious and worried, (we all are), but as long as you are out of harm's way it'll work out somehow.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM

248 posts, read 626,913 times
I have a hurricane folder now, katrina folder, even though I moved.... it is a zip notebooks, and inside in plastic sheet protectors are ss cards, medical records, birth certificates, immunization records, everything i need. i won't be caught without it again. i recommend it. i always headed to shreveport.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 AM

I will get stuck here I am a paramedic and I work a 24 hour shift on Saturday... I have no hope of getting out of here before then..

Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Quote:
Do you have family within even 6-7 hours that you can drive to?
You're going to have a hell of time finding hotel rooms in BTR and LAF. Shreveport supposedly still had a few. Then Memphis to the north. The best option is if you have family that's inland and you can stay with them, go for that. I have family in central MS and have evacuated there for two storms in the past, Katrina and Andrew.
You really don't want to get caught driving around Baton Rouge during the storm and having no place to stay, and that goes for any city really. If you need to, get online, make some calls, start looking for the closest hotel room and then make a plan with detailed directions (including possibly taking some back roads) to get to that location perferrably 48 hours before the storm hits.
Once contraflow begins out of NOLA, if you're on the interstate, you will be forced to go certain directions. Make sure you're going the direction you'll want to be heading in.
I'm going out for my supplies this evening after work. Best wishes to all, especially in and around New Orleans. Hopefully this thing plays itself out while crossing the gulf.
Maybe this will help some if you need extra guidence.
Get A Game Plan - www.getagameplan.org

Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM

248 posts, read 626,913 times
at least head to the north shore somewhere.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:58 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
They have absolutely no idea where this storm is headed until about 24 to 48 hours before it hits. Fay was tracked wrong and went all over Florida and stalled instead of heading north like they said it would. The Weather Channel camped reporters out in Key West and they had no story but then it flooded out the east central coast of the state.
I wouldn't panic for a few days until you have a good idea where it will hit, how fast its going, how much rain and wind its packing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana