U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 142,736 times

Advertisements

We are moving to New Orleans in about three months due to relocation for my husband's work. We are a young couple in our mid-thirties with two children under the age of five. We currently reside in the suburbs of Salt Lake City, Utah. I have a few questions if I may:

First, we like the Northshore areas of Slidell, Mandeville, Covington, and Albita Springs. My husband will be working near the University of New Orleans near Lakeshore Drive. About how long does the commute from my husband’s work to these places take? Is it common to have bad traffic jams on the causeways?

Second: We are hoping to find a safe neighborhood with neighbors who might have little ones also. We are in the low 200's budget wise; are there any specific neighborhoods and/or areas that one could recommend? I had read on a forum from 06' that the Northshore High School Dist. had neighborhoods like what I'm looking for...any thoughts? Would a different city be a better bet these days?

I don’t know what the market is like there currently. I know that in a good portion of the states, it is very VERY much a buyers market. However, here in SLC, the market hasn’t really dipped as low as in other areas. Are homes selling in the Northshore area? Has Katrina or current hurricane activity hurt the sales of homes at all? (sorry, these may sound like dumb questions)

Third: Could you tell me what Floodzone “C” means? Is there a website or somewhere I could read about different Floodzones and get a general idea of flood insurance costs?

From what we’ve read we are just entirely thrilled to be moving to the NOLA area. We actually honeymooned in New Orleans back in the day - and it really left it’s mark in our hearts. Thank you in advance for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,835 times
I can't answer all of your questions but I can give you good advice. It may seem safe to move to the North Shore but it will be taxing and you will miss out on the rich cultural experience of South Eastern Louisiana. There are places in Metairie and even New Orleans itself where you can find what you're looking for. Traffic will be unbearable coming from Covington and Mandeville (1 hr plus), Slidell is a little better but they are more vulnerable to flood surge.

Look in Metairie around Metairie rd, West Esplanade. New Orleans near the Lake closer to Metairie is also a good place to look. There will be symptoms of recovery but it is a part of life here. There are challenges to finding a good school in both Metairie and New Orleans and I can't speak about the schools on the North Shore.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM

16 posts, read 142,736 times
Thank you for your advice! I really love the idea of my husband being home more due to a shorter commute, though hubby is pretty much fixed on the Northshore area. I'll look into those areas you suggested and maybe can sway him Thank you again!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 AM

530 posts, read 2,450,556 times
You might want to post your questions in the "New Orleans" forum. It can take up to an hour to cross the Causeway. It there is an accident or bad weather, then you have to go around the Lake! For floodzone info:Floodsmart.gov: FAQS - Flood Zones You should be able to find some decent housing especially compared to SLC. Have you tried realtor.com? I'm not too sure bout the schools, I used to live on the south shore in River Ridge. Good Luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 AM

378 posts, read 1,047,620 times
Flood Zone C: FEMA: Frequently Asked Questions: General Information (http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/fq_gen13.shtm - broken link)

Areas outside of the one-percent annual chance of flooding.

Moving to New Orleans from SLC: Complete culture shock! But if you are going to move all the way here, go ahead and find someplace decent on the Southshore; i think commuting just takes too much out of you. I have heard some good things about the River Ridge area. Metairie and Lakeview are of course decent; don't know anything about schools.

The drivers here take some getting used to. Guaranteed they are 10x worse than SLC. A significant percent will be drunk, coked, or cracked up. So don't commute if you don't have to.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM

401 posts, read 791,913 times
I grew up in Metairie, LA and moved out in 2006.
I would suggest Metairie, Harahan, and River Ridge areas for decent commute and better schools.

Good luck on the move and try the seafood and NOLA favorites.

LAFrench

Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
Default moving to NO

You won't be that happy when you get there. High crime, cops very unfriendly, be careful having sex ( if you know what I mean).
Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM

195 posts, read 996,328 times
I think they will be happy there. I have a good friend in Metairie and like what I've heard of the place.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,068,094 times
The commute from the north shore will take a bit more than an hour each way. This will surely get old as time goes on.

Crime in the New Orleans area is a fact of life, but it's something you can learn to live with. Except for the older parts, Metairie is really cookie cutter to the max.

Public schools anywhere in the NO area are sub-standard.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 AM

4,589 posts, read 5,145,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher58 View Post
You won't be that happy when you get there. High crime, cops very unfriendly, be careful having sex ( if you know what I mean).
Good luck.
No, what do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana