U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM

248 posts, read 601,895 times

Advertisements

my family is still there and i hope they are already headed north to us in st. louis. what about this i heard everything south of I-10 should evacuate? For real, LC Lafayette and BR????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 PM

200 posts, read 648,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat1205 View Post
my family is still there and i hope they are already headed north to us in st. louis. what about this i heard everything south of I-10 should evacuate? For real, LC Lafayette and BR????
I could be wrong but I don't think that they have announced evacuations yet.

That being said, you know that once they do, the highways will be packed. If you don't have any reason to be in the area for the next 3 days, might as well beat the rush, and avoid being on the road 12 hours to make what would normally be a 4-hour road trip (especially with the cost of gas these days).

Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,406,705 times
Emergency Management for the state:http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/hurri...icaneindex.htm

Governor's Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness Home (http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/ - broken link)

Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

200 posts, read 648,420 times
A little more from the reporter in El Dorado, AR:

"The Camden News this afternoon is reporting that there are a few rooms available at the Super 8 hotel at 942 Adams Ave. They are going quickly, though.

The South Arkansas Chapter of the American Red Cross reports that shelters at College Avenue Church of Christ and at St. John’s Baptist Church on Wilson Street have been put on standby."

The shelters mentioned are in El Dorado, AR. Those are just the first ones. There are several more lined up ready to go if called upon.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,434,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat1205 View Post
They've always said that But I tend to disagree usually, but If I lived in Chalmette or Morgan City I would probably be that one resident on the block who refuses to leave lol. If you are inside BTR I wouldn't worry about evacuating. You'll probably lose power and have some high winds, but we never really see a desent into total chaos like Lake Charles and New Orleans are prone to. Parishes that you would definitely want to evacuate from would be Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Plaquemines, Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Mary, Vermillion, Lower St. Martin, Iberia, Cameron, Assumption, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist. The south of I-10 rule could be applied to Calcasieu, Jefferson Davis, Acadia, Lafayette, and St. Martin Parishes.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,823,667 times
St. Bernard (anticipated) manditory evac. 4PM Saturday. After the anticipated evacuation time no one will be allowed into the Parish and a very strict curfew will begin . Contraflow begins 4AM Sun. morning.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 PM

794 posts, read 3,202,798 times
There looks to be something going on tonight. Traffic at 6pm on the interstates today wasn't half bad, but just now looking at the local weather and traffic cameras, traffic westbound on I-10 looks considerably heavy. I'm guessing phased evacuations from some of the lower parishes. Or maybe it's just a huge early crowd for the early AM football game.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 PM

44 posts, read 190,766 times
Yep, Ill be sticking it out in the Westbank and in Lutcher... (working in Lutcher, live in WB). Im going to call my work and they will put me up in Lutcher if need be... if it hits west, Lutcher wont be the best place to be I guess.....
Best of luck to everyone! Bless you all!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:02 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,181,784 times
Default Contra Flow

How does the contra flow from N.O. change as you go west (past Baton Rouge)? I assume that Lafayette will also start contraflow - and their plan moves traffic east, not west. I have family coming to Houston from N.O. and want to make sure that they can get here.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,823,667 times
Cla, I've never gotten past BR with the contraflow and with the mess I've got going in the livingroom there is no hope of me finding my map Anyways, one of these sites should help you; best wishes to your folks.

La DOTD - Louisiana Downloadable Maps
http://www.dotd.state.la.us/maps/Con...w_SWLA_map.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana