Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,000,870 times

Advertisements

Tired but can't sleep. Left St. Bernard and am up on the North Shore above I-12. My neighbor Ms. Rambo decided to leave. Another neighbor left her windows open; we were concerned and stuck our heads thru the windows calling for her and banging on the door. There was no sign of Miss Mary so we can only hope that the open windows was just another one of her wacky ways.

SIL had the evacuation from hell. There was a crying cat, a yappy dog, a terrible two, a father who can't hear but wanted to hold a conversation from the back seat, and her mother is very sickly and needs assistance with everything. They got to Hattiesburg, MS and decided to stop and eat. Someone broke into her husband's truck and stole some of their things. On top of all of this she jack knifed with her trailer when backing out of the parking lot and damaged her vehicle.

Driven nuts, robbed, and wrecked, they say bad things come in threes so maybe things will be smooth sailing for them from here on out. At least that's what I told her. I'm glad she was laughing when she told me, 'cause it sure would have been rude for me to laugh first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,655,021 times
Isn't it amazing how bad people prey on good people! Dh said the same thing, and we certainly hope there will not be a lot of looting after the storm like before.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:18 AM

794 posts, read 3,350,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post

They got to Hattiesburg, MS and decided to stop and eat. Someone broke into her husband's truck and stole some of their things.
People prey on the vulnerable. That's pitiful. Some people just have no shame.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 AM

39 posts, read 241,132 times
The thought of people taking advantage of those that evacuate is unbelievable! I hope people like that get caught and hung. It's not a wonder that people are afraid to leave their homes.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,616,520 times
Default Attn: NOLA residents

If you live is NOLA and you're reading this post, please pack your belongings and leave the area now. If you have pets, crates have been provided along side the buses. I saw the pet crates on the news. Your pets can go with you. Please don't look for reasons to stay. Your safety and welfare is of the most importance. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,238,037 times
This from LA Animal Services:

LSART / Preparation Links

Also, there is an emergency pet shelter being set up in Dallas, Texas, for folks in the Reunion area. I can get more info if needed.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 AM

768 posts, read 4,379,758 times
Speaking of pets, for those of you evacuating to Shreveport-Bossier they have set up emergency pet shelters here as well. I am SO HAPPY to see people giving more thought to pets this time around.

Of course if you're still evacuating, don't come to Shreveport-Bossier because you will find it quite full already. The traffic last night amazed me when I went out for a very late dinner, but what amazed me more was that the Chinese buffet I stopped into was pretty busy at 9pm because it's next door to one of the shelters. A group of 15 Asian people who said they were from New Orleans came in the door as I walked in.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,238,037 times
At this time there is an influx of evacuees in Russellville, Arkansas (of all places)...for those just starting to think about leaving - if you have medications, PLEASE bring your bottles with you. The pharmacists in the new locale will have a difficult time transferring your prescriptions if power goes out and they cannot contact your regular pharmacy. The LA governor authorized emergency two month refills on some maintenance meds but you gotta know what they are.

Also, if you have a pet that is microchipped, please leave the chip info with someone else as well in case you and your pet get separated somehow (God forbid).

Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 AM

Honestly ya'll the thief almost did SIL a favor. He/she took the playstation and all the games. That thing irked her so badly because her hubby spent so much time on it. It was the loss of the GPS system that hurt. We have to laugh because he always talks about who ever would steal the truck would be doing him a favor, but they left the truck. LOL, that man is never going to have an excuse to get a new truck at this rate.

Thanks Sam for reminding me to get Mom's meds together!! I'd forgotten.

BTW anyone know what's up with the zoo and aquarium?

Last edited by Drouzin; 08-31-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 02:28 PM

Getting darker outside and a little dab of rain here in Slidell, when I talked to Hubby in St. Bernard I could hear a bit of wind blowing in the mouthpiece of his phone. The window for leaving is begining to close imo. Possible good news is the cooler dry air hindering development; new report should be out at four.

Thank ya'll for your good thoughts and well wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana