U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,938 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and i are moving to hammond, we currently live in waggaman. so we know nothing baout the northshore or whats around there. we all ready have the house in a very nice subdivision. We are looking to get to know the area better can somsone please help !!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,943 times
Default Hammond is a nice place!

Hammond is a nice place. It is a college town. The home of SLU! (Go Lions!!) There is a focus on the arts in the downtown area. Lots of good restaurants. There are several good parks. North Park with a walking trail and water park, Cate square is historic and a quieter park, Clark park has a brand new huge play structure. A childrens museum is already in the works. Our mall is being redone into an outdoor living center. We have a super Walmart now and Target will be here soon. We have a palace movie theater.There are many opportunities to get involved in sports. There is a skate park. There are many civic groups and ssocial organizations. We are 45 minutes from New Orleans and 35 minutes from Baton Rouge. Hammond is really growing right now. It is a beautiful place to live in or visit.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 AM

4,046 posts, read 5,472,964 times
Moderator cut: edit as someone who lived in Hammond for years, I want to point out that I always felt safe. The few people I knew of who wound up being victims of muggings and such were outside doing something past midnight, and I figure that no matter where you are, if you're walking around in a poorly-lit area past midnight, lots of things can happen to you.

I think Hammond is a great place to be if you don't want to be out in the country but also don't want to be a in a large city with awful traffic. It has seen so much growth in the past couple of decades, and there's more to come, as another poster said. Some unique restaurants are there, like Tope La, too. And though it's missing some things for the moment, the drive to Baton Rouge isn't bad at all. Driving to New Orleans from time to time isn't infeasible from there, either (I knew some people who were commuting to work from New Orleans, actually).

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-13-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: stats incorrect - deleted that post, being looked into by Admin - so I orphaned part of your post

Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,305 times
Default need help in location of VA clinic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeemom5 View Post
Hi my family and i are moving to hammond, we currently live in waggaman. so we know nothing baout the northshore or whats around there. we all ready have the house in a very nice subdivision. We are looking to get to know the area better can somsone please help !!!?
I am getting ready to move there and I need to know the street or place where I can find a room for rent or salvation army

Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,305 times
I just got a job at the VA in hommond La and I need to know where to find a room for rent or salvation army to stay at.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 20,698 times
People moving to Hammond should be aware that its reputation as a small, low-crime city are out of date. Several years ago the crime rate began to soar and overall is now at about double the national average. Locals blame Katrina, but the increase had already occurred before the Hurricane. On the other hand, crime is half that in New Orleans, which is one of the nation's worst cities for crime. Moderator cut: deleted link to competing website

Last edited by leorah; 12-19-2008 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: No links to competing websites, please.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanian09 View Post
People moving to Hammond should be aware that its reputation as a small, low-crime city are out of date. Several years ago the crime rate began to soar and overall is now at about double the national average. Locals blame Katrina, but the increase had already occurred before the Hurricane. On the other hand, crime is half that in New Orleans, which is one of the nation's worst cities for crime. Moderator cut: deleted link to competing website
Have you ever lived in Hammond?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 PM

This is also backed up by the stats on this website, which shows high crime in 2001 as well as today:
City-data.com crime index = 1502.7 (higher means more crime, US average = 309.6)

Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 PM

I live five miles away in Albany. For this reason I keep a close eye on the local news. Even tiny Albany has had some crime recently.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanian09 View Post
I live five miles away in Albany. For this reason I keep a close eye on the local news. Even tiny Albany has had some crime recently.
As I said, I lived in Hammond for years, and I was never a victim of a violent crime. I didn't know anyone else who was, either. I don't believe in allowing statistics to dictate one's decision to live somewhere. I know people who are happy living in New Orleans, despite what the media says. You should be careful wherever you are, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana