U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM

4,312 posts, read 2,326,186 times

Advertisements

I grew up right across from a seasonal slough, so I saw lots of snakes - plenty of them Water Moccassins and Copperheads. However alarming you may find them, the good news is that they'll ignore you unless they perceive a threat. So give them a fairly wide berth (about three to four feet) and you're likely safe. Rattlesnakes are another story, as some species are fairly high strung - give them at least TEN feet berth (I've NEVER seen a rattlesnake in the wild though, apparently rattlers tend to prefer dry or well-drained areas).

Even so, the best defense you have against snakes is to know where they are and where they like to curl up.

*Keep grass cut short (for obvious reasons)
*If you keep firewood or logs, look to make sure there's no snake there before grabbing one
*Ditto for any trash that is likely to provide good cover from the sun for a creature the size of a snake.
*Fill in any holes in the yard, or (if possible or reasonable, fill in any cavities in trees).
*If you have a chimney, put a screen over the chimney top - yes, snakes can and sometimes do climb up onto roofs.

*Any other precaution thought up by you or the other posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,223,274 times
Something else to keep in mind about snakes. They help to keep the rodent population down. I've never had a snake in my home but did find them outside. I'll usually use a rake to try to pick it up and move it out the yard if it won't move. This was out of concern for our dog and the snake. Not trying to scare you but you should learn about the brown recluse spider. Just about anyone can recognize a black widow spider but it's the brown recluse you need to be wary of more than any snake. Their bite won't kill you but it can do some damage. Look it up so you'll know what to watch out for.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,867 times
Just moved to Covington from New Jersey. Am deathly afraid of snakes. I saw two on the road. It appeared to be black or dark green with a yellow pattern. There is a small brook at the end of my property, anything to be concerned about. Afraid to allow the kids to play in the yard

Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k. moore View Post
Just moved to Covington from New Jersey. Am deathly afraid of snakes. I saw two on the road. It appeared to be black or dark green with a yellow pattern. There is a small brook at the end of my property, anything to be concerned about. Afraid to allow the kids to play in the yard
OMG I just moved to Covington-in a subdivision and not 4 weeks later there was a snake in my garage. I about FREAKED out. It was not that big (so says hubby) and we looked it up on the internet to find that it wasn't poisonous, but nonetheless, I changed my mind about setting up my craft room in the garage because of it. I have a fear of snakes to the point where when I was younger I CONSTANTLY dreamed about LOTS of snakes being around me and having to find my way out. More like a nightmare! We live near a bayou, but far enough away that I didn't even consider that might be an issue. I've even changed my mind about wishing we'd bought one of those "waterfront" homes lol. But, I'm trying to talk myself out of the mentality that they're out to get me and if hubby will have 1/2 of the garage closed in, I might reconsider moving out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or