U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 20,705 times

Advertisements

Well, I lived in New Orleans for nearly twenty years because it's not so easy to move and it does have a lot of culture and entertainment. But the basic statistics don't lie. I was burglarlized 8 times. Two of my friends were murdered. Both of those latter events made the papers for a while because they were not the type of people that get shot every day. People can twist statistics but the basic stuff, like crimes reported to the police, are plain truth.

Have you lived in Hammond recently? Maybe there still isn't much crime among the middle class or on the main commercial strip; but, it's happening in town. And there is spill over from the poor with armed robberies at fast food outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 04:50 PM

21 posts, read 94,027 times
Don't worry about being victimized by criminals, worry MORE about the local police! Believe me it's nothing short of hillbilly/bubba,Dukes of Hazzard country around here! Hammond is on my nightly delivery route and usually I have to go behind bulidings,(where it's pitch dark at night of course), to open door mounted key boxes and the other night this local cop pulls up behind me,(as I'm leaving),shining his bright searchlight in my face, blocking me in and shouting "what the f*&^% are you doing back there? I explain to the officer I'm just doing my job, making deliveries to the eye clinic,(Optical Shoppe behind Subway) ,and this guy is giving me a hard time, asking me if I had a problem and was giving him lip. This is why the crime rate is so high in this state, the stupid, cajun,redneck,bubba cops are too busy harrasing hard working people instead of looking for the criminals, the corruption stinks to high heaven. Louisiana is one the highest OUT-MIGRATION states in the union and it not hard to see why. Good luck whomever is considering moving here.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,061 times
Hammond has changed drastically since Katrina. Much more crime. I have live in Hammond since 1979. Went to SLU ’68 – ’71. I liked it so much, I bought a house. It was a great little town then. Of course the college was called SLC at that time. As the city grew the undesirable population grew as well. Once the low life population gets to a certain point, nothing can be done. Hammond will never be as it was all those years ago. You can take the chance and live here or you can choose a place that is unattractive to the undesirables and live a safe happy life. I will be leaving Hammond this year, moving to a safer area to live out my life. I’ve had to move once before to escape the undesirables, I use to live in New Orleans. There was a shooting right in front of my house, my neighbor was robbed. I didn’t wait for it to happen to me.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM

47 posts, read 145,202 times
Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnretired View Post
Louisiana is one the highest OUT-MIGRATION states in the union and it not hard to see why. Good luck whomever is considering moving here.
Louisiana born and raised --- and I'm getting out of Louisiana (currently Ponchatoula) IMMEDIATELY after I graduate in May!!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,061 times
Quote:
As I said, I lived in Hammond for years, and I was never a victim of a violent crime. I didn't know anyone else who was, either. I don't believe in allowing statistics to dictate one's decision to live somewhere. I know people who are happy living in New Orleans, despite what the media says. You should be careful wherever you are, obviously.

When I go to the beach for a swim and I see sharks in the water, I leave the beach and find a nice safe pool.

Logical ?

Well just apply this same logic to your neighborhood. If you see any sharks (undesirables) roaming around your neighborhood, leave and find a safer place to live. It will be worth the effort and expense, you and your family will be better off. Just go on line and google “best places to live” or “cities with the lowest crime”. You only live once, why not live in a nice place instead Moderator cut: trolling phrase .

Last edited by leorah; 02-04-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: fixed quotes, deleted inappropriate words

Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
hi me and my family r thinking to move to hammond from milwaukee. but i'm in search for a home or apartment for rent. and a place of employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana