U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM

1,772 posts, read 4,073,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Shinn View Post
Won't retype = added my 2c here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...las-vegas.html

And if we're voting on Haughton, it's perfect if you're of the cowpoke variety, or as we call em, rednecks and goatropers (relax, you know we do) it's for the country sorts. If you're looking for a little more cosmopolitan upscale or at least pretty white collar metro, then south Shreveport by far and Ellerby, etc. because you would find Haughton trashy, boring and disturbing. That's just relative to what you're looking for. I tried to steer clear of it, however Hilltop was awesom to hang out and camp without being in the wilderness! ;p

I take strong issue with whoever it was up there who mentioned the weather being great. That's so wrong it must be objected to. Weather in Shreveport, or anywhere in the state is pitiful. It's hot, humid, muggy and almost constantly raining for days on end...with about 3 weeks break before another round. Summers are muggy and miserably hot, spring and winter are brutal for severe storms with tornados, especially north Bossier and Benton - who got nailed by some nasty tornados, in fact that's why you couldn't pay me enough to live in Bossier - tornados do hit there pretty often of varying scale. Winters are miserably bone rattling cold without the advantage of a nice snow to justify it...only ice and slush. Then, of course, it'll be 82 degrees Christmas day and drop to 28 degrees December 28th.

The temps can be considered perfect and dry from September to October when it starts getting cold, then it deteriorates from there. Get used to near constant rain and muggy uncomfortable heat. And don't think for a second that you'll have more good hair days than afros in Shreveport! Humidity is hell and it'll wreck a pretty hairdo in no time. Friz city! (No, I'm being serious - tiz why you will still find tons of females in that area who have stock with Aquanet).

Don't believe me? Turn on the weather channel no matter where you are and just watch every night for the weather and mark your calendar every day you see the big red severe storm warning box covering almost all of north central or north central south Louisiana...do that for a few months and see how many "beautiful perfect days" happen compared to "duck and cover".

Shreveport would be a pretty great place to live were it not for the weather and the increasing crime in central areas. There are far better places in the US to live that blow it away so if there's a choice, if it were me, I'd consider other options. Otherwise, take care with the weather - they don't make houses with storm shelters! At least make it brick and steer clear of mobile homes anywhere in Bossier...the phrase twister magnet was invented there!
Well, I take strong exception to your exception. Your account of the weather here is way off. You described the state of Indiana to a T, which coincidentally I moved from to get here. Get your geography right. I've lived here for 2 years and there hasn't been a SINGLE time where there has been continuous precipitation for more than 72 hours, two hurricanes included. NEVER. In Indiana, yep 5 days straight of precipitation due to plain state continental weather patterns defined by slow moving low-pressure systems that create overcast days for extended periods of time. In Louisiana we've been blessed with average periods of 2 weeks of sunny to mostly sunny days before one day of precipitation, and in the summer most of the time the precipitation is due to fast moving high presure systems. Translation? Rains from 10am to 1pm and the kids are already playing soccer at 4pm under a bright sunny day so clear you can't tell it rained the day of.

As to the winter, you must be out of your mind. Winter here is an academic label, for there are none. Brittle cold without the benefit of snow? yep, once again you described central western Indiana, with flat landscape with howling winds and little snow accumulation for the temperatures, which are usually in the teens without wind chill factor and negative with wind accounted for. In Louisiana, there has been in the last 2 years exactly ONE day of snow precipitation and it didn't even accumulate on the ground. The rest of the quarter you're looking at temps hovering around 40F with overnight lows of 20 on the colder weeks and above freezing the majority of the season. Ice is the only potential problem, and again that's par for the course for the region, ever been to western North Carolina or Oklahoma City? Yeah that's ice storms worth mentioning. Winters in Sherveport/Bossier are child's play and rather warm for the latitude.

As to summers, yep it's hot, yep it's humid, don't like it, it's not as if it wasn't advertised. I'll take humidity over 120 degree "dry" Southwestern summers.

So let's recap, other than your complaint that its humid in the summer around here, the rest of your description of the weather patterns for Shreveport Bossier more accurately describe central Indiana than they reflect anywhere close to the median weather patterns of the area. I take off and land from/to Barksdale every day, so unless I've been asleep in the cockpit all this time and the weather squadron has been lying to me, I submit to you your assessment of the weather here is not accurate, feel free to disagree though, we still love the weather here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM

47 posts, read 138,538 times
you sure you're in the right Louisiana? My brothers love the weather there too - and I agree it's relative depending on what you're used to. I was spoiled on the excellent climate in Arizona, so compared to that and the frequency of rain, Shreveport was divided between soggy and muggy with intermittant respite of fairly decent weather. If you came from the waterlogged state then sure a lesser amount will seem like a miracle. By the same token, moving to a mild climate, continuous sunny skies and minimal rainfall, Shreveport was like living under water. Still, I got your 2 years beat by 43, and while global warming might have spaced out the dry days the truth of the matter is Louisiana is right off in the middle of the rain belt, every time the weather system changes over the rockies, it rains in La...if it changes too much, it rains and brings tornadic activity. Not all of them touch down, and not all of them wipe out a city when they do...but those that have touched down were F4 and F5 and it wasn't pretty. The tornado watches/warnings are serious business in that part of the state, however, to be fair, Louisiana is at the edge of tornado alley and most of the destructive outbreaks are up in Ark and Ok.

Re my brothers, they aren't bothered by tornadic risks (I think they're nuts), they'd stand out there and watch. Being in 2 was enough to make sunny Arizona the perfect option!

Last edited by Nikki Shinn; 11-07-2008 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 04:44 PM

42 posts, read 304,032 times
Living 60 miles from Shreveport, I agree with hindsight. The weather described by Nikki Shinn doesn't sound anything remotely like our weather here...Feels like we hardly ever get rain; in fact, I'm only 25 years old and have already lived through numerous summer droughts in north Louisiana.

We haven't had a seriously cold winter in at least 8 years. Last year it barely dipped below freezing.

But yeah, summer is AWFUL here. Absolutely sweltering, usually with no reprieve whatsoever until at least mid October. We've been known to be wearing shorts on Christmas Day.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM

772 posts, read 4,097,121 times
Quote:
And if we're voting on Haughton, it's perfect if you're of the cowpoke variety, or as we call em, rednecks and goatropers (relax, you know we do) it's for the country sorts. If you're looking for a little more cosmopolitan upscale or at least pretty white collar metro, then south Shreveport by far and Ellerby, etc. because you would find Haughton trashy, boring and disturbing. That's just relative to what you're looking for. I tried to steer clear of it, however Hilltop was awesom to hang out and camp without being in the wilderness! ;p
You're out of your mind. I moved out here not because I'm a "redneck" or "goatroper" (whatever the hell that is anyway) but because the homes in this neighborhood were going for quite a bit less than the equivalent inside Shreveport and Bossier. I am a "city boy", I have lived inside the city limits my entire life and my favorite places in the USA are, in this order: Chicago (my future home), Dallas, and Houston. Notice I didn't say Sheepf*ck, Oklahoma. That's because I'm not a redneck, and for you to make such a generalization of an entire town's populace shows your ignorance.

Most of my neighbors are members of the military, and only a couple of them would I consider "rednecks". The rest are just young adults with families who are trying to find somewhere affordable to raise their families without having to commute longer than 20+ minutes, or jeapordizing their safety.

Please refrain from stereotyping an entire town of roughly 3,000 people due to your own ignorance.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 AM

47 posts, read 138,538 times
Little testy there are we?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 25,534 times
Zita, I grew up in Shreveport and let me tell you its hard to avoid the crime areas. They are mixed in with all of the nice areas. I live in Baton Rouge now and at least the crime here seems to be isolated. But in shreveport you can be at the wal-mart in the lsus area and be scared to walk to your car at night. Its just so easy to get around shreveport and things tend to be very close together so crime spreads easier. As far as schools go, I attened a private school for my first 8 years, then Caddo Magnet High. Magnet is in a bad neighborhood (Middle Magnet too) but we never had any problems. Its the second best public high school in the state and any child that lives in Caddo Parish can attend it if they have good test scores. As far as Bossier goes, my uncle moved over to the Stockwell neighborhood so his grandchild could attend elementary school there. Supposedly the schools over there are supposed to be good (he ended up attending Fairfield magnet instead so I can't confirm that). The neighborhood though is really nice and very kid friendly. Every time I visit there are lots of kids outside riding their bikes and playing. He hasn't had any problems and it seems very safe. Plus it has close access to I-20 and I-220. As far as schools go I'd really try to send your kid to some kind of magnet school (a real magnet school, not one with just a program) or a private school. It definitely makes a difference. Hope I helped :-)

Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM

772 posts, read 4,097,121 times
Quote:
Little testy there are we?
We all have our bad days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or