U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 30,834 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'm getting a job offer in Broussard once this hurricane mess is over with next week. What areas are good which ones are crappy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,721,624 times
Southside.

Northside north of I10 is pretty good, but its a very old part of town so mostly middle class families live up there. great community though. Below that is hte crappy part, and all along the I49/Evangeline throughway corridor is a very rough area youd be wise to avoid. but you can drive it most times of the day without incident and it is heavily traveled.

In general there arent many areas of Lafayette Id say Im actually afraid to drive in, but certain areas you have to be watchful. Another bad spot is Louisiana avenue where it meets johnston Street at Evangeline and continues toward the northside. Moss Street and Louisiana both border that rough neighborhood and there are a lot of fights, bars, and general crime there. the southside along Kaliste Saloom and Ambassador caffery is the most wealthy and nice side of town and a lot of construction and improvements are going on there. It is a very promising part of the city and very clean and friendly. Traffic is crazy though so be ready for that.
As for Broussard, I havent lived there, but again,. its on the south side of town and away from most of the trouble so it should be ok there.

Myself I live between johnston Street and ambassador in a large subdivision called Broadmoor. Its one of the larger neighborhoods in Lafayette and fairly old, but well designed and has a nice school and church in the middle of it. Its very convenient because its right across from the Mall of Acadiana and pretty much everything else. Id recommend checking out some places there if you can find any.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM

9 posts, read 30,834 times
Cool thanks I'm looking at a apartment complex at verot school rd and pinhook rd at the moment. HR lady said they had several employees that lived there, think its called south point, they're sending me an app in the mail for it. I plan on making a day trip next week or so and look but trying to narrow down the areas.

The only parts I've seen so far is just the drive from I-10 to Broussard when I went for my interview.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,215 times
Default I also am moving to Lafayette!

My husband has been promoted and we are moving to Lafayette from Evansville, Indiana next week! I am excited and nervous at the same time. He is currently in Lafayette looking for an apartment, you may have seen him....he's the one in the blue blazer doing 20mph trying to figure out his TomTom. He said Diamand Lake Apartments look nice; however our dog is above the 30lb weight limit, she can maybe pass as 40lbs.

WHat do you guys think of those apartments? We are looking for something close to Scott because that's where my husband's new building is.

So excited to take in the culture of Lafayette!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,721,624 times
the lower pinhook area is pretty good. I cant think of any bad areas around there. Its got decent access to everything via ambassador caffery and there are plenty of restaurants around.

I hope yall enjoy our great little city

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Southside.

Myself I live between johnston Street and ambassador in a large subdivision called Broadmoor. Its one of the larger neighborhoods in Lafayette and fairly old, but well designed and has a nice school and church in the middle of it. Its very convenient because its right across from the Mall of Acadiana and pretty much everything else. Id recommend checking out some places there if you can find any.

Hello, I am a first time user on the forum, but I have been in the Lafayette area for about three years now. I used to work near the Broadmoor area and they appear to have some pretty nice houses in that subdivision. I don't know about violent crimes in that area, but the Broadmoor area is said to be the nicer side of town by many. The main problem with that particular area is it is becoming "graffitied-up." It would be nice to have some type of city ordinance to clean up the graffiti in that area, especially since it looks like such a nice area. All that graffiti just makes it look kinna slumish. I once spoke with the owner of the Westmark shopping center, but he refuses to repaint his property.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 AM

5 posts, read 14,865 times
Hello! I am thinking about buying a home in lafayette. Saw one in austin village and austin cove (i believe that was the name) please tell me any info. You may have on this area.asap. Also any other areas in same price range and up
thank you,
dr.victoria

Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 19,326 times
Hi .... I wish I had ran across this site before we move here ... Not that it is not a Good Place to live ... Just that we are from Jefferson Parish ... We move here because the Storm Katrina.... Now from What I see there are many nice areas to live ... and yes The Northside is very much different from alot of the other areas... We live in Broussard which is very out the way of that area... It is alot smaller than the city of layafette area not as busy ... We recently have gotten a Walmart and a home depot which is great ... We don't have to travel so far .... THere is plenty traffic here .... I guess with all the new people including us has cause that to happen ... Their are many places to eat .... many places to shop ... it kinda reminds me of smaller verson of Texas .... The homes here are simple beautiful ... and their are many apartments that are nice ... If you move closier to the mall that is good if your don't mind traffic .... if you move out of the way like we did ... And you enjoy peace well Youngsville and Broussard is the place .... Their are many others as well like Scott and Ducson .... The best advice I can give you come on weekends and travel for yourself....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Southside.

Northside north of I10 is pretty good, but its a very old part of town so mostly middle class families live up there. great community though. Below that is hte crappy part, and all along the I49/Evangeline throughway corridor is a very rough area youd be wise to avoid. but you can drive it most times of the day without incident and it is heavily traveled.

In general there arent many areas of Lafayette Id say Im actually afraid to drive in, but certain areas you have to be watchful. Another bad spot is Louisiana avenue where it meets johnston Street at Evangeline and continues toward the northside. Moss Street and Louisiana both border that rough neighborhood and there are a lot of fights, bars, and general crime there. the southside along Kaliste Saloom and Ambassador caffery is the most wealthy and nice side of town and a lot of construction and improvements are going on there. It is a very promising part of the city and very clean and friendly. Traffic is crazy though so be ready for that.
As for Broussard, I havent lived there, but again,. its on the south side of town and away from most of the trouble so it should be ok there.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,916 times
Would like to do some voulenteer work in lafayette, LA...preferably covering up graffiti. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana